Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2017, 09:15 PM

Default Instrument Track - No Input Monitoring Button - Why ?

I am curious as to why Instrument tracks do not specifically feature an input monitoring button the same as Audio Tracks do ?

I am answering my own question here (below) ..,

And that is because the Tracks REC Ready button will enable audio from the V.I to be heard.

..., but still curious as to reasons why (ie; technically speaking) any V.I inserted on an instrument track MUST be Record ready enabled before it can be heard ?

.., and why can't we have them heard without being being record enabled

The reason I thought of this question is because ...,
When Bluecat Patchbay is run as a Standalone App - I can still play my V.I when inserted in a slot ...., and Patchbay has no REC Ready button - so why can't Pro Tools allow this also
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's
Old 02-01-2017, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Instrument Track - No Input Monitoring Button - Why ?

Setup (menu) > Preferences > MIDI tab > Default thru instrument > First selected MIDI track. No need to have the track record-enabled to hear it.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen View Post
Setup (menu) > Preferences > MIDI tab > Default thru instrument > First selected MIDI track. No need to have the track record-enabled to hear it.
Doesn't that just enable MIDI on the first track on the list, rather than the track you've actually selected?
Old 02-01-2017, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Doesn't that just enable MIDI on the first track on the list, rather than the track you've actually selected?
First VI track in the session with none selected, otherwise the selected track.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:11 AM

Quote:
First VI track in the session with none selected, otherwise the selected track.
Ah right, thanks!!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:45 PM

thx Stig
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's
Old 02-02-2017, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Is it possible to have a few instruments hooked up using this method and still be playable .., say for example crew wanted to jam away without recording until they felt ready ?

I know that record enable should allow this , but just wondering if there were any other options available to achieve this without record arming the instrument track ?

Also is record arming adding any extra latency of CPU usage than without ?
Old 02-02-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafoam_Green View Post
Is it possible to have a few instruments hooked up using this method and still be playable .., say for example crew wanted to jam away without recording until they felt ready ?

I know that record enable should allow this , but just wondering if there were any other options available to achieve this without record arming the instrument track ?

Also is record arming adding any extra latency of CPU usage than without ?
You can't have multiple VI tracks selected and audible without record-enabling them. I'm curious; why are you wanting to avoid record-enabling tracks?

I haven't noticed any difference in latency or CPU usage, but I don't know the technicalities happening "behind the scenes".
Old 02-02-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I'm curious; why are you wanting to avoid record-enabling tracks?
I can't speak for the OP but I sometimes like to jam along with other musicians using VIs, but really don't want to record all my bum notes....
Old 02-02-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I can't speak for the OP but I sometimes like to jam along with other musicians using VIs, but really don't want to record all my bum notes....

Exactly - if you are recording on any other track, it means all armed tracks get recorded.

Sometimes you just have to go back to the old way of doing things, and use a MIDI track in combination with an Aux track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk