Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2019, 04:07 PM

Default How does PT First handle opening Projects with more than 16 tracks?

Hi all. I currently have a yearly sub. 19.6. I want to cancel my sub soon and explore other platforms. But I need to be able to bring up tracks from the past.

Would like to install PT First for this purpose. I am fully aware it is less capable. How does it deal with loading songs with more than 16 tracks? Does it outright reject it out give me the option of using 16 of my tracks at a time? Which would be fine.

Also, can I download First now? Want to experiment with it. My mac won't get confused by 19.6 co existing will it?

Thanks. Fro
Old 12-12-2019, 04:21 PM

Default Re: How does PT First handle opening Projects with more than 16 tracks?

On windows both programs can be on one computer, IDK about Mac but i cant think why it shouldn't work. AFAIK the first 16 tracks will be kept just like when moving from Ult to Native, it will take from 1 to the max allowed by Native.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:15 PM

Default Re: How does PT First handle opening Projects with more than 16 tracks?

Well there's nothing like experience. So first I backed my system up just....in....case 😆

Installation went fine. No conflicts. But loading up a song....

I can't say anything went wrong per se. Let's just call it weird. I need to learn what I'm doing but first impression is that it is only cloud related. Like there's a button right there for cloud collaboration. And it's telling me that I own the tracks and asking me if I want to relinquish ownership wtf?

So far it's not clear how/where file is saved. Cannot see it in finder. I believe it's in cloud only.

And yes you were correct it loaded up my first active audio tracks. Left out everything after 16.

I imagine this being a p.i.t.a. for loading all but the most minimal audio-only projects.

The whole point of all this is that I am considering going with cubase, as PT just doesn't sequence midi very elegantly.

I just want to BUY a program and get off the subscription treadmill. Would be nice to own PT and cubase (or whatever I go with) but monetarily must choose one.

I thought PT First would be a way I could keep PT for bouncing down/xferring audio to my future program

Ok must go to bed before I literally lose sleep over this.