Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2013, 03:58 PM

Default Shure SM57 Problem with Mbox 3 mini?

Hey guys, I just got my Shure sm57 mic and hooked it up to my Mbox 3 mini. I am running pro tools express through my new iMac. I have been recording a lil bit with going directly into the mbox with my guitar but now that I have my mic I have been trying to record my own amps and my acoustic.

For some reason the only way I can get my levels up in pro tools is if my gain knob on the mbox is all the way to the right. Not sure why this is, I am new to recording so I am sure its an easy fix but I figured I would see what you guys think.

I tried the mic on my guitar amp and then with my acoustic guitar and they both required that gain knob to be all the way to the right. When I plug my guitar directly into the mbox my gain knob does not have to be anywhere near all the way to the right so I am pretty lost with this problem.

Maybe you guys can help me with one other issue too. For some reason when I open a new blank session in pro tools I can't get any audio to record. After I arm the tracks I want to record I hit play and the cursor starts to move and my levels on the tracks are moving but there is no colored highlighting moving along with the track. I hope you guys know what I mean.

When I open a template session and arm a track to record, even if I don't play anything, that track will move along being highlighted a certain color and once I start playing you can then see the audio waves start to form. With a new blank session theres nothing except the cursor just moving along

Thanks guys
Old 12-30-2013, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Shure SM57 Problem with Mbox 3 mini?

The SM57 is not a big output mic, that said do you have a mixer or something to test it on?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-30-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
The SM57 is not a big output mic, that said do you have a mixer or something to test it on?
No I only have my mbox mini 3 and the pro tools express that came with it.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:14 PM

I have an mbox mini and if I plug an sm57 into it I do usually have to turn the gain almost all the way up. Make sure the d.i. Button is not pressed on the back when you use the mic. How loud is your guitar amp btw?

I don't know about the other issue, I've never used express. Is there a "track" menu? If so, try toggling input monitoring and see what happens.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenjb View Post
I have an mbox mini and if I plug an sm57 into it I do usually have to turn the gain almost all the way up. Make sure the d.i. Button is not pressed on the back when you use the mic. How loud is your guitar amp btw?

I don't know about the other issue, I've never used express. Is there a "track" menu? If so, try toggling input monitoring and see what happens.
My guitar amp is a Marshall 2x12". The volume on that isn't the issue because when I put the mic up to my acoustic the levels on the track stay almost all the way at the bottom until I turn that gain switch on the mbox all the way to the right, same thing when the mic is on one of the speakers on the amp and it doesn't matter where the volume on the amp is until that gain switch on the mbox is all the way to the right. Phantom power is not on and the -20db pad is not engaged either.

Oh, I have been creating mono live instrument tracks, should they be mono audio tracks instead? I'm still trying to learn the difference between all the different types of tracks.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:36 PM

Mbox 3 mini has a pad?

Yes audio tracks for any audio you record, instrument tracks are for virtual instruments and don't record audio.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenjb View Post
Mbox 3 mini has a pad?

Yes audio tracks for any audio you record, instrument tracks are for virtual instruments and don't record audio.
Yes, the gain knob can be pulled out to engage the -20db. Maybe for really high gain mics?

Ahhh, so the whole time I have been creating mono instrument tracks when I should have been creating mono audio tracks to use my mic with I'm such a goof sometimes.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:54 PM

Ha, didn't know about the pad...
Old 12-30-2013, 06:42 PM

ok, the mono audio track allowed me to record and see the audio signal move along while playing but i still have to turn the gain knob all the way to the right to get the levels normal this is driving me nuts
Old 12-30-2013, 07:24 PM

sm57 needs a bit of gain, mbox mini 3 does not have a lot of gain.. when i record with an sm57 i have to turn the gain knob almost all the way up too