Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 05-24-2017, 12:07 PM

Default Pro Tools sessions long term archiving

Which is the most secure and economical way of long term archiving Pro Tools sessions? Please share your experience....
Old 05-24-2017, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools sessions long term archiving

Consolidate all regions with fades (remember that a region/clip with fades on both ends is actually rendered as three seperate files)

- Save Copy In - Select Audio Files (This will get rid of any excess that make your file heavy)

- Close/Open Saved Session

- Open Clip List

- Select All

- Compact (This will trim the handles of all your region/clips to a specified length, I just usually leave it at a default of 1000ms)

Now you have a session which should be a lot smaller and easier to move around.

You can go two ways (or you may have another preference): Zip and Lock, or just move to an archive drive.

The Zip and Lock: Zip the session, this will make it even smaller. Then using some software like Encrypto you can password protect that Zip file. (Keep in mind that you'll have to unlock and uncompress the zip file which takes time, only use this option if you know that job is done).

Archive Drive: Keep the session folder as is and move it to an archive drive.

Naming convention - Think about a convention you'll stick to in order to make things easier to find. I like to use the clients last name as my exclaimer, for instance:

JOHN_dxEDIT_moviename_ARCHIVE_25.05.17

Where John is the client, edit is the type of session, and then an exclaim that it is archived so I know that I have conformed it to my format. Then dx means dialog, and movie name is self explanatory. I keep these two lower case to have two types of 'read through', where I can just read the lower case and see that it's dialog for this movie etc..

But find something that works for you, the above is just a quick example.

Paul Maunder does a good video about archiving too. I'll find the link and post it.

Good luck
Old 05-24-2017, 02:00 PM

Hard drive and CD-R lifespans are coming up short of what we used to be told. Your best long-term archival is probably going to be M-Disc(many current DVD burners are also M-Disc compatible)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-24-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hard drive and CD-R lifespans are coming up short of what we used to be told. Your best long-term archival is probably going to be M-Disc(many current DVD burners are also M-Disc compatible)
M-DISC - Wikipedia