Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2016, 11:09 AM

Default "Sessions overwrite current I/O Setup when opened" for PT12

Does anybody else see the need for an option to restore I/O Setups from sessions, like what was available in previous versions of Pro Tools? Something along the lines of "Always restore I/O Setup from session when opened" as a checkbox in preferences. I do appreciate a lot of the the changes made to the I/O Setup configuration in Pro Tools 12, including the automatic downmixing of multi-channel paths (although I think there should be preferences for downmix settings, perhaps using plugin presets from the Avid Downmixer plugin), but I have been bitten by it a few times.

For example, I was jumping back and forth between 2 sessions, one 7.1 and one stereo. The 7.1 session was an FX editing/tracklay session, and the stereo session was a music mix session. When switching from the 7.1 session to the stereo session I would always get the "Some Busses could not be remapped, etc." pop-up, where I could open the I/O Setup window and click the Restore from Session button to load my stereo I/O Settings. When switching back to the 7.1 session from stereo, I wouldn't get the pop-up when opening the session, and the 7.1 output path would automatically be downmixed to the stereo monitor path. If I caught this right away, I could simply open the I/O Setup window and click Restore from Session (from the session that was currently open), as long as I hadn't saved. If I had saved (which I tend to do obsessively), then Restore from Session wasn't available and I had to use Import from Session, which resulted in my having to delete the stereo output path and spend time remapping the output busses to the correct paths, etc.

Has anybody else had this experience? If so, I might start an Ideascale topic.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:24 PM

It would be good to have that as an option.
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 04-29-2016, 08:22 AM

Default Re: "Sessions overwrite current I/O Setup when opened" for PT12

Ideascale post is here:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...79?submitted=1

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:09 AM

I agree. I have pushed for this, and will continue to do so.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-29-2016, 09:13 AM

+100 ^^^^^^^
Old 04-29-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Does anybody else see the need for an option to restore I/O Setups from sessions, like what was available in previous versions of Pro Tools? Something along the lines of "Always restore I/O Setup from session when opened" as a checkbox in preferences. I do appreciate a lot of the the changes made to the I/O Setup configuration in Pro Tools 12, including the automatic downmixing of multi-channel paths (although I think there should be preferences for downmix settings, perhaps using plugin presets from the Avid Downmixer plugin), but I have been bitten by it a few times.

For example, I was jumping back and forth between 2 sessions, one 7.1 and one stereo. The 7.1 session was an FX editing/tracklay session, and the stereo session was a music mix session. When switching from the 7.1 session to the stereo session I would always get the "Some Busses could not be remapped, etc." pop-up, where I could open the I/O Setup window and click the Restore from Session button to load my stereo I/O Settings. When switching back to the 7.1 session from stereo, I wouldn't get the pop-up when opening the session, and the 7.1 output path would automatically be downmixed to the stereo monitor path. If I caught this right away, I could simply open the I/O Setup window and click Restore from Session (from the session that was currently open), as long as I hadn't saved. If I had saved (which I tend to do obsessively), then Restore from Session wasn't available and I had to use Import from Session, which resulted in my having to delete the stereo output path and spend time remapping the output busses to the correct paths, etc.

Has anybody else had this experience? If so, I might start an Ideascale topic.

I will vote +1. Also a simple way to fix I/o by resetting all I/O settings in a session.

This process is a source of many of my issues with app hangs. I have had to default my I/O, open and save sessions and then import to a new session to all but eliminate the hangs. However overtime it appears they start coming back. I figure that a plugin is causing some issues with saving the session which in turn then corrupts the I/O and wavecache files. And then it is a downward spiral. I have moved back to 12.4 and will go back to 11.3.1 if necessary. Avid support has been helpful for me to understand what is happening. In the meantime running older sessions is difficult when I have to remove plugins to run reliably.

Last edited by jjnssn; 04-29-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:07 AM

Hey MADI,

I haven't had any of the issues with hangs that you're describing, but I have a dual boot system and I'm opening older sessions on a Mavericks/PT11 partition and only working on sessions created in 12 on the Yosemite/PT12 partition.

Are you having any issues with creating new projects in 12 using older templates created in 11? I have heard of people having problems doing that.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Hey MADI,

I haven't had any of the issues with hangs that you're describing, but I have a dual boot system and I'm opening older sessions on a Mavericks/PT11 partition and only working on sessions created in 12 on the Yosemite/PT12 partition.

Are you having any issues with creating new projects in 12 using older templates created in 11? I have heard of people having problems doing that.

My issues are on a PC. I am in the process of splitting the dictionary between W8.1 and W10 / PT11 and 12, and plugins.

For example yesterday; W8.1 and 11.3.1, I created 128 mono tracks in 44.1k 24 bit session. I created the tracks then deleted them, saved the session and then went to exit ProTools. Pro tools hung. I didn't load any plugins. I shutdown my system, power cycled my HD gear and tried to reproduce with out a problem. I have run digitest on my system many times rest my and reloaded firmware on the HD gear including HDX card.

The only observation is when opening pro tools prior to the first hang, the system usage in the DSP would show zero on all chips. Now after the hang when I open pro tools the mixer shows up as using DSP with no session open. I went back and check W10 with 12.5, which has hung also, same thing.

I have a series of drive images. I am going to go back to the fresh W10 and 12.5 and verify if the DSP is zero.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:06 AM

This would be super important to have. I have one HD I/O and I routinely need outputs 3-6 for outboard in my stereo sessions, which I then use for 5.1 outputs in surround sessions. Infuriating in PT12 and a clear downgrade in functionality.
Windows 11 23H2, Intel i9-14900KS, MSI PRO Z690-A D4, 64 GB DDR4 4000MHz/CL18, Corsair HX1000, 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0, 5TB M.2 PCIe 3.0, 2TB QVO, 2x6TB WD Black, Noctua NH-D15, Fractal Design Define R6 + RTX4070 - PT Ultimate 2024.3

Used to be/ Spare/ DAPS: Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 3,46Ghz 12 Core, 96GB RAM, OS SSD and Sata3 Audio SSD, macOS Mojave, PT Ultimate 2021.10, DAPS 3.7.1

HDX2, MTRX Studio & DAD MOM, HD I/O 16x16, Apogee AD/DA 16X/X-HD and ICON D-Command ES.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:43 AM

Don't forget this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IO.jpg (52.2 KB, 0 views)
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n