Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Re: sinking tape to protools

Quote:
Quote:
Dude... Try this: stripe an empty track on the tape with SMPTE time code. Buy a SMPTE to MTC converter. Find a spot in timecode before the audio begins on the tape .It doesn't have to start right on the first beat, any time before. Set ProTools to "online" and enter the timecode start time from the previous step in the dialog box. Enter record mode in PT. Press "play" on the tape deck and record the first pass (8 tracks per pass is it?). Rewind tape to begining. Record the next pass, and so on. Good Luck!
Just using a SMPTE to MTC converter box isn't good enough for synch. That'll only give him trigger, the transports will be running at different speeds.

Rail
Doesn't PT continuously sync to MTC? I haven't had to do this since I finished with ADATs, and that was with Logic. I also used to use this method with a reel to reel 8 track and MasterTracks Pro, but that was with MIDI tracks running only. God, I'm old...

I thought PT would sync right up. So if I try to transfer some multiple tape ADAT material using a JL Cooper Datasync, PT will only trigger it's record mode? If so, that sucks.

Thanks for the info
Old 07-17-2004, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Doesn't PT continuously sync to MTC?
That's impossible.. MTC has no speed info, just time info. To control the speed of any Digital Audio Workstation you have to do it via the word clock.. which in LE means you have to control it via S/PDIF or ADAT clock.

Using only MTC will have Pro Tools (or any DAW) simply start playback at the right place.. but the source and Pro Tools are running at their own internal speeds. Synchronization, by definition means that the transports are running at the same speed.. to achieve that they must share a common clock.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 07-17-2004, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Doesn't PT continuously sync to MTC?
That's impossible.. MTC has no speed info, just time info. To control the speed of any Digital Audio Workstation you have to do it via the word clock.. which in LE means you have to control it via S/PDIF or ADAT clock.

Using only MTC will have Pro Tools (or any DAW) simply start playback at the right place.. but the source and Pro Tools are running at their own internal speeds. Synchronization, by definition means that the transports are running at the same speed.. to achieve that they must share a common clock.

Rail
I guess I'm not being very clear, sorry. Logic has (or at least had) a function called "Continuously Sync to Timecode". I assumed syncing the digital clocks was a given, unless your transfering from analog tape of course. I think we may be talking about different things, and that may be my fault.

I was merely suggesting that to transfer more than one pass of an analog tape, PT may be able to reference where in time it's recording the second (and so on) pass by referencing the timecode striped on the tape. Hence recording multiple passes with the tracks in sync with each other. I may have misunderstood the OPs problem.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2004, 12:18 PM

When using an analog deck.. you need to resolve the analog transport with an external tape synchronizer like a Timeline Lynx.

If you have the right hardware, like a MOTU DTP, you can synchronize to just SMPTE/LTC by generating a clock by phase locking to the synch words of the incoming LTC stream. This however reduces the stability of the clock and is usually considered the last option.

Rail
Old 07-18-2004, 05:11 AM

In the studio I worked at we sync'd a studor, a DV reference drive (for scrubbing video for sound effects editing), a digibeta cam recorder,a DAT, and a Yamaha O2R all to PT24. All it takes 1 timecode generator ie.motu and (we called it) striping one track on everything with code to sync all. Keep in mind striping should be done to everything first and secondly the tape machine is mechanical...they will drift.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Dude... Try this: stripe an empty track on the tape with SMPTE time code. Buy a SMPTE to MTC converter. Find a spot in timecode before the audio begins on the tape .It doesn't have to start right on the first beat, any time before. Set ProTools to "online" and enter the timecode start time from the previous step in the dialog box. Enter record mode in PT. Press "play" on the tape deck and record the first pass (8 tracks per pass is it?). Rewind tape to begining. Record the next pass, and so on. Good Luck!
Just using a SMPTE to MTC converter box isn't good enough for synch. That'll only give him trigger, the transports will be running at different speeds.

Rail
OK Rail,
here is what is was thinking, i would get a JL Cooper PPS2 and use that.
what else would i need to make this right??
robert.
blue ray player
HDX 1, 2 16X16 interfaces
sync I/O.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Just using a SMPTE to MTC converter box isn't good enough for synch. That'll only give him trigger, the transports will be running at different speeds
A PPS2 is a SMPTE to MTC converter box.

What do you think?

Rail
Old 07-18-2004, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Just using a SMPTE to MTC converter box isn't good enough for synch. That'll only give him trigger, the transports will be running at different speeds
A PPS2 is a SMPTE to MTC converter box.

What do you think?

Rail
What i would like to know is this.
what one piece of equipment can i buy that would do what i want and do it well?????
Thanks for your time
Robert
blue ray player
HDX 1, 2 16X16 interfaces
sync I/O.