Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 PM

Default Completely Bizzare Issue

I'm in the middle of scoring a movie in PT10 on a Macbook Pro (16GB Ram, early 2010 model). There's a part towards the middle of one of the dialogue/sound fx sessions where all of a sudden a low rumble begins (sub frequency, probably in the 30-45hz range).

This rumble is not in the session. It is not an effect or sound I've ever created. It's not on any of the tracks or plug-ins. It does not make this sound when I'm playing the session in Pro Tools normally but rather ONLY during real time bounce. The sound begins about halfway through the session (fades in slowly), then stays till the end.

Let me repeat that this only happens during real time bounce. Anyone have ideas?
Old 08-24-2013, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Completely Bizzare Issue

Have you tried a bounce to track? Does it show in the bounced file? You sure it's not bouncing any meters?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-25-2013, 01:38 AM

it sounds to me that it´s kind of an internal feedback

did you try to create a new session and import all data from the current session ?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 08-25-2013, 04:23 PM

I will start with the stupid stuff that I have encountered.

Is it on the Dialogue track? I mix music and sometimes there is an odd sound effect or rumble that they left in by mistake.

Do you have a plug in that automation starts up, like an analogue mixer? Sometimes, the default setting starts with a 50 or 60HZ hum to make it sound like real analogue gear, like on a Bomb Factory 1176.

Let's start with that stuff. If you are doing the score, and it's on the dialogue track, simply mute it while you work, and alert the Post guys, or contact the production office. Sometimes, the videos are made by interns in the office and they mess up.

I know you said this happens only during a bounce. I assume it's actually printing, right? I would also try muting things one at a time until the problem is found. It isn't black magic...just trial and error. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:36 PM

I ended up tracking it down to an echoboy plugin. There was an echoboy on one of the door slam sounds. It had a very high feedback (second to top notch), and somehow it just slowly feedback and kept getting louder and louder to the point where it wouldn't be audible till about 5 minutes after the sound. I only heard it in bounce because that's the only time that it would have that much time to grow without being interrupted by pausing playback. Really difficult issue to track down. Thanks for all the ideas though.