Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 07-02-2020, 02:37 AM

Default Quantize midi bars to beat markers

I am trying to create a tempo map for a midi file so I can sync it to a recording, currently I am inserting a beat bar and manually adjusting every tempo change. However for large classical audio clips this can take months, and so I have developed a program to snap midi bars to a tapped tempo map. Unfortunately this program fails when sections are hard to tap, and combining tapped tempo maps is very difficult.

I am currently trying a different approach, by creating a recording midi track and tapping a random note to the beat, I can use beat detective to create beat locations for every tapped note (similar to my program). Unfortunately, I cannot find a way to snap the midi beats to my tapped beats. I was hoping that pro tools supported a way of doing this, as the only other way is to export the tempo map and combine a tapped tempo map with a script, then re-import which would be very difficult and time-consuming as pro tools does not allow for imported tempo maps from midi's without overwriting the current one.

Just to clarify, I do not want to quantize notes, only the beats. E.g. (using 4/4 time) the 1'st bar, 3rd beat in the midi file gets snapped to the third selected beat marker. The 2nd bar, 1st beat in the midi gets snapped to the fourth selected beat marker, etc.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by EagleEye5; 07-02-2020 at 02:53 AM.