How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2010, 09:36 AM

Default Crossgrade with Mbox 1st generation

Hello

I ordered my PT 9 crossgrade a week ago. AFTER paying, i saw that the first mbox is not eligible for crossgrading. So i wrote a message to avid. Then the swiss support called and said tha he can do nothing, someone from avid should contact me. But WHY is there no mail, call or whatever from avid?
It's very frustrating!

And why is on the avid-page no crossgrade information???? It's horrible!! Everything is eligible, expect the 001 and the 1st mbox.

Eligible and supported are different things! I know that PT does not support this mbox since version 8.
So, i paid for a crossgrade from PT LE.

Please, can someone help me?

Greetings from switzerland

boddo
Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Crossgrade with Mbox 1st generation

Since your can't see it at TOP is this page
For Avid Support CLick this link

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=349427
Old 11-17-2010, 10:35 AM

Sorry to hear about your situation. I can understand your frustration, given the fact that you hoped the original MBox would be supported. Unfortunately, Avid dropped support for it awhile ago because it's now 2 generations old. Usually when companies do this, it means that support is discontinued for all future releases including Pro Tools 9. Trust me, many PPC users in the Mac HD forum felt the same way as you when their support was dropped earlier this year. That's just the nature of technology.

I would encourage you to look at the bright side though. You now own Pro Tools 9, and it is a HUGE improvement over PT LE 8 with major benefits such as increased track counts and busses, ADC and the ability to use it with third party interfaces. You can even run PT 9, untethered to hardware, with just an Ilok connected to a laptop for remote editing and mixing capabilities.

If I were you, I would take this opportunity to check out some of the new interfaces that are now available to you. The Apogee Duet has dropped in price, the new Avid MBox is a substantial leap forward in sonics and the RME Babyface will be in stores any day now. These are exciting times for LE users, so don't worry as you will probably find yourself in a much better place before long!

Hopefully, Avid will get back to you soon but my understanding is that they are very busy right now. There may not be much that can be done, so in the mean time consider checking out some of the new interfaces I suggested.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 AM

Thanks @ Roberts!
I saw the link, i wrote them mails, but no answer...
When you fill out the support-form, you will automatically be directed to the swiss Avid dealer. And he says he can do nothing. Great, isn't it?

Thanks @ drumster!
You're right, there are many other great interfaces, especially the babyface Probably I'll buy one
But my problem is the activation of my PT 9. For activating, you need a hardware serial (see this link http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3...reauswhlen.jpg)
There is no mbox! So i can't activate my PT 9, i paid for nothing i think!

I don't understand why i can't do a crossgrade with an mbox, don't matter if the mbox ist still supported or not!
I will use another interface, no problem! But why should this crossgrade offer not work with my good old mbox?
Avid should write an article in the knowledge base for this crossgrade!

Sorry for my english, i'm from switzerland. Normally we speak german here ;-)

Greez
Old 11-17-2010, 12:54 PM

The following thread seems to speak more about the status of the original MBox as it applies to the crossgrade to Pro Tools 9: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=285829

Also, it seems that Avid have it listed in red in their online store: http://shop.avid.com/store/product.d...24639693075136

This being the case, perhaps Avid will refund your money for the crossgrade as it's possible that the information regarding the first generation MBox wasn't listed on the store site at your time of purchase. I may have a better idea for you though! Why not go out and purchase a new Avid Mbox bundled with Pro Tools 8? That way you could use the serial number from the new MBox to authorize your recently purchased crossgrade to Version 9. This might be your best option as Avid's Max Gutnik has gone on the record to say that anyone who purchases a crossgrade to Version 9 before the end of the year will spend less than if they wait to purchase a new interface and systems bundle with Pro Tools 9 in 2011.

If you're concerned about the sound quality of the new MBox, I can assure you that the new MBox is an impressive interface within this range and works flawlessly with PT 9. I'm a PT HD user, but am currently testing both an Apogee Duet and new Avid Mbox side by side in my studio right now for my laptop based portable rig. I will write a more thorough review at a later time, but I can tell you that the MBox is the clear winner so far!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:14 PM

Hi all, well the same thing has happened to me. Just upgraded to PT 10.2 on Mac Lion 10.7.4, and what planet was I on to think that an MBox bought in 2005 could do the trick for all my new juiced up software!

Cheers for the good vibes Drumster... absolutely it is great opportunity to upgrade to a new interface.

The only thing I will say is, that I have done all my business through Digital Vilage in Acton, from day 1 back in 2005. When ordering the upgrade, they did not think to mention the MBox scenario, even after they had all of my details on the system. Not only that, they also gave me an incorrect activation code for an M Powered crossgrade, whereas i wanted an LE cross grade. They also sold me an iLok for my cross grade, whereas if i had Mpowered in the first place, I would have already had the iLok.

I understand the guys are busy, and its also up to us to know the score, but they also have to realise that not all customers are as savvy as they are, and that just a little more attention to customer care makes all the difference.

Having said that, the Avid phone support was fantastic.

Onwards and upwards
Happy music making
George
Old 07-27-2012, 10:17 PM

A vaguely related question (apologies if I've missed a response to this before, there's a wealth of threads in this forum!), but I'm looking into getting back into making music after a few years' break. When I upgraded my PC to Windows 7 I wasn't able to use my MBox and Pro Tools LE 6.7 as PT6.7 wasn't supported by Windows 7 and the MBox 1st gen by the latest version of Pro Tools.

I've now moved to a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 as my audio hardware, and was hoping to use the LE crossgrade to move to PT10. I know that the original MBox isn't supported by PT10, but also that Pro Tools is no longer hardware-specific, so I was wondering if I were to buy the crossgrade, would I be able to use it with my KA6, or is that not going to be possible?

Thanks,
Phil
Old 07-28-2012, 06:42 AM

You are not eligible for the crossgrade because you have an Mbox 1. The crossgrade is based on the hardware serial number, not the software. The Mbox 1 was never eligible for the crossgrade, as these other people found out.

You can certainly use your Komplete Audio 6 with PT 10 (in fact it works great), but you'll need to buy the full version of Protools.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:55 AM

This may be a real stupid question but I'm about to buy PT crossgrade. I have an mbox2 (not the pro). I know it says two, two for generation 2 right?
I want to be absolutely sure I don't have to go through having to contact someone because I was wrong.

edit
btw are any codes or serials, ilok keys needed in order to download? I have to download in the library and better know what to take with me since this internet connection here is medieval.

THank you