How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Errors and hyperthreading

to permanently disable hyperthreading...

Terminal:

sudo nvram SMT=0

To re-enable hyperthreading, use the command:

sudo nvram -d SMT

Changes take place on a reboot . . .

This one writes to your firmware so it stays even through rebooting into other systems.
There are a couple other temporary commands that only apply until a reboot.

this one is from the reaper forum... seems reaper spikes too
anyways...
pro tools now shows only 8 cores now... before it was 16 cores
seems it runs smoother now...
macpro 2009 nehalem 2x2,26 GHz ouad core intel xeon

cheers
d
Old 03-02-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I am only answering this for the benefit of others.

UAD are affected the most because people have a tendency to use different UAD plugins all over the place and each one counts as one towards the arbitrary instance ( i believe it's 128 but i am NOT 100% SURE, i have to look that up again).

You can easily find people with pro tools and no UAD having the same issue with aax plugins once they reach a certain amount.. Just search for my plugin won't insert in pro tools or my project reloads with missing plugins... It doesn't matter whether it's pro tools, cubase, sonar, reaper, whatever.
It's a windows thing.

Steinberg *are* attempting to release a cubase patch, (perhaps like some sort of internal bridge) but it has already been delayed months as it's obviously a lot more complicated than they thought. Pro tools is 100% affected..

The workaround now is to use jbridge as that opens each plugin in it's own process.

Now why don't you stop putting words in my mouth, i never said it was only a UAD issue, I said from the start it was one of the most affected.. but i clearly explained WHY it happens and not only UAD plugins are affected.

Waves were seriously affected because once again it is a large suite of effects that people use many different ones of.. after a certain number no effects can be added.

However i believe waves fixed it themselves recently, which indeed is the right thing to do. it is up to the plugin dev to code properly.

As Noel Borthwick of Cakewalk and now it's new owners said, static linking to the c runtime is very bad.

Now, stop trolling me FFS.. just mute me FFS..

I am specifically starting a support ticket at AVID to ask for a permanent restraining order as such, that you are not allowed to talk to me or reference me in anyway.. JUST LEAVE ME ALONE.

Not one single post of mine exists in this forum, where i have quoted you and started anything without you quoting me first. And it all started from that disgusting insult you heaved at me which you still haven't apologised for, in a topic where i was asking for advice, POLITELY.

I really hope it can be sorted at Avid's end and they can put a stop to this, cause you are so incredibly immature it's beyond belief. I have practically begged you to just stop talking to me for MONTHS now, and you won't. Can you imagine, a grown man forcing someone into their life continuously, who wants nothing to do with them? That's what you are doing. At least the other guy stopped. He got the message as the mod jumped in.

Once again, i will never mention your name, quote you, talk to you or about you, say you are wrong or right, NOTHING, if you just pay me the same courtesy.

MODS, do you see how this guy trolls me? He puts words into my mouth.. he takes a snippet of something I say, and then twists it to make it something else. This is how people like this get their forum jollies and I wish the mods could just see it and deal with it.

And for anyone who wants to know, as this guy is just not going to stop.. this is what started it:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=396354

note my kindness and politeness in the entire topic, the way i speak to people, until he attacks with a vile insult on page 2.

This guy doesn't even know who I am or what my experience is, or the fact my entire job was building windows machines and servicing them at a well known computer store in melbourne for 10 years.. I switched to mac and i was a little bit rusty as i hadn't never tried windows 10 (now have), so asked for some advice on something..

I have taken screenshots of everything as I am so sick of this BS.

For someone to continue not to change that post or apologise, like i have done every single time i have made a mistake, PROVES beyond any shadow of a doubt that for some reason, guitardom WANTS trouble with me at this forum, when i simply want nothing to do with him. It's like he seriously gets off on it. That's what I truly believe. Like little digs here and there, just to spark tension purposely.. That's what a trouble maker who thinks they are forum God does.. so as i said, hopefully avid will deal with this themselves once and for all.

When i spoke to the mod here, and said, "who talks to people like this".. the mod didn't even grace me with a reply.

yet people want me to be nice to this $^#&$I(

I will not. But my offer stands for him to leave me alone and vice versa
You need to start backing up all these claims you are making about Pro Tools only being able to load so many plugins, plugins disappearing on startup, unable to use systems at low buffers with more than 14 logical cores in PT on Windows, etc.

You are making serious acquisitions about flaws in Pro Tools with nothing or nobody else or proof to back it up. You continue to post these as facts which is what makes it so odd. Again, some people with 4 cores or even 12 cores (with hyperthreading) are having spiking issues. Other people using 4 cores or 12 cores (with hyperthreading) are not. Pointing out that some people are having the issues while ignoring those who are not, does not support your argument.

Here is a video with over a 1000 plugins. doing this "Performance test 2" on a 7900x, I can hit around 200 tracks, which is about 2000 plugins. So I am simply asking where this limit is?? Why are others not experiencing this in Pro Tools??

If you are right, everyone (including Avid) should probably know about this.

Stop acting as some sort of victim and put forth some help.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-02-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
You need to start backing up all these claims you are making about Pro Tools only being able to load so many plugins, plugins disappearing on startup, unable to use systems at low buffers with more than 14 logical cores in PT on Windows, etc.

You are making serious acquisitions about flaws in Pro Tools with nothing or nobody else or proof to back it up. You continue to post these as facts which is what makes it so odd. Again, some people with 4 cores or even 12 cores (with hyperthreading) are having spiking issues. Other people using 4 cores or 12 cores (with hyperthreading) are not. Pointing out that some people are having the issues while ignoring those who are not, does not support your argument.

Here is a video with over a 1000 plugins. doing this "Performance test 2" on a 7900x, I can hit around 200 tracks, which is about 2000 plugins. So I am simply asking where this limit is?? Why are others not experiencing this in Pro Tools??

Just a note here for what it's worth. I'm not sure I understand your post correctly but if you're saying that there isn't evidence of the seriousness and/or non-uniformity of the various forms of the ProTools "spiking" problem beyond this OP's claims, I assure you there is. In fact, MASSIVELY so. This DUC is full of various posts describing problems people have been having for nearly 5 years. Same with the outside forums. And Avid is absolutely, totally aware of it and has been for just as long. To pick one figure of merit, Avid's stock price hasn't been in the toilet forever for no reason.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
Just a note here for what it's worth. I'm not sure I understand your post correctly but if you're saying that there isn't evidence of the seriousness and/or non-uniformity of the various forms of the ProTools "spiking" problem beyond this OP's claims, I assure you there is. In fact, MASSIVELY so. This DUC is full of various posts describing problems people have been having for nearly 5 years. Same with the outside forums. And Avid is absolutely, totally aware of it and has been for just as long. To pick one figure of merit, Avid's stock price hasn't been in the toilet forever for no reason.
No, he is stating that a problem that affects Cubase in particular, which has to do with using a Windows system with more than 14 logical cores, creates a series of issues, including the CPU spiking. Then he states that in Pro Tools, you can only instantiate a certain number of plugins because of it and it causes plugins to disappear when you open a session. He is the only person making these claims in Pro Tools, and he is not even a Windows user which makes it even more odd.

I am stating that the problem is across all systems of any core amount and any platform (Mac or Windows.) I am stating that Pro Tools does not have the MMCS issues that Cubase has. Him pointing to a Windows user with a 10-12 core system that has the CPU spiking issues is not proof of his claim when many people run Pro Tools on those CPU based systems without problems.

As I stated a couple posts up, he is confusing multiple topics and placing them under one heading and general assumption.

The stock price is not correlation the CPU issue, that does not make sense. Many users run Pro Tools without these problems. It is obviously an issue that affects many users though regardless.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-02-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
No, he is stating that a problem that affects Cubase in particular, which has to do with using a Windows system with more than 14 logical cores, creates a series of issues, including the CPU spiking. Then he states that in Pro Tools, you can only instantiate a certain number of plugins because of it and it causes plugins to disappear when you open a session. He is the only person making these claims in Pro Tools, and he is not even a Windows user which makes it even more odd.

I am stating that the problem is across all systems of any core amount and any platform (Mac or Windows.) I am stating that Pro Tools does not have the MMCS issues that Cubase has. Him pointing to a Windows user with a 10-12 core system that has the CPU spiking issues is not proof of his claim when many people run Pro Tools on those CPU based systems without problems.

As I stated a couple posts up, he is confusing multiple topics and placing them under one heading and general assumption.

The stock price is not correlation the CPU issue, that does not make sense. Many users run Pro Tools without these problems. It is obviously an issue that affects many users though regardless.
Man, I sure DID misunderstand your post! I should know better than to read a single entry and comment without reading more background - sorry! However I don't necessarily agree with your comment about the correlation between the various forms of the -917X problem and stock prices. I claim (and it sounds like you might agree??) that these problems with ProTools are, for at least a very significant number of users, fundamental to the point of seriously impacting it's basic usefulness. I can say for sure that I've heard a LOT of folks claim they had or were about to stop using it altogether because of them. Also, the fact that Avid would handle something so basic and so important so dismissively is a symptom, not an independent problem and the problem it is a symptom of is gross, wholesale, mind numbing management incompetence across the board. And that is surely reflected in the stock price. Anyway, my opinion for what it's worth... Thanks for the response!
Old 03-02-2018, 07:03 PM

Default Errors and hyperthreading

Quote:
...the fact that Avid would handle something so basic and so important so dismissively is a symptom......//...... and the problem it is a symptom of is gross, wholesale, mind numbing management incompetence......across the board......

Agree and we Should say “across the board” is more a lack of leadership and vision in management, more than the actual teams.

I am positive that there are wonderful people who care working there....but true vision and change starts from the top.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Man, I sure DID misunderstand your post! I should know better than to read a single entry and comment without reading more background - sorry! However I don't necessarily agree with your comment about the correlation between the various forms of the -917X problem and stock prices. I claim (and it sounds like you might agree??) that these problems with ProTools are, for at least a very significant number of users, fundamental to the point of seriously impacting it's basic usefulness. I can say for sure that I've heard a LOT of folks claim they had or were about to stop using it altogether because of them. Also, the fact that Avid would handle something so basic and so important so dismissively is a symptom, not an independent problem and the problem it is a symptom of is gross, wholesale, mind numbing management incompetence across the board. And that is surely reflected in the stock price. Anyway, my opinion for what it's worth... Thanks for the response!
more lies from the troll guitardom...I only saw this because you quoted him (sorry rus5 when i quoted it only gave your post, not guitar dom's that you yourself quoted which is why i am writing this). He claims i don't use windows.. first LIE.. i have said multiple times here about my windows laptop and that PT is installed on it.

I have a windows 7 laptop, quad 2.3ghz i7 that i use daily as well as my macs.

Once again my attempt to stop this troll from talking about me has failed miserably.

He just wont' leave it alone. I can't WAIT till avid intervene. Oh, it's gonna happen baby.

The plug in instance thing is on every daw in windows 10. it's a fact.

It's so funny that this so called guru that builds daw pc's for a living, has no idea about it.

LOL.

Now to the mods.. i have tried everything to stop this,. but now, let's see what happens, as i am going to unmute him and fight back on every single false post he makes about me. This is on.

as far as the 14 logical core issue, it's not only cubase that's affected. Unfortunately, guitardom does not understand a thing about the actual issue nor the changes with multithreading in windows 10 *at all*.

PS with the plugin count issue, guitar dom is literally flat out lying to the forum. Once again it affects every windows daw unless you use a workaround to open the plugins in a different process.. If the plugins do not dynamically link to the runtime library, there is only a set amount you can add to any DAW before you can't add anymore.

My goodness how does this guy sell PC's?
Old 03-02-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Cubase spikes on some 4 core systems too.. i said it's a crapshoot.

But i believe it is related.. however.. you keep flat out lying about what I say..

I said i am not 100% sure if pro tools uses two mmcss threads per core, and that's what I am trying to find out. You keep asking me for proof yet you don't think it's important YOU provide any to the contrary to prove I am wrong!

The plugin count issue is a FACT across all windows 10 daws.. the mmcss issue is only a problem above 14 logical cores IF the app uses 2 threads per core (so 14 would actually be window 10's spare maximum of 28 per app).

I never ever claimed MMCSS as fact for pro tools.. I said i think it might be related or probably could be. I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE. Why do you think i started the topic about it? You have never answered a single thing about it with evidence. And all you can do is lie about me.

of course i am, a victim, you attacked me in my own topic, refuse to apologise, continue quoting me as you are DESPERATE to have me in your life (stalker, much?) when i have now tried FIVE TIMES to call a stop communication with you and to leave reach other alone.

I do NOT need to provide proof for the mmcss issue because i never claimed it as FACT.. since you are CLAIMING as FACT, that cubase is the ONLY WINDOWS DAW to have the issue, the PROOF IS ON YOU. Where is it?
Old 03-02-2018, 07:47 PM

http://forum.cakewalk.com/VST-Limit-...-m3468760.aspx

took 2 seconds to find, literally.

Every daw is affected. Another search will find the pro tools specific posts about people not being able to load any more plugins on windows after a certain amount, IF THOSE PLUGINS DO NOT USE DYNAMIC LINKING TO C RUNTIME.

I have NO idea how many more times i have to say that last bit till guitardom gets it.

I'll find the pro tools link momentarily, but since i will not let guitar dom have his way, anyone who wants the link can PM me and they can have it.

If he bothers to read the above link anyway, he will understand why it affects all DAWs.'

The great news about the above link is though, that this already 100% disproves guitar dom's false claim that this also only happens on Cubase LOL.

Cakewalk, presonus and Steinberg themselves all recognise it.. just because Avid haven't, poor little Dommy think i make it up. LOL.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
The plug in instance thing is on every daw in windows 10. it's a fact.

It's so funny that this so called guru that builds daw pc's for a living, has no idea about it.

LOL.

Now to the mods.. i have tried everything to stop this,. but now, let's see what happens, as i am going to unmute him and fight back on every single false post he makes about me. This is on.

as far as the 14 logical core issue, it's not only cubase that's affected. Unfortunately, guitardom does not understand a thing about the actual issue nor the changes with multithreading in windows 10 *at all*.

PS with the plugin count issue, guitar dom is literally flat out lying to the forum. Once again it affects every windows daw unless you use a workaround to open the plugins in a different process.. If the plugins do not dynamically link to the runtime library, there is only a set amount you can add to any DAW before you can't add anymore.
Again, I never said anything was "only Cubase" that is or could be affected. You should probably quote where i said that. I have no idea how the mmcs affects other daws as example. I do not use other daws. I can only say that we do not have that issue even up at 24 logical cores in Windows 10. I am (and have been asking) for some sort of proof that this is happening to Pro Tools users on Windows 10 systems with >14 Logical cores. We have lots of 8 core 5960x and 7820x's by example that are above the limit you are stating with no issues. There are users with CPU and spiking problems with about every possible CPU configuration, and again lots of users that are above the limit you are stating, and not having issues. I just want to know where you see that it affect Pro Tools. You keep going back to other daws.

I am telling you that I have worked on Windows 10 systems with 20-24 logical cores and not had these problems in Pro Tools. It's obvious we cant go above the supported CPU per app limit currently in Windows. But I have never worked on a 32+ logical core system to test it out or see what happens. I am not concerned with other daws for the simple fact I do not use other daws, hence I am repeatedly telling you what I have found and see in Pro Tools.

I know there was a fix that JUCE framework developers had to fix awhile back that was related to the problem in the link. So yes I was aware of the problem in your link. You also noted the date of the link and nobody in the link ever stated that they had the problem. The Steinberg link is gone and Presonus stated "several" users which was the same time frame as the link. I have again NEVER seen one post related to the Happening to anyone in Pro Tools. So again, find me a post and I will gladly apologize.

You also need to be careful about mixing up topics in your posts. You can not mix up the 2 issues repeatedly and not stating the details of the problem or that one problem was not the cause of or related to the other. Your posts read as if these problems were related and a result of the same thing (mmcs). Instead of focusing on word amount, I encourage you to focus on clarity so that people can understand.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10

Last edited by guitardom; 03-02-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Closed Thread