Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2001, 10:53 PM

Default $250 for a keyboard?!?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah, I'm one of these keyboard shortcut guys and I love new gear so when I saw the new Digi USB keyboard I was excited at first. Then I saw the price tag of $250 for a damn keyboard with some different color keys and I almost flipped. Talk about out of their mind. Talk about not being in tune with the real world and what someone will pay for that. These guys should buy gold toilet seats for the US government. Amazing...
Old 01-20-2001, 11:14 PM

Default Re: $250 for a keyboard?!?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah, I saw one of those keyboards today at NAMM. I told the DIGI guy that they must be getting all profit from those, and he tried to tell me they were barely making any money from it? I know alittle about manufacturing and economics, and what he tyold me is BS! I SERIOUSLY doubt if they have more that $40 in cost for each keyboard! But, be it as it is, I do have a degree in Econ, so I must say, that if people pay that much for a keyboard. I can't fault them for selling it! You can just be sure that I won't buy one!

NP
Old 01-21-2001, 08:59 AM

Something is worth only as much as someone will pay for it. Makes you wonder if everything in the line is priced like that.

Oh well, a few months down the road and on eBay...
Old 01-21-2001, 01:24 PM

"Something is worth only as much as someone will pay for it."

Throw marketing into the question, and everything is different. Advertising and marketing change the equation. Through advertising, marketers will tell you something is worth more (in the case, much more) than it really is. I still can't over how much Starbucks charges for a simple cup of coffee, and how easily everyone falls for their marketing.
Old 01-23-2001, 09:23 PM

$250 for a keyboard, these days, is crazy. The last time that I paid even close to that much for a keyboard was about 6 years ago for an Apple Extended Keyboard II ADB. And yes, it was worth it.

If I'm going to shell out money for a new keyboard, it's going to be $60 for the new Apple Pro Keyboard. And that's only because Apple biffed big-time with the cheesy keyboard that came with my G3 (half size arrow keys and page up/down keys in entirely the wrong place). I'm actually STILL using my Extended Keyboard II with my G3!
Old 01-23-2001, 10:31 PM

When I read the "news" on this web site about the keyboard, I too got a little excited about it. Then I saw the price and laughed myself off of my chair.

Just think, about $500 more, you can invest in a motormix and not even have to use a clunky keyboard OR a mouse! Now THAT'S incentive!

Gremz
Old 01-23-2001, 11:51 PM

I talked to one of the guys @ NAMM and he quoted me a price of $200 and before I even had a chance to balk - he was explaining how much the custom keys cost to have manufactuered. I took his rapid defensive move to mean they had been getting verbal beatings about the price all weekend. They'll either bring the price down, take a hit on their profit margins and have happy users - or they'll leave the price high - no one will buy it - and they'll wind up having to eat their R & D and mfg. costs and scrap it all together. Doesn't seem like Digi's really into releasing "still-born" products so I would guess they'll drop the price quickly and hope for the best.
310.598.6038 tel 5685 fax
http://www.StephenMarshMastering.com
Old 01-24-2001, 12:59 AM

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about cutting prices, remember, this is the same company that charges $500 for a cd burning program (Masterlist).

That thing sure is colorful though.

haze

www.johnhaze.com
Old 01-24-2001, 03:36 AM

I have an idea!!

Digidesign should go Non-Profit and support all starving musicians for free. Maybe they could get government funding and have the tax payers subsidize all of us.

Just think...government sponsored music.eek!

[This message has been edited by Michael Cottrell (edited January 24, 2001).]
Old 01-24-2001, 08:22 AM

>they'll wind up having to eat their R & D and mfg. costs

Yep, there is alot of R&D in keyboard shortcuts and some color for the keys. I agree with you totally.

I actually believe that they would sell alot of these if it was a reasonable price. I could even swing if it was around $100 or so.

At least I am not alone in feeling like this.