Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2006, 07:05 AM

Default Recommend good brass-woodwind virtual synth?

Hi all,
I am pleased with XPand. And though it seems to run a little funky/latency prone (at least on my robust system that otherwise has no plug-in issues), I do appreciate Digi making it free to PT7 users. Kudos!
Yet, what I was really hoping it would provide are some authentic sounding brass and woodwind sounds. I have a decent string synth program but want to add brass and woodwinds to sessions. There's a decent sounding clarinet and a couple of useable sax sounds in XPand but otherwise, nada.
Can anyone recommend a realistic sounding virtual synth for brass and woodwinds? The more inexpensive the better, as I am a hobby studio.
Any help appreciated,

J.D
Old 02-22-2006, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Recommend good brass-woodwind virtual synth?

Quote:
a realistic sounding virtual synth for brass and woodwinds?
Quote:
The more inexpensive the better
Those two statements, I'm afraid, are in direct conflict.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-22-2006, 07:24 AM

okay, okay Spk (wiseguy): then go ahead and just recommend one that sounds realistic.....
Old 02-22-2006, 07:56 AM

I think you really have to define "inexpensive" in this circumstance, though. Hyper-realistic samples can run a pretty penny, and comparatively, some other things might seem cheap.

For instance, Vienna Woodwind Ensembles($355) and Vienna Epic Horns($315) are actually on the low side price-wise compared to their other selections, and sound very good (to me), as do all of the other products in the Vienna series. So would you call $670 inexpensive? And those are just the samples; you would need a sample player to actually play them, adding to the cost.

EWQL Symphonic Orchestra is really what I would call inexpensive at $200, and you get more than just brass and woodwinds. You'll have to decide for yourself about the realism though. (and hope you like the Native Instruments Kompakt interface)

Those are honestly the only ones I can recommend as they are the only ones I've been personally exposed to. I'm sure there are others, but it might help to know what you consider "inexpensive".

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 02-22-2006, 08:29 AM

Trying to keep things as much in the $500 range as possible but can go several hundred bucks above that if need be. I am pretty unfamiliar with decent sounding brass and woodwind patches/players in general.

(and as always, thanks for the help!)
Old 02-22-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
does that come with the software that actually plays the samples
Yes.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:57 AM

I would like to no one or two more things before I answer...

1) What type of music is your main interest (since I would say East/West Colossus or Yellow Tools Independence, rather then VSL if you aim at soul and Van Morrison rather then film/symphonic stuff)?

2) What platform are you on (since some players work better on one or the other)?

3) How many articulations do you need in every instrument?

* It's easier to find good Woodwind then Brass.
* If you don't need so many articulations a good sampleplayer with a big library included, might be what you seek. (Warning! Kontakt 2 has many problems at the moment, wait for the update before you buy)
* If you only use Tuba of all Brass instruments, Reason staccato would be my choice.
* If you with wouldwinds mean saxophones - Candy would be where I would look.
* If you are wanting everything to sound classic - listen to spkguitar
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 02-22-2006, 11:21 AM

) What type of music is your main interest (since I would say East/West Colossus or Yellow Tools Independence, rather then VSL if you aim at soul and Van Morrison rather then film/symphonic stuff)?

Definitely Van Morrison (more like the Beatles) over the Philharmonic

2) What platform are you on (since some players work better on one or the other)?

Windows XP (home)

3) How many articulations do you need in every instrument?

Tough to answer this one but I'm going to say "not many." Think how a good rock or soul record has flourishes of horns or woodwinds here and there as coloring. Looking primarily as background stuff--not to do blazing solos but here's the rub: A lot of the brass sounds I've heard in virtual instrument programs sound terribly synthetic. With some of this stuff in the background, I'd like people to think it's the geniune instruments, not some cheesy synth.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:04 PM

Just to throw another one into the mix... if you have Reason that is.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 02-23-2006, 01:05 AM

Quote:
...Each Miroslav Refill comes on a DVD and includes samples from the original Miroslav Vitous Symphonic library,...
So, it's yet another symphonic library... For Beatles there are another Refill that would be more "up your alley" and that is the one with the Strawberry-flute - awesome realistic. Back to topic...

Try out and listen to the Colossus jazz-trumpet and webster-saxophones - they are the best that I have myself in that area. Unfortunately you have to use a Kontakt-player, so read up on the NI-forum before you buy or you might be dissapointed.
NI-user forum

I've heard great things about the Independence from Yellow Tools, but haven't got it myself.
Independence
...and the price have dropped.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix