Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 02-27-2014, 05:48 AM

Default Using Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 to Monitor for Digi 002??

I've done a search for this and could not find anything.

I am trying to use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40's D/A to monitor for my Digi 002 console at 96khz through SPDIF.

I use the Focusrite for tracking. I want to use the Digi 002's controls for mixing while monitoring through the Focusrite because the conversion is better.

I was doing this with a Presonus FireStudio and it worked perfectly.

I swapped the units out and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to route the Saffire Mix Control.

-I am using Pro Tools 9.
-The Digi 002 is selected as the playback engine.
-I have SPDIF L/R sent to output 9 and 10 on the I/0 Setup within Pro Tools

Within Saffire Mix Control, it shows levels in the SPIF input channels; however I beieve that these are just digital fragments because they continue to show a level even when the Pro Tools session stops playing.

Yes the Saffire is plugged in via Firewire.

It may be a problem with the playback engines not being set to the same h/w buffer size. Saffire Mix Control does not display the h/w buffer size in #s, it just displays: Short, Medium, Long, Very Long...

If somebody could please figure this out and give me advise, I would really appreciate it.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Using Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 to Monitor for Digi 002??

Ben,

Just trying to get my head around your routing. So are you going SPDIF OUT of your Digi002 to SPDIF IN of the Pro 40?

In the Mix Control above the faders there are 'tabs' Have you changed two of those to SPDIF L&R. (Not in front of my machine so just going by memory) ?

Have you set the clock to SPDIF external

Can you post a screenshot or two?
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 02-27-2014, 04:13 PM
Focusrite

Hi Benprogfuse,

This sounds like you may not have the units synced correctly. They are likely both set to Internal.

Try setting the Pro 40 to Sync to SPDIF, or set the 002 to sync to External if you have a cable returning signal in the opposite direction, Pro 40 > 002. Make sure they are both at the same Sample Rate.

Do you have the Pro 40 connected via SPDIF and Firewire at the same time?

You may want to set it up for Standalone Mode so you can have eight ADAT channels instead of 2: http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/h...tandalone-mode

If you need more help can you please be more specific about your exact computer specs, exactly what connections you have made with what cables and exactly what routing you wish to accomplish?

We have a three part tutorial on MixControl that may help you:
http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/s...creating-mixes
http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/s...utputs?id=1062
http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/s...utputs?id=1065

You can also contact us directly here: http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

Best regards.

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/
Old 02-28-2014, 04:04 PM

-Yes I am going SPDIF OUT of my Digi002 to SPDIF IN of the Pro 40.

-I am avoiding using the ADAT optical because I am operating at 96khz. The Digi 002 cannot do SMUX so it will not Pass 96Khz at 4. Only 48 Khz at 8.

-Both the SPDIF and FireWire are connected at the same time. I do not want to operate the Saffire in standalone. I did not need to do this with my Presonus FireStudio and it worked seamlessly.

I am using: -Macbook Pro with OSX Snow Leopard
-Pro Tools 9
-Saffire Mix Control 3-2.3
-Digi 002
-Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

I've tried several routing combinations and so far none have worked. I will post screenshots.

I've also tried using the Saffire "Dual Unit Support Guide" and setting up the Saffire as unit 2 while operating the Digi 002 as unit 1, but that didn't work.
http://d3se566zfvnmhf.cloudfront.net...aluniteng0.pdf
Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benprogfuse View Post
I've done a search for this and could not find anything.

I am trying to use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40's D/A to monitor for my Digi 002 console at 96khz through SPDIF.

I use the Focusrite for tracking. I want to use the Digi 002's controls for mixing while monitoring through the Focusrite because the conversion is better.

I was doing this with a Presonus FireStudio and it worked perfectly.

I swapped the units out and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to route the Saffire Mix Control.

-I am using Pro Tools 9.
-The Digi 002 is selected as the playback engine.
-I have SPDIF L/R sent to output 9 and 10 on the I/0 Setup within Pro Tools

Within Saffire Mix Control, it shows levels in the SPIF input channels; however I beieve that these are just digital fragments because they continue to show a level even when the Pro Tools session stops playing.

Yes the Saffire is plugged in via Firewire.

It may be a problem with the playback engines not being set to the same h/w buffer size. Saffire Mix Control does not display the h/w buffer size in #s, it just displays: Short, Medium, Long, Very Long...

If somebody could please figure this out and give me advise, I would really appreciate it.
Ok, I'm just re-reading this because I'm trying to get a handle on what you're trying to do. I've read your other responses and I don't think we're on the same page. Screenshots of your Mix Control setup would do wonders.

Am I to understand, that you want to just clock with Spdif, while still trying to use the ADAT outs to the DIGI 002?

No matter what you use as your clock source (ADAT, or SPDIF) it's my understanding that the ADAT outs will ONLY allow for 8 @ 48k, or 4 at 96k. Using your SPDIF as the clock source does not change the above mentioned. That is a limitation of the ADAT SMUX. It's a personal preference to choose whatever SR you want. I've never been one for the drive space used by 96k, go to 48k lock it up through adat and see if that solves your problem.

To me what it sounds like you should be doing is using your DIGI as a 'control surface' and using the Pro40 as your playback engine.

I also may not be fully understanding what you're trying to do. I have my Pro 40 clocked ADAT to a OctoPre MkII and the SPDIF going to/from a Delta 1010lt PC so I can monitor my finalizing/mastering rig through my PRO 40 connected to my MBP. No problems....but it's all at 48k.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
Ok, I'm just re-reading this because I'm trying to get a handle on what you're trying to do. I've read your other responses and I don't think we're on the same page. Screenshots of your Mix Control setup would do wonders.

Am I to understand, that you want to just clock with Spdif, while still trying to use the ADAT outs to the DIGI 002?
Completely not what I'm asking. Disregard the ADAT connections. I am not trying to use those whatsoever.

I am simply trying to use the SPDIF connections to route the Main L/R outputs of the Digi 002 digitally to the SPDIF of the Saffire Pro 40, so that I can monitor through the Saffire Pro 40 using the Saffire's D/A conversion.

Also, Digi 002's do not have the functionality to do SMUX as I mentioned in an earlier post.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:07 PM

I thought that's what you were trying to do, but got confused by your desire to use standalone mode, etc...again the easiest way for me to see what you're doing in the mix control is to post a screen shot (for the third time).

I have a PC connected to my Pro 40 that Im able to monitor from on my Macbook with no problems at all. So something is simply wrong with your routing. It has nothing to do with Pro Tools at all...it's all in the mix control. Set one of the monitor ch's at the top tab to be SPDIF L.R., make sure your clock source is right. Make sure your digi is set to send the main mix out of its spdif ch's.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Thank you for your responses dr_daw.

I have the Mix Control set to Sync Source SPDIF, but the Sync Status is showing "No Lock"

Here is how I have the Digi 002 setup within Pro Tools. This worked correctly with the Presonus FireStudio:

Old 03-04-2014, 11:54 AM

Default Using Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 to Monitor for Digi 002??

Ben,

Did you set the Digi to Spdif as well? I would go that route. Not familiar with that device, but I'm almost positive both units would need to be set up to SPDIF in order to lock. I'll have to check the images at home on my ipad, can't quite see the mix control settings very well on my laptop.

When the Pro 40 is locked then it's set up properly. I know you've probably checked 100times just make sure the Spdif out goes to the IN on the respected unit. In my case, because I'm using an Octopre via ADAT my clock source is ADAT and locked. My PC is connected to the Saffire via SPDIF, the Delta 1010lt card is set to clock on SPDIF. After looking at my system, I would be almost sure that it's the DIGI set to internal, that's giving you grief.

I did notice that there is signal on your SPDIF inputs, is that just noise? IF not, go to the the Monitor Output and change it from 'Mon L', 'Mon R' to SPDIF 1.1 SPDIF 1.2....make sure to turn your speakers down though

Last edited by dr_daw; 03-04-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:06 PM

Switching the Digi 002 between SPIF and Internal within Pro Tools does not make a difference. The Mix Control sync status does not lock on either setting.

Katherine_Focusrite, I do believe that the issue is that the Sync Status will not lock. Can you please review this and let me know how I can make it lock?

Also, unplugging the Saffire from firewire and using in standalone did not work.