Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2011, 05:33 PM

Default region splits cause dropouts in PT9

So I posted this in the Mac-specific forum, but now I'm posting it here, just because it drives me nuts, and I wish someone else would or could chime in about it...ESPECIALLY Avid to let me know if this is somehow just me, or if it's an acknowledged thing, or what.

Basically, whenever you create region splits in a file, there is now an audible pop, or more like a bump, uncannily like a dropout on magnetic tape, at the split point. I actually went through the trouble of re-installing PT8 to make sure I wasn't losing my mind and somehow not noticing this all along...and sure enough, in 8 and before, you could throw splits all over the place and they wouldn't leave so much as the slightest audible trace. But NOW, it's a nasty thing!

Now, I know most folks are probably thinking, "Okay, so there's a pop now when you split a file in the timeline...who ever does that anyway? Or at least who ever does it without then moving one side and making an actual edit or moving one of the two sides or similar?"

And sure, there's a bit of a point there. Personally, I use regions as a form of marker when I'm chopping songs into segments for editing purposes. Previously, I wouldn't have to worry about healing all the contiguous splits when I was done, because it wouldn't be a problem. But now, I have to make sure to go back and heal them, or else they're going to sound all thumpy!

I reported this on the Ideascale site as a bug, not a feature request...and weirdly have gotten nothing but negative votes. Oh well. Maybe I am the only person who's unpleasantly intrigued by this.

So here's an example, used on a snippet of dialogue...first the snippet as is...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5832408/no_splits.mp3

...now, the same snippet with a bunch of region splits thrown in with good ol' Command-E...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5832408/with_splits.mp3

Okay, so there it is. If nothing else, I hope an Avid fellow sees this and notices it...or something! I sure don't want to have to fork over $35 for a support code just to tell them about this!

As you were,
Eric
Old 02-11-2011, 05:54 PM

Default Re: region splits cause dropouts in PT9

Do you have auto crossfade enabled?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-11-2011, 05:57 PM

Holy crap! That was it! Thank you SO MUCH. I was hoping it was some dumb mistake on my end, and I had totally forgotten about that option/preference. All is well, and I can quit yakking about this issue now. Thanks again. You've made my day.

E
Old 02-12-2011, 12:08 AM

That's weird. Why would a cross fade make a difference. If you splice a region without moving anything there is nothing to cross fade anyway. PT should be playing the exact same samples in a seamless stream with or without the splice since the adjacent samples are identical with or without a splice.

I have auto fade always set to 0 and never hear pops or splices on my rig.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:06 AM

Yeah, with auto crossfades set to 0, there are no artifacts. As to why there are with a value set, I don't know.