Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2013, 10:43 PM

Default Vocals cutting out while recording, please help!

Every once in a while when recording vocals, they will completely cut during recording. It doesn't happen all the time. When it does happen, it's like the input signal just cuts off. Sometimes it will come back on once I record enable another track, but other times it won't. I thought it might be that the person was too close to the mic, so i had him stand back, but it happened later on in the session again. I've tried other cables and mics, but I think it's something with the digirack. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Vocals cutting out while recording, please help!

What kind of interface ? Mic? Monitoring setup?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:25 PM

so what hardware are you using?
what computer are you using?
what OS are you using?
what version of Pro Tools are you using?
Basically everything in the Help Us Help You link a the top of the page

And what mic are you using? and how humid is it?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-01-2013, 12:12 AM

Hey, sorry I didn't put this info on my initial post, i was on my phone at the time.. I'm using an iMac with OS X- version 10.6.8- I am using Pro tools LE 8 with a Digi 002 rack. I am using a Sterling Audio "Ocean Way Edition" ST6050 FET Condenser Mic. My monitors are M-Audio BX8's. My studio is setup in an office building, the room is pretty small.. about 12'x12' with a vocal booth in the corner.. As far as humidity, it can get pretty warm in here, because our room does not have its own temperature control. We usually have a fan on with the main door open. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-01-2013, 12:33 AM

do you have a dynamic mic to test with, like a SM57 or 58
I have had vocal mics cut out in high humidity conditions but I don't think this is the case here
maybe the phantom power in the 002 is iffy, have you replaced the power harness?
A dynamic mic would take the phantom power and moisture contamination out of play for testing

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-01-2013, 01:05 AM

The only dynamic mic i have is the gooseneck mic I use as a talkback mic. I have that plugged into input 4. The first time this started happening was about 2 weeks ago. I was recording someone, it got about 20 seconds into his verse and it cut out. I stopped him and said lets try it again. The exact same thing happened at the same spot about 4 times. Then I tried it again, but with the door open so i could see how close he was and what not. He was almost done with his verse and i started to sit back down and boom, it cut off again. In between those times I was testing it myself and it was fine. It was super weird. I had him stand back about 6 inches, which seemed to work and we got through that song. Now it will just happen sporadically. I was planning on getting a preamp and a compressor to go in between the mic and the digi, but if this is a sign that there is something wrong with the rack, then obviously I need to get that replaced first. And no, I have never replaced the power harness. Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 AM

Based on what you had described I think you microphones capsule is contaminated with at least some moisture if not something more
The moisture from the singers breath is temeraly shorting the diaphragm to the back plate. You could tgry sealing the mic in a air tight container with descant packs (or rice in a pinch) for a few days but it is probably best to get the mic cleaned

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-01-2013, 01:02 PM

Ok, I'll try that. Ive been using a metal wind screen. Is there a better way of preventing that in the future? The mic also came with a windscreen that goes over the entire mic, similar to a boom mic, but I haven't really used that.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:58 PM

it's hard to stop water vapor
I don't like the foam socks on microphones, the foam starts to brake down, deposits on the diaphragm, then pits the diaphragm

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-02-2013, 01:21 PM

Ok, I will look into getting it cleaned. I've only had the mic for about 4 or 5 months though, and I've never had this problem with any other mics. So you don't think my problem has anything to do with the digi rack?