Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2014, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Waves Studiorack

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
What the hell is this?????
We paid thousands of $$$ for TDM versions that are now obsolete, Waves just screwed us, they dont want to do AAX DSP but they use these numbers to promote their silly DSP system?

You mean, they do have AAX DSP versions of some plugins i paid for but they dont release them?

I was really pissed off at Waves and promised myself to never buyer another Waves plugin, but this really, i mean really makes me angry at them.

They can go to h#$% with this multi layer workflow killing that i would never approach with a ten foot pole.

Rant over.

Before we start to assume too much, let's think through this. In order to come to the conclusion that AAX-DSP was not worth it, they of course had to try developing it for at least a few plugins in order to test it and be able to come to that conclusion in the first place. Of all their plugins, the SSL would be the first one they'd try, as it is their most popular product, and the one most likely to be used on every channel in mix.

So it's possible that they did the work for that plugin, and maybe a couple of others. Some people might say that since they did the work already, they should at least make those available. But besides the strange marketing that would take ("all plugins are native except for these two!"), there may be more to it than just releasing the plugin. If they release it and make it available, then that means they have to keep supporting it with updates for new Protools versions, and so on. So it may not be as simple as it might seem.

But I agree it's kind of insulting to use it in their marketing.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:31 PM

If I cared I'd post the email on there Facebook page demanding an explanation
but I don't so I won't

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-23-2014, 09:59 PM

I thought the whole point to the WaveShell was that ALL of their plugins are technically not standalone, but rather interchangeable components within the shell, so developing one plug for DSP would make no sense. They would have to make a DSP shell to get any of their plugs to work. Which means they have a testable DSP WaveShell.

None of the waves plugs lives in the AAX or DPM plugins folder. The WaveShell lives there and the authorized plugs live in the Waves applications folder.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
.......and return to the professional world they once dominated..

Hahah their domination has gone the way of the mix systems and PPC's and 19" monitors !!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I actually can't try it because all my stuff is out of WUP right now.

But as Denka mentioned, you do specifically need to get a license for it, even though it's free.
Yes I did all the right stuff...

On the GS version of this thread Waves has acknowledged there is an issue with the StudioRack install and Pro tools...

--------------

WRT the ranting about Waves AAX DSP - they have always said they weren't going there. They developed their own system instead. How they got their comparison numbers is truly any ones guess!!!! Their business strategy at this time is Soundgrid and Native. It is not the worst idea I have seen but how successful it will be technically or in the marketplace is any ones guess today. If it lived up to all its claims and I was - today - choosing between it and HDN - I would give it a serious look. Being all bought in on HDN for 2 years now - a way harder sell for them - yet not impossible. At this point we all need to see Real Working Systems with all the numbers laid out - and prices for packages that make any kind of sense. Like - crossgrade to Soundgrid hardware and get all your Waves plug ins crossgraded for free... LOL - we shall see...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 07-23-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Before we start to assume too much, let's think through this. In order to come to the conclusion that AAX-DSP was not worth it, they of course had to try developing it for at least a few plugins in order to test it and be able to come to that conclusion in the first place. Of all their plugins, the SSL would be the first one they'd try, as it is their most popular product, and the one most likely to be used on every channel in mix.

So it's possible that they did the work for that plugin, and maybe a couple of others. Some people might say that since they did the work already, they should at least make those available. But besides the strange marketing that would take ("all plugins are native except for these two!"), there may be more to it than just releasing the plugin. If they release it and make it available, then that means they have to keep supporting it with updates for new Protools versions, and so on. So it may not be as simple as it might seem.

But I agree it's kind of insulting to use it in their marketing.
Remember the big discussion with one that claimed to be in direct contact with the big names at Waves, he specifically said they didn't try to develop the plugin they just wrapped it up with the sdk without doing any optimization to it and got the result of 1 plugin per chip (so a total of 18 instance) for I don't remember which plug. Now all of a sudden we ge 160 instance of one plugin (now almost 9 instance of plugin per chip) miraculous that they even got there knowing they didn't do any optimizations lol.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-23-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post

On the GS version of this thread Waves has acknowledged there is an issue with the StudioRack install and Pro tools...

--------------

WRT the ranting about Waves AAX DSP - they have always said they weren't going there.
No at the beginning they said it was still in the thought process but couldn't say if yes or no they were going to do it, then it became no after a couple of weeks.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-23-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post

--------------

WRT the ranting about Waves AAX DSP - they have always said they weren't going there. They developed their own system instead. How they got their comparison numbers is truly any ones guess!!!! Their business strategy at this time is Soundgrid and Native. It is not the worst idea I have seen but how successful it will be technically or in the marketplace is any ones guess today. If it lived up to all its claims and I was - today - choosing between it and HDN - I would give it a serious look. Being all bought in on HDN for 2 years now - a way harder sell for them - yet not impossible. At this point we all need to see Real Working Systems with all the numbers laid out - and prices for packages that make any kind of sense. Like - crossgrade to Soundgrid hardware and get all your Waves plug ins crossgraded for free... LOL - we shall see...
I didn't realize until I got the emails today that SoundGrid can be integrated with HDN systems with Avid HD IO hardware, in a sense creating a DSP/Native hybrid. Interesting on the surface. I too have HDN but fear Waves a being Waves we'd have to pay for SoundGrid hardware AND pony up for the SG plugin upgrades from Native which when all is said and done could be as much as an HDX card.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
No at the beginning they said it was still in the thought process but couldn't say if yes or no they were going to do it, then it became no after a couple of weeks.
So they thought about it and then said no ... same difference. Its just a business decision they have made. We may hate it - revile them - whatever - like the gangster movies - "It's just business".... at least that's my opinion.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 AM

Yep unless you are going under the premiss that the HDX cards are an actual platform within the Pro tools eco system (eek I sound like apple now) and that they are not coming through on their commitment and policy (of which people pay for wups) to support all the major platform, of which HDX is a major one.

Wave-T.com