Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)

Old 11-14-2017, 04:29 PM

Default Pro Tools SE Microphone

Can you use a non M-Audio microphone with SE and if so how. I can't get it to recognize one !

And can it recognize two microphones ?
Old 11-14-2017, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools SE Microphone

The best I can remember is that SE only worked with the interfaces that came with Avid's Keystudio, Recording Studio, or Vocal Studio bundles. The Recording Studio bundle came with the Fastrack interface with one mic input. You can try the Fastrack duo for two mic ins, but I wouldn't be confident that it would work.

No, you can't use two USB mics at the same time with SE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-14-2017, 05:22 PM

Pro Tools SE is restricted/licensed to certain interface devices, it will not work with other devices.

And its old and crippled software. Pro Tools First is at least new and crippled software, but you can use it with any interface. Pro Tools First is "Free" but has other serious limitations starring with it is not compatible with sessions from other versions of Pro Tools and can't use plugins not purchased from the Avid online store. Make sure your computer meets all systems requirements if you are using Pro Tools First. There are also many good low cost DAWs out there, Reaper, Studio One, etc. My personal bias would be to get a full copy or Pro Tools.

You also need an interface to connect a Microphone to, avoid buying more USB type microphones they are usually a waste of time, especially if you want to record multiple sources at once.

If you describe what you want do, what you are recording for what etc. how many simultaneous inputs etc. and an idea of your budget people here can make recommendations for interfaced and microphones.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:50 PM

Thank you for your input. That's not what I wanted to hear, but was afraid was the case ! SE has worked great for me up to this point but I need to do more and really can't afford the full blown version right now. I am recording songs for a music CD with each vocal and instrument on different tracks. It would help if I could record two different tracks from two different mics at the same time. Unfortunately I already have 4 of the songs done with SE and four others started so it would be a bummer to have to change software now if the SE files don't work in the new software. I'm up for considering any and all suggestions.
Thanks Again !