Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-22-2010, 01:56 AM

Default *UPDATE* ON i7 STATUS!

Well.... *Deep Sigh* Theres good news and bad news for anyone still following my i7 issues posts.

quick prelude, built i7, worked fantastic for 1 month, opened up old session, 3/4 of my drives crashed from the session, saved 2 of 3, been troubleshooting 3rd with all my pt sessions and an image on it.

SOO the *UPDATE* (everything just sounds soo much more important when its in caps with two *ASTERISKS* (See what i mean) around it)

anyways, update,

Bad News,

My 1tb wd black caviar pt drive crashed, and with an ENDLESS amount of troubleshooting and nick nacks and try this try that. nothing.

problem? well i took the darn thing apart, and watched it spin, what happens is it spins up, but when it comes time to idle, the big wheel just stops, i have no clue what it is, and am not willing to pay a grand to find out,

i dissassembled EVERYTHING, even tried using my other caviar blacks motherboard to see if that would fix it, NADA, i tried changed the circle thing with my new hard drives, Nada,

nothing has worked.

but i did find out some very interesting thing...

Good News,

I saved a ton of money on car insurance by switching to geico ;-)

Lol, no, actually
I will be getting it replaced, not through WD, or Newegg, im out of warranty on the latter, and WD wont return my calls and keeps hanging up on me.

so, with much patience, and diliberation, i have removed the sticker from the new hard drive, and replaced it with the new hard drive. the sticker is undamaged, and in prestine condition, so imma take it over to the store tomorrow and tell the it was doa *bought it last week, i gotta 15 day return on it* so im gonna pick up another new drive.

and if your saying that doing that is wrong, or unlawful, does it really matter? the store will be RMAing it anyways, and its not like they really care about losing 1 weeks worth of the sale of a 99 dollar product.

tisk, tisk, tisk,

but anyways, im off to finish installing programs, still got,

Virtual DJ, Reason 4, Recycle 2.1, Pro tools update *gotta dl from site, oh gawd* and lastly the other half of my plug ins...

i7 920 2.66,
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R,
6 GB Corsair XMS3 Ram,
WD 500GB 7200 rpm HD,
WD 750GB 7200 rpm HD,
MBox 2 Mini, PT LE 8,
Axiom 49 Midi Controller,
Akai MPK 61 Midi Controller,
AKG C-414 Microphone.

Wish List: 2 Months.
Digi 003 BLA Mod,

MBP i5, 2.53 Ghz, 4GB of ram, 320GB internal, 500GB External Firewire, Waves Mercury,

Dverb Test - 156

"How you gon' do an 'Intro' to an 'Outro'?"
-Steezy on "Goodbye" By Spliit
Old 02-22-2010, 04:10 AM

Default Re: *UPDATE* ON i7 STATUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDK_Ent View Post
and if your saying that doing that is wrong, or unlawful, does it really matter? the store will be RMAing it anyways, and its not like they really care about losing 1 weeks worth of the sale of a 99 dollar product.

tisk, tisk, tisk,
The fact that you think someone might not like your dishonesty and think that it is wrong shows that you don't think it's the right thing to do. Morally, ethically... But why would you "tisk" people who think you're being dishonest (which is wrong) when *YOU'RE BEING DISHONEST*?

If I were you, I'd not have posted this "update" and just gone and done it.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:16 AM

it is *UNLAWFUL* and *ILLEGAL*... WD drives have an internal Serial a well as the one on the sticker. And *BY-THE-WAY* WD Black edition drives have a *5-YEAR WARRANTY* and to RMA them you go to there website and fill out the form.. not call. WD is probably the best company I've ever dealt with when it comes to RMA's. It will take about 2 weeks to get it back and it will cost you about 4 Dollars to send it to them. If you want you can have it cross shipped(they charge your card for an HD then credit back once you send yours) which would get you a drive in a couple days.

Do *NOT* bring that drive like that to any store to return it.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:33 AM

Quote:
My 1tb wd black caviar pt drive crashed, and with an ENDLESS amount of troubleshooting and nick nacks and try this try that. nothing.
Did you try Steve Gibson's SpinRite? That app needs to be in every audio engineers digital toolbox along with Acronis TrueImage and a handful of other utilities.
Quote:
and if your saying that doing that is wrong, or unlawful, does it really matter?
A big named franchise store in my neck of the woods had a pretty killer and trusting return policy. Unfortunately, many people abused it so recently they completely got rid of it and stiffened up their return policies which in return, hurt those who are now sincere with their returns etc. There's a reason we have "pain in the ass" features like iLok, Copy Protection Schemes, DRM, UA not releasing native plug-ins, Waves WUP, long winded RMA procedures and policies, TV Networks and Record companies suing 8 year old little girls, Shan not releasing his own personally developed DUC plug-in collection, Abbey Road Studios closing it's doors etc.

Quote:
the store will be RMAing it anyways, and its not like they really care about losing 1 weeks worth of the sale of a 99 dollar product.
I've dealt with returning faulty drives to Western Digital more than once in the past. Being the mechanical devices they are, I know I'll be returning more down the road for repairs especially considering the stress that digital audio recording puts on them. The above sort of thing just makes getting these returned and repaired more difficult as individuals continue to abuse it.

Do the right thing, get a hold of Western Digital and RMA the faulty drive. Over the years your studio will expand, you'll probably hire assistant engineers and maybe even some staff so you might as well start developing good business practices now. To those who might end up admiring your work and tracking you down on internet forums to get some deeper insight into you down the road...well, do the right thing and set a good example.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-22-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGinese View Post
it is *UNLAWFUL* and *ILLEGAL*... WD drives have an internal Serial a well as the one on the sticker. And *BY-THE-WAY* WD Black edition drives have a *5-YEAR WARRANTY* and to RMA them you go to there website and fill out the form.. not call. WD is probably the best company I've ever dealt with when it comes to RMA's. It will take about 2 weeks to get it back and it will cost you about 4 Dollars to send it to them. If you want you can have it cross shipped(they charge your card for an HD then credit back once you send yours) which would get you a drive in a couple days.

Do *NOT* bring that drive like that to any store to return it.
Haha, actually he probably shouldn't return it at all now that the stickers have been tampered with. Might want to be really careful about that. Might also want to take the $99 shot to the wallet for the dishonesty and just go buy a new one.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Did you try Steve Gibson's SpinRite? That app needs to be in every audio engineers digital toolbox along with Acronis TrueImage and a handful of other utilities.
A big named franchise store in my neck of the woods had a pretty killer and trusting return policy. Unfortunately, many people abused it so recently they completely got rid of it and stiffened up their return policies which in return, hurt those who are now sincere with their returns etc. There's a reason we have "pain in the ass" features like iLok, Copy Protection Schemes, DRM, UA not releasing native plug-ins, Waves WUP, long winded RMA procedures and policies, TV Networks and Record companies suing 8 year old little girls, Shan not releasing his own personally developed DUC plug-in collection, Abbey Road Studios closing it's doors etc.

I've dealt with returning faulty drives to Western Digital more than once in the past. Being the mechanical devices they are, I know I'll be returning more down the road for repairs especially considering the stress that digital audio recording puts on them. The above sort of thing just makes getting these returned and repaired more difficult as individuals continue to abuse it.

Do the right thing, get a hold of Western Digital and RMA the faulty drive. Over the years your studio will expand, you'll probably hire assistant engineers and maybe even some staff so you might as well start developing your honest business practices now. To those who might end up admiring your work and tracking you down on internet forums to get some deeper insight into you down the road...well, do the right thing and set a good example.

Shane

ahh... too SHANE....

hmm, 89 bucks? i suppose its woth a shot, i just spent 100 bucks on two different internal to external hard drive enclosures.

i dont quite understand exactly how to use it, but like i said, ill give it a shot... ILL TAKE A BULLET! and i wont cheap shot WD. i'd hate for anyone of you guys on here to look down on me for doing that, or anything similar. i'd prefer to stay on your good side and absorb as much information about pro tools as humanly possible...

i7 920 2.66,
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R,
6 GB Corsair XMS3 Ram,
WD 500GB 7200 rpm HD,
WD 750GB 7200 rpm HD,
MBox 2 Mini, PT LE 8,
AKG C-414 Microphone.

Digi 003 BLA Mod,

MBP i5, 2.53 Ghz, 4GB of ram, 320GB internal, 500GB External Firewire, Waves Mercury,

Dverb Test - 156

Old 02-22-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
ahh... too SHANE....

hmm, 89 bucks? i suppose its woth a shot, i just spent 100 bucks on two different internal to external hard drive enclosures.

i dont quite understand exactly how to use it, but like i said, ill give it a shot... ILL TAKE A BULLET! and i wont cheap shot WD. i'd hate for anyone of you guys on here to look down on me for doing that, or anything similar. i'd prefer to stay on your good side and absorb as much information about pro tools as humanly possible...
Good job on deciding to do the right thing. You might feel like you're taking the bullet, but everyone reading this probably just changed their opinion on you for the better with your new decision.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-22-2010, 08:20 AM

yea, well, as me and my investors say, aong other things,

its better to learn the right way now, with 100 dollars, then learn the hard way later with 100,000 dollars.

*speaking on mistakes as far as investing, in your own equipment*

lol, i got a friend a rifle that lives on a farm type of land down the street. ill see if she wants to have some target practice later...

i7 920 2.66,
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R,
6 GB Corsair XMS3 Ram,
WD 500GB 7200 rpm HD,
WD 750GB 7200 rpm HD,
MBox 2 Mini, PT LE 8,
AKG C-414 Microphone.

Digi 003 BLA Mod,

Dverb Test - 156