Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-03-2019, 02:08 AM
pitchpole pitchpole is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Default Noob Questions

Hi, I'm an ableton user who wants to try pro tools.


Question, are those used versions of Pro Tools on eBay legit? They send an ilok and ilok account credentials it seems. That's how it works? Also I read something somewhere recently that made it sound to me that if I lose the ilok I'm out of luck and I won't be able to use it anymore. Is that true or did I read it wrong?


Also, I do already have an ilok for Antares. Can I have two different iloks plugged in? Or can I consolidate them to a single usb stick?


I am actually going back to college now so I could actually get the EDU version for a similar price, $299 - but the used ones on eBay are cheaper $225-250. And if I do buy the EDU version is that just verified once and then it works forever? I'll be taking a smattering of courses over the next 1 or 2 years to hopefully get a certificate. If PT will stop working after I'm done school then I guess I'd lean towards not buying the EDU version.


Sorry for the noob questions. Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-03-2019, 06:32 AM
amagras amagras is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,344
Default Re: Noob Questions

Why don't you try Pro Tools First, it's free and has quite a few limitations but you will get to know if PT is for you before cashing
__________________
Dell XPS 8700. Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz. RAM: 16GB. Windows 10 Home x64. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645. NI Komplete Audio 6. Pro Tools Software 2019
amagrasmusic.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-03-2019, 08:21 AM
TOM@METRO's Avatar
TOM@METRO TOM@METRO is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 17,017
Default Re: Noob Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchpole View Post
Hi, I'm an ableton user who wants to try pro tools.


Question, are those used versions of Pro Tools on eBay legit? They send an ilok and ilok account credentials it seems. That's how it works? Also I read something somewhere recently that made it sound to me that if I lose the ilok I'm out of luck and I won't be able to use it anymore. Is that true or did I read it wrong?


Also, I do already have an ilok for Antares. Can I have two different iloks plugged in? Or can I consolidate them to a single usb stick?


I am actually going back to college now so I could actually get the EDU version for a similar price, $299 - but the used ones on eBay are cheaper $225-250. And if I do buy the EDU version is that just verified once and then it works forever? I'll be taking a smattering of courses over the next 1 or 2 years to hopefully get a certificate. If PT will stop working after I'm done school then I guess I'd lean towards not buying the EDU version.


Sorry for the noob questions. Thanks for your thoughts.
If you have an "ilok2" or "ilok 3" you can use it for Pro Tools.

You also may download a free trial of the full version here. (upper right hand corner)
__________________
~ tom thomas

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-03-2019, 12:42 PM
pitchpole pitchpole is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Default Re: Noob Questions

OK, so I could merge a used license into my ilok account and then put the license on my physical ilok so I don't have to use up two USB slots right?


And buying used licenses on eBay seems OK right? There are a couple sellers on eBay who seem to have very many ilok licenses to sell. Just seemed odd to me they'd have so many.


I guess I could start with PT First or the free demo but $200-300 is something I can afford ... I have a friend across the country who uses pro tools, so I think I'd probably stick with it so we could more easily collaborate.


Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2019, 03:53 PM
TOM@METRO's Avatar
TOM@METRO TOM@METRO is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 17,017
Default Re: Noob Questions

Buying on Ebay is not risk free. But it usually works out okay.

And yes, as said above, you can use your existing ilok 2 or ilok 3. It will hold hundreds of licences. The original ilok that looks like a green plastic key will not work.
__________________
~ tom thomas

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2019, 04:39 PM
chris_schell20 chris_schell20 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Default Re: Noob Questions

Hello all,
I'm using pro tools first and had a Quick question

How can I move projects?

My local disk is filling and need to move unused projects/sessions to an external drive.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-03-2019, 04:47 PM
unkJE unkJE is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,753
Default Re: Noob Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Buying on Ebay is not risk free. But it usually works out okay. ....
If you use PayPal and don't get what you pay for, you can claim for a Refund.
Can take a month or two to get your money back.
Buyer pays for Return Shipping (if applicable).
__________________
Pro Tools 2019.12 and 12.5.1 HD - Studio One 4 Pro - Win10 64 Pro – Lenovo W520 ThinkPads & 433830U Docks – Mbox 3 Pro - Axiom Pro 49 - AIR Mini 32
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-03-2019, 08:49 PM
albee1952 albee1952 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: nashville
Posts: 35,025
Default Re: Noob Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_schell20 View Post
Hello all,
I'm using pro tools first and had a Quick question

How can I move projects?

My local disk is filling and need to move unused projects/sessions to an external drive.

Thanks
Best to ask this in the PT First section of the DUC. Moderators will probably move this anyway. Regarding "projects", that word is used to refer to cloud-based work. What resides on your internal drive are "sessions". There are 2 ways to off-load to an external drive.
#1-(the easy way): drag the entire session folder for each song onto your external drive(with the option to COPY or MOVE)
#2-(the SAFE way): Open each song>go to FILE>Save Copy In>check the box to Copy Audio Files>save to your external drive
__________________
Gigabyte X79/intel i7 3930K, 32GB RAM, DIGI003 Rack
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...0sound%20works


The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two Noob Questions... Tom Hartman Eleven Rack 4 05-01-2011 01:17 AM
2 noob questions Munkiefan 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 2 01-20-2008 12:42 PM
nOOb HD1 & PT7 questions, please help Andrew Bacon Tips & Tricks 2 10-26-2006 04:32 PM
Noob questions rezzy333 Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 1 07-17-2006 02:22 AM
*Noob* I have a few questions K-OtiK 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 7 07-01-2006 10:19 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com