Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2019, 03:55 AM

Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

In any case, ARA is only an example. When I think (and I already mentioned that elsewhere in this blog) that I do not move 2 markers at a time .... without cutting / pasting! and that I can not associate an automatic solo with the active track (I have to do Shift S until the end of the time), and that I can not make additional keyboard shortcuts (at least extra, it would be nice, without changing existing shortcuts) and therefore no macros! And that, for noon, I have to open windows with drop down menus ....!
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 09-12-2019, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
additional keyboard shortcuts
There are external tools available for what you want. PT already has a million shortcuts and adding more is always going through this filter: is it possible/easy/feasible with Avid Control Surfaces? Like it or not, everything must be able to do with a S6
Old 09-12-2019, 03:59 AM

Seriously, I prefer slow and steady over fast and buggy as hell.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:13 AM

ARA would be worth the ultimate yearly maintenance fee. Just 1 thing a year would be acceptable to me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tention View Post
Seriously, I prefer slow and steady over fast and buggy as hell.
Define slow. Slow as the 2019 release fiasco?

Slow development, can be applied in a model like the previous one, where Avid could take all the time they need, to release the new version with added features, bug fixes etc.
User had the choice to upgrade or not, depending of how attractive the new version is.

When the model is, grab the cash in advance, giving no clue of what to expect next (development wise), under deliver or deliver nothing at all for 6 months (half the annual fee gone) .....then no....they don't have the time luxury to be slow.
Better hire more people, get some voodoo gods in play, work their ass off to make it happen......i don't care...it is their problem to solve.

Cheers!
Old 09-12-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
Yes, that was a fiasco.

Slow development IMO would be one release every quarter. Guaranteed release every three months. Whatever bugfixes and/or new features are ready for release would be included. I could commit to updating my production system every three months, no problem. Especially if I could predict that geek weekend. That would also make me trust the release has been properly beta tested.

Monthly release? Not going to happen as long as Avid uses volunteer beta team. That is just impossible. And would not trust that the quality is on par.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
There are external tools available for what you want. PT already has a million shortcuts and adding more is always going through this filter: is it possible/easy/feasible with Avid Control Surfaces? Like it or not, everything must be able to do with a S6

Personally, I prefer the keyboard and I would like this possibility. Cheaper than an S6 ...

I had controllers of all kinds, including the Artist series, and I used PT Control. This compensates for the lack of direct possibilities in PT, but with Cubase, for example, I do not need a controller. All that an S6 does (except the studio decoration) is possible by the keyboard. Only addition: a quality expression pedal for automation, then a Komplete keyboard. Everything is here.

Only regret in memory of PT: the extraordinary function of gain clip. I still have trouble adjusting to it without it, because Cubase, like Studio One, does not show the direct effect of the gain curves on the shape of the waves. Samplitude, yes. And the management of clips overlays. PT is unbeatable on this point.

• Etc.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Slow development IMO would be one release every quarter. Guaranteed release every three months. Whatever bugfixes and/or new features are ready for release would be included. I could commit to updating my production system every three months, no problem. Especially if I could predict that geek weekend. That would also make me trust the release has been properly beta tested.
Agreed! This sounds like a plan.
You know something.....they could skip a quarter too, if a feature is big enough that needs time to implement/test or a bug persists and risks total stability of the software at release. No one is against that. Unfortunately this isn't the case so far and they have to address it somehow.

Quote:
Monthly release? Not going to happen as long as Avid uses volunteer beta team. That is just impossible. And would not trust that the quality is on par.
Again agreed, it would make no sense at that rate. Not even Apple can do that with Logic.

There must be a middle ground, your proposal sounds feasible to me, makes sense and will make things definitely better....

Cheers!
Old 09-12-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Slow development, can be applied in a model like the previous one, where Avid could take all the time they need, to release the new version with added features, bug fixes etc.
User had the choice to upgrade or not, depending of how attractive the new version is.

When the model is, grab the cash in advance, giving no clue of what to expect next (development wise), under deliver or deliver nothing at all for 6 months (half the annual fee gone) .....then no....they don't have the time luxury to be slow.
Better hire more people, get some voodoo gods in play, work their ass off to make it happen......i don't care...it is their problem to solve.

Cheers!

Very fair, I think so too.

• Etc.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
But when they don't solve it (and they don't), it becomes your problem.