How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 AM

Default Priority Ram or HD?

Hi,

I´m about to buy me a Macbook Pro 2,6GHz with SSD. Should I go for 16GB 256GB SSD or 8GB 512GB SSD? I know I could take the highest of both but feel that the cost would hit me to much .

Already got a HDX-system that works next to good but I need a transportable system to.

The Best /M
Old 12-03-2012, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Priority Ram or HD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa produktion View Post
Hi,

I´m about to buy me a Macbook Pro 2,6GHz with SSD. Should I go for 16GB 256GB SSD or 8GB 512GB SSD? I know I could take the highest of both but feel that the cost would hit me to much .

Already got a HDX-system that works next to good but I need a transportable system to.

The Best /M
How should we know? We have no idea what you are doing with the system, how many other drives you are using, what VIs (and which sample libraries), external memory servers, what interfaces (USB or FW or Thunderbolt...?) you want to use with it etc. etc.

If you are buying a Retina MBP, max out everything, especially RAM because you can't change it later. One of the reasons I'd avoid a Retina MBP -- and go for the classic style 15" MBP and put two large SSDs inside it (one replacing the optical drive), the other reason I woudl go for that MBP is the built in no-adapter-needed Firewire 800 which is nice for my needs, but it only has a single Thunderbolt port while the 15" Retina has two.

Darryl
Old 12-03-2012, 01:30 AM

It is still not recommended to record to system drive (HDD or SSD, no difference) so if you can fit all your programs and samples in the smaller drive I'd take more memory. 'cause you will still need external hard drive.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa produktion View Post
Hi,

The Best /M
Hi,

My system drive uses more than 256 i would say that is too small.

and i have a seperate audio drive, separate samples drive and seperate backup drive in the mac.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.