Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 03-07-2020, 03:44 AM

Default Folder Tracks?

Is it just me or are there other people fairly un-excited about the upcoming Folder tracks?
I mean they don't actually add any functionality, apart from cosmetically and for me at least I can see they will potentially break a lot of programming of shortcuts I've done in Keyboard Maestro and Soundflow, which rely on the gui being as it is.
Perhaps when they arrive I'll be converted, but there are many other developments I would have found more useful that potentially actually do things in the audio domain.
I watched the Andrew Scheps video and he seemed excited. But basically its some tracks running through an Aux, that you can make smaller.
It'd be interesting to hear what others think.

I've probably opened a can of worms here, I'll take cover.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Folder Tracks?

I have an old license and I won't get folder tracks in PT, so take these comments accordingly. But I do use Reaper and its folder tracks a lot, and I can tell you that for me, it is a game changer. It's a really big deal if you use a lot of tracks. The ability to organize things in a logical manner and keep everything onscreen makes almost everything faster and easier. It's one of those small changes that seems insignificant on the surface, until you start to work with it. Then you wonder how you ever did without it. Users will like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Is it just me or are there other people fairly un-excited about the upcoming Folder tracks?
I mean they don't actually add any functionality, apart from cosmetically and for me at least I can see they will potentially break a lot of programming of shortcuts I've done in Keyboard Maestro and Soundflow, which rely on the gui being as it is.
Perhaps when they arrive I'll be converted, but there are many other developments I would have found more useful that potentially actually do things in the audio domain.
I watched the Andrew Scheps video and he seemed excited. But basically its some tracks running through an Aux, that you can make smaller.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:26 AM

I will probably use them here and there, and I am sure they will be great for large track counts and people working on laptops. However, Ive already got a pretty deep workflow with VCA's and surfaces that will be hard to give up.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:

It was the most voted for feature in the survey so people are definitely excited. Maybe they just aren't posting here. For me they will be a game changer.

If they don't come on vanilla as some predict, they won't be a game changer for me LOL (but personally I think that's the biggest BS i ever read as they will be fundamental core functionality.. i think even first may get them).
Old 03-07-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
It was the most voted for feature in the survey so people are definitely excited. For me they will be a game changer.
Agree with Passion

Missed this soo much after working in Live10suite and other DAW’s.

Now we are waiting for ARA2 and then we can start using PT Ultimate much more.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-07-2020, 10:43 AM

ARA would be great but for now I'm just waiting for those Folder Tracks
Old 03-07-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:

I'm very excited about it. But getting excited, and then waiting, and waiting, and waiting gets wearying, so I don't express the excitement often.

I have an orchestral writing template with upwards of a 100+ MIDI Tracks, plus Instrument Tracks, Audio Tracks, Auxes, etc. I need this tracks available, because I never know what a job will need, and it's amazingly time-consuming to have to instantiate and set up everything each time I decide I want to use an instrument, or section, especially since my turnaround to deadline times tend to be very fast.

So, to not have to look at those hundreds of empty tracks, and scroll and scroll to see and edit the ones that have actual data on them, to be able to largely have 1 screenful of Folder Tracks to look at, and then be able to expand the one I need to work inside of at the moment.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
However, Ive already got a pretty deep workflow with VCA's and surfaces that will be hard to give up.
I kind of feel the same as Lynn on this.
I have my large templates that I'm happy with and I already have shortcuts and ways to zoom around the tracks quickly and spill them out.
Its interesting to see what others think, hopefully I'll be converted to folder tracks and inspired when they appear.
ARA would be great for me in Post too using RX and I'd love to see an expansion of clip fx to include third party plugins.
These are things I could actually use daily.
I just feel I don't 'need' folder tracks that much.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:38 PM

In the meantime we are still waiting for 384 voices on hdx system. A promise avid did a year ago.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
In the meantime we are still waiting for 384 voices on hdx system. A promise avid did a year ago.
Don't know if "promise" is a correct word, but they said it was planned for 2019.3 which never happened. Native voice packs were released in 2019.5 so yes you could say HDX needs some love soon. Though I believe there are more people waiting for full Catalina support in next 2020.x release. Great if it has HDX firmware update but it has been so long already I am not holding my breath.