Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 01-29-2021, 12:52 PM

Default Optimal OS X version for PT 11 HD

Hi,

Apologies if this has been addressed to death elsewhere. I am about to go from PT 10 HD2 Accel running nice and stable on OS X 10.9 Mavericks on a 2009 Mac Pro, to a new 2009 Mac Pro I am going to setup with an HDX card running PT 11 HD. I know 11 HD is super old now, but I think it will feel like a big leap forward for me going from 10 HD. I'm going to assess for a while, and then debate about taking the plunge to a newer version of (unbelievably expensive) PT. What a racket Avid is running now!

I'm just wondering what is the latest, most recent version of OS X I can run with PT 11 HD and have it be stable and workable? There are plugins I am excited to update, but I know that PT 11 will probably keep me stuck on an older OS, but just curious how recent I can get. Sierra? High Sierra maybe? I also run a UAD Octo PCIe card.

I'm also assuming it will make sense for me to upgrade the firmware of the Mac Pro from 4,1 to 5,1. Anything I need to be aware of or worry about in doing that?

Thanks for the tips!
Old 01-29-2021, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Optimal OS X version for PT 11 HD

I believe Yosemite, though I can run 11.31 in Sierra with the import file bug, drag and drop works fine as does AAF. No other issues.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:16 PM

Good to know, thanks! Yeah, I was reading elsewhere about the file import bug. But if that's the only issue, and there's a workaround, that sounds pretty cool. Thanks...!
Old 01-29-2021, 02:03 PM

Compatibility info here.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:14 PM

Thanks. I was wondering more about real world compatibility. For example, I've been running 10 HD flawlessly, rock solid, on Mavericks 10.9.5 for years now. And Mavericks is not technically supported for 10...
Old 01-30-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
Thanks. I was wondering more about real world compatibility. For example, I've been running 10 HD flawlessly, rock solid, on Mavericks 10.9.5 for years now. And Mavericks is not technically supported for 10...
Yosemite may be good but what would you gain? El Crap you should forget altogether, but if you want to go for Sierra you need PT 12.6 and DigiLink i/o license
Old 01-30-2021, 08:32 AM

My main concern is to get to a recent enough OS so I can do some of the plugin upgrades I'd been hoping to. I will probably end up installing 11 on two different boot drives, maybe Mavericks and Sierra, and see how it goes. Someone replied above saying they are running 11 fine on Sierra, except for a file import bug, which has a workaround. Figure it's worth trying...

Wanting to see how long I can put off taking out a 2nd mortgage on the house to get a current Perpetual license. Or the indentured servitude of the ridiculous $80/month rental fee. Or, heaven forbid, both!
Old 01-30-2021, 08:42 AM

Nobody knows how long resellers even have those "reinstatements" for sale, Avid already stopped selling
Old 01-30-2021, 09:08 AM

What do you mean "reinstatements"? Avid has stopped selling what? I'm actually only now trying to get a handle on the new license model. Are they about to change it? I'm still stuck in the old "buy it, you own it", or you "pay to upgrade it" model, going back to my MIX system PT 5.1 days. I'm trying to figure out this new modern world. From all I can tell so far, it seems crazy expensive...
Old 01-30-2021, 09:35 AM

They changed it long ago, there are no "upgrades" anymore.

You need to be on active Support and Update Plan to get updates. While your plan is active you can "renew" it cheaper, but if your plan has lapsed it needs to be "reinstated" which costs more and you can only buy from Avid Resellers if you are lucky. Avid stopped selling reinstatements long ago.