Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2019, 06:28 AM

Default Import Session Data - how to change the reel?

Hi colleagues,
what is the easiest workaround to import substitute audio files into a mix?
I‘m getting live shows with about 110 tracks each. I‘ve already mixed a show in one session and want to import the audio files from a recent show into my mix. It’s tedious work for me the way I do it now, track by track, by track...
Isn’t there anything like „changing the reels“ in the old days? So you put new audio on all tracks in one go?

Best

Mark
Old 07-03-2019, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Import Session Data - how to change the reel?

If your track naming is reasonably consistent then it's quite easy; "Import Session Data", "Match Tracks", select the parameters you want to import (in this case only clips, perhaps alternate playlists, clip gain), check for "link to existing audio" assuming that's what you want, and go.

Your sig says PT12 - IIRC, the import parameter matrix checkboxes and presets didn't get added until sometime in PT2018 (and was one of the many excellent additions), so you'll have to go through the parameter list as a submenu of check-offs, which can be slightly painful, but once it's done it won't change until the next reboot. Regardless, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes for each "reel change". I probably do this 4 or 5 times a day...

Is there some reason this isn't working for you?

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 07-03-2019, 09:47 AM

Rich is right. Match tracks is the way to go. Save your mix session as a template. Close. Import the audio files into a new session as tracks, save and close. Open the mix template, import the tracks from your newly created session and "match tracks" on the import dialog. You might have to manually match if the naming from your template isn't the same.

Like Rich said, don't import all session data. Just take clips (main playlist) and clip gain.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:17 PM

Thanks for your tips, they will help me a lot. My main problem is I don’t get Pro Tools sessions but Reaper projects. If I understand you right I need to create a session with the new show audio first and then import those session data via „Match Tracks“ into my mix template. If I define to import main playlists only the effect will be like changing the reel in an analogue setup, right? I‘ve never used „Match Tracks“ so far but am familiar with the rest of the Import Session Data window. I hope I‘m on track so far.
Does my media management concept make sense? It’s the following: Each show is about 150 GB and I don’t want to copy those files physically while saving the new mix session from the template. So I go with „Link to Source Media“. I will have six to eight shows with the same 22 songs and will need to choose which version of each song will be mixed. After this decision my idea is to create separate sessions for each song including cut down media to be able to mix the songs on separate PT rigs even on my mobile system with limited storage. Another advantage: No song will have 100+ tracks as there are alternate mics for some musicians and singers. Am I missing something?

Best

Mark