Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2017, 01:58 PM

Default iLok Question

I've recently set up a small home studio to do some editing and mixing. I spent the cash to buy a 2nd copy of PTHD, and purposely, set up a new Avid ID, in anticipation of selling everything in the studio in a few years. Even after I would sell everything, I'd still want a valid copy of PT to use at home.

I could have just taken the iLok with me from home to office, and back again, but I'm terrified of leaving the iLok in the wrong place. Home and studio are about an hour away, so not having it were I need it would be very problematic.

While I'm ok with most of the stock PT plug-ins, there is one plugin that would be convenient to have in both places, but its very pricy.. Too pricy to buy a 2nd copy that I'd only use occasionally. One idea I had was to buy a 2nd iLok, and register it to the iLok account at the studio, and bring it home.

Then, when I need to use this plugin, VNC into the computer at the studio(which stay on 24/7), "surrender" the authorization for this plugin on the iLok at the office, and then authorize the plugin to the iLok at home. This way, as long as both my house and the office were connected to the internet, I could move this one iLok authorization to where I needed to use it, regardless of if I were at home or at work.

Not sure if iLok allows this process, or has any restrictions.. but thought I'd ask here first.