How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 04-14-2020, 10:34 AM

Default Re: when will come Catalina Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
i would agree .. give them One Year .. Lower Expectations ... Namaste !!!!
Are you using Logic Pro X with HDX outputs? I can't seem to get them to work with Avid Audio Server.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 + Catalina

The new Mac Pro is not a cheese grater. It’s a colander. Mac and cheese

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2020, 10:41 PM

Posted some of this in response to another thread but copying it here in case anyone has some insight regarding my specific issues below. Thanks!

After weeks (months? years?) of force-quitting my way through the day in desperation I sprang for the new cheese grater (colander) Mac Pro 7,1. Luckily it shipped with 10.15.2 so I could use an updater to get to 10.15.3. Took a few days to re-install everything. I was careful to only install Catalina-approved software.

The new security procedures with Catalina are exhausting. SO many more clicks-per-task to approve things EVERY step of the way. It'll make you loathe those individual plug-in installers. (I'm talking to you Klevgrand. I love you, but... ouch.)

I noticed that for what I assume to be security / permissions-related reasons plugin presets are not always showing up or being saved in spite of giving PT the broadest possible permission in the new OS security settings. Maybe I missed something but I think it has something to do with installers that point to the user library. FabFilter had directions for manually installing presets (in addition to a batch installer... cough Klevgrand....) so there's hope. Still, I can't use features like "set as user default" on plugins like Click for example. No one else seems to have this issue so I'm at a loss for fixing it. Freestyling. Trial and error... Feels great to mess around with a fresh install like this. (Let's be honest I can barely turn on a computer.)

For Logic and everything else, this thing is snappy to say the least. BUT, the good old vintage PT code still crashes and freezes it up even with all the latest Catalina-approved plugins, 224GB of RAM, 16-core processors, and two internal PCIe OWC SSD's running at ridiculous read/write speeds for VI's and sessions. (Like I said, desperation was involved... and I don't want to update for another 7 years.)

I'm doing music production so it's typically a VI / aux group masters / inserts / master bus CPU bottleneck issue for me. Particularly noticing that AutoTune, MagicDeathEye (mono and stereo) and iZotope Ozone9 have been CPU hogs. I'm very sad to report that it doesn't take long before a mix session spikes and you have to reach for the buffer.... or Force Quit AGAIN.

It's also very annoying that you cannot import AAC files anymore. I use another app to convert them to WAV's and then drag them in.

I'm also having this weird problem sending audio files (talking mp3's, AAC's - the small stuff) via Messages that I'm guessing is Mac OS related. NO PROBLEM WITH THE CAT GIF's but heaven forbid I send an mp3. LOL I'm accustomed to sending out reference mixes over Messages but now I have to email everything. Remember email? Seriously though - does anyone have any experience fixing that?
Old 05-21-2020, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loud neighbor View Post
Posted some of this in response to another thread but copying it here in case anyone has some insight regarding my specific issues below. Thanks!

After weeks (months? years?) of force-quitting my way through the day in desperation I sprang for the new cheese grater (colander) Mac Pro 7,1. Luckily it shipped with 10.15.2 so I could use an updater to get to 10.15.3. Took a few days to re-install everything. I was careful to only install Catalina-approved software.

The new security procedures with Catalina are exhausting. SO many more clicks-per-task to approve things EVERY step of the way. It'll make you loathe those individual plug-in installers. (I'm talking to you Klevgrand. I love you, but... ouch.)

I noticed that for what I assume to be security / permissions-related reasons plugin presets are not always showing up or being saved in spite of giving PT the broadest possible permission in the new OS security settings. Maybe I missed something but I think it has something to do with installers that point to the user library. FabFilter had directions for manually installing presets (in addition to a batch installer... cough Klevgrand....) so there's hope. Still, I can't use features like "set as user default" on plugins like Click for example. No one else seems to have this issue so I'm at a loss for fixing it. Freestyling. Trial and error... Feels great to mess around with a fresh install like this. (Let's be honest I can barely turn on a computer.)

For Logic and everything else, this thing is snappy to say the least. BUT, the good old vintage PT code still crashes and freezes it up even with all the latest Catalina-approved plugins, 224GB of RAM, 16-core processors, and two internal PCIe OWC SSD's running at ridiculous read/write speeds for VI's and sessions. (Like I said, desperation was involved... and I don't want to update for another 7 years.)

I'm doing music production so it's typically a VI / aux group masters / inserts / master bus CPU bottleneck issue for me. Particularly noticing that AutoTune, MagicDeathEye (mono and stereo) and iZotope Ozone9 have been CPU hogs. I'm very sad to report that it doesn't take long before a mix session spikes and you have to reach for the buffer.... or Force Quit AGAIN.

It's also very annoying that you cannot import AAC files anymore. I use another app to convert them to WAV's and then drag them in.

I'm also having this weird problem sending audio files (talking mp3's, AAC's - the small stuff) via Messages that I'm guessing is Mac OS related. NO PROBLEM WITH THE CAT GIF's but heaven forbid I send an mp3. LOL I'm accustomed to sending out reference mixes over Messages but now I have to email everything. Remember email? Seriously though - does anyone have any experience fixing that?
You do know that PT 2019.x is NOT approved for Catalina right? 2020.3 is what you need.

QAPLA!
Old 05-21-2020, 04:22 AM

2019.12 is good for Catalina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2020, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
2019.12 is good for Catalina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barely

QAPLA!
Old 05-21-2020, 04:33 AM

Of course 2020.3 is much better, but still 2019.12 was the first one that actually ran on Catalina. Expecting another release "soon"
Old 05-21-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You do know that PT 2019.x is NOT approved for Catalina right? 2020.3 is what you need.
So sorry - yes, forgot this was a 2019 thread. In fact I did install 2020.3. Thanks. And apologies for messing up this glorious thread.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:06 PM

But since I'm so rudely hijacking - just a quick update on the iMessage situation in Catalina. I found one other lonely soul on an Apple Support thread in a similar sad state but alas no posted remedy. Called Apple Support today. They suggested to limit "sending and receiving" to your phone number and one email address (I've used an additional alias forever without issue) which appeared to work, until it didn't.

Just now I realized if the file is FIRST on my desktop, I can drag/drop/send it. If it's a drag/drop from a location on a work drive using the Finder, no luck sending.

So, again, seems like another permission issue with Catalina. Perhaps Alcatraz would have been a better name? El Catraz?

As you were.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:44 PM

Any hints on when/if Bounce To Quicktime will make a comeback? That's 25% of my workload these days, with MOVs and MP4s coming in.

Messing around with OS 10.15.5 and PT 2020.5.0 on a Trashcan and still no love.