Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2004, 08:35 AM

Default Is it my imagination...

...or is it possible that a "live" broadband internet connection can cause a kernel panic during a PT session?

I have gone back and forth with local PT experts trying to get my setup to stabilize (G4 867, 640 ram, dual HD -7200's, PTLE6.4cs6). I get kernel panics at random points making it difficult to trust PT for even a single, mono audio track.

I have this gut feeling that the broadband connection is being polled by the cpu occassionally possibly freaking out PT? Sounds weird, I know. I did turn off automatic software update. But I'm at the point of giving up on PT.

Lastnight was my longest, most successful session (One imported stereo track, 4 mono vocal tracks - just over 1:00 minute long). I save regularly out of pure paranoia, but alas, it crashed moments after I forgot to mute the monitors when I record enabled a new vox track (a lovely blast of feedback - ouch).

Anyway, I'm experimenting now with the cat5 disconnected to see how long I can go without a kernel panic.

Anyone else think this is possible?

peace
Old 08-08-2004, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Is it my imagination...

It's entirely *possible*, but not likely -

In all likelihood, it is probably something else relating ot the OS.

However, a frayed or messed up cat5 cable will cause errors
behind the scene on your ethernet interfaces on your machine.

If these errors get to large, you could crash.

What kind of a router do you use?
Old 08-08-2004, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Is it my imagination...

I'm using a linksys 4 port router with two machines connected (the Mac and an XP box). My cable was recently replaced, it looks to be in excellent shape.

I recently wiped the entire system drive and reloaded Panther (with no classic support since I don't use it). I've heard that kernel panics can be related to hardware incompatibilities such as firewire devices, USB connections, thrid party RAM, etc. I bought my RAM from crucial. I have disconnected all firewire and USB cables (left empty mostly until I connect a video or digital camera). This is a bone stock hardware setup with the exception of the RAM and the additional HD.

I guess you could say I'm stabbing here, but with so many variables, it's difficult to say. My main reason for this guess about the kernel panics is because I experienced a kernel panic in the middle of a PT session within munites of an automatic software update (I've turned that off since then). I started to think that there may be a connection...

Anyway, I'm going to do another session and hit the box a lot harder to see what happens.

Kenny