Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2008, 10:22 PM

Default (-6101) CPU Overload Error

Hi,

I'm running a MacBook Pro, 2ghz Intel Core Duo, with 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, Leopard (10.5.3), Pro Tools 7.4.2 LE, Mbox 2, and I've become incredibly frustrated with the program. For the last several months (even before upgrading to 7.4 or Leopard) I've been getting a (-6101) CPU Overload Error when recording, playing audio back, or bouncing to disk. This happens with as few as 5 tracks with less than one plug-in a track (usually compression or EQ, but not on every track). The error recommends increasing the buffer size, but no matter how high, nor how much CPU I dedicate to Pro Tools I still get the error. I've tried a clean install of 7.4.2, but again I was having this issue with 7.3 as well and I'm plum out of ideas.

I'm a little baffled because with my settings I believe I should be able to run Pro Tools, with MORE than 5 tracks and more than one plug-in per track smoothly, yet I can't. I don't have internet enabled, I'm not running any other programs, and the plug-ins I use are updated and not generally resource hogs. I have friends on slower machines who run the program problem free.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to fix this? I can't really record a project at this point and I'm confident that there must be some way to get this thing running like clockwork.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:07 PM

Default Re: (-6101) CPU Overload Error

are you using an external hard drive or recoding to the system drive?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:17 AM

1. Airport/Bluetooth and Energy Saver disabled?
2. Different USB port/cable?

Macbook Pro
The 15" MacBook Pro models have 1 USB port on the left side, and one USB port on the right side.
The 17" MacBook Pro models have 2 USB ports on the left side, and one USB port on the right side.
Due to internal USB architecture issues on the MacBook Pro, use of Digidesign, M-Audio, or third-party USB audio devices is supported on the left-hand USB ports only (the port or ports next to the power adapter cable).
*Use of such devices on the right-hand USB port is not advised because it may cause audio interrupts and/or dropped samples.
However, the use of an iLok on the right-hand port has been qualified and is fully supported.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. To answer your questions:

1. Airport and Bluetooth are disabled, not sure if Energy Saver is, I can try that.
2. I only have the USB cable that the unit came with. It's plugged into the left side of my MackBook Pro, the right side won't even power the Mbox (in general the right side really doesn't do much of anything outside of charging my iPod, kind of annoying!).
3. I'm recording to the MacBook Pro's HD, the same HD that Pro Tools is installed on. I have an external MyBook and an external Maxtor drive, both connected via firewire to my machine, but Pro Tools says that these drives aren't compatible for recording.

I'll try to disable energy saver, any other ideas though?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Avid

Quote:

3. I'm recording to the MacBook Pro's HD, the same HD that Pro Tools is installed on. I have an external MyBook and an external Maxtor drive, both connected via firewire to my machine, but Pro Tools says that these drives aren't compatible for recording.

Recording to the internal drive is likely the problem.

What does the message say, exactly, when you try to use the FW drives for recording? Did you make sure to set them as Record volumes in the Workspace window in Pro Tools?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 AM

I'll have to come back to this later this evening as I don't have my setup in front of me, but playing from memory the error message said that neither externals were a valid drive for recording. I was unable to set them to record volumes in Pro Tools.

When I get home I'll try again and report back with the detailed error message.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:09 PM

if you connect them via Firewire they should still work, It's just ideal to have a drive with an Oxford 911 drive. The drive most often mentioned on this forum is the OWC mercury drive with Oxford 911. They are just over $100 and worth every penny. My guess is that you tried to record to those other externals while connected to USB. That is a no no. Firewire only.

Digi, please put a huge disclaimer the first time Pro Tools is opened after install saying, "YOU MUST USE AN EXTERNAL FIREWIRE HARD DRIVE!!! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RECORD TO YOUR SYSTEM DRIVE!" I feel like that would alleviate 20% of all posts on this site.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:58 PM

Actually no, I tried to record to the drives via firewire (I don't have USB cables for them), I know better than that . However, my Mbox 2 itself is the one with the USB, not the Pro with the firewire, not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:04 PM

I have heard of people on here using My Book drives, some successfully some not. These are what I use:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...g/ME2FW7080GB/
Old 07-02-2008, 01:28 PM

I am running LE 7.1.3 on a similar macbookpro, but with 2 GB RAM and M Box 2 Pro connected via firewire 400. My exe HD is attached to the firewire 800 port. I too am getting the "CPU overload/ increase H/W buffer size" message every time I try to record or playback, and I am not dealing with USB at all. I've tried adjusting the buffer size up and down, but the message just oscillates between telling me to increase the buffer size and telling me to decrease the buffer size. Help, I want to record!