Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2004, 09:22 PM

Default How to hear keyboard voices/sounds?

Can someone assist please?

I am trying to record into a Pro Tools track directly from my Yamaha PSR-350. I have a MIdisport interface and my Yamaha keyboard is connected to MIDI port 8 and the only other port being used on the interface is port 1 which is connected to my Digi002 equipment . I have had no problems using my keyboard with Reasons 2.5 However although I have created a MIDI track in PT , when I record enable the midi track and play my Yamaha, I can see that the signal is being received into the P track but I am not able to hear it through my headphones.. Furthermore I can see that midi notes are being recorded into PT but again when I play back the track there is no audio thru my headphones. I am certain there must something simple i am not doing but I can't figure out what it is. I have ensured that my Yamaha device has been enabled/selected in PT and I have tried variours track input/output selections.

I am simply trying to record into PT the exact voice selected and played on my Yamaha PSR-350 keyboard. I would like to hear while recording and of cause hear the playback.

Can someone assist please?
Old 05-10-2004, 09:43 PM

Default Re: How to hear keyboard voices/sounds?

No.1 question in here hands down. Why doesn't somebody pin it up at the top? First point, use Search the DUC feature, you'll get faster and more comprehensive info. Second, PT midi data only triggers the keyboard when to play. You need to monitor it via the analog ouputs on the keyboard

B.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:38 AM

I have read thru chapter 13 of the Pro Tools reference guide but I am still not getting any audio. I have by now made so many changes that I'll probably have to start all over again.

Again, all I'm trying to do is record voices from my Yamaha keyboard into a PT track and at the same time I would like to be able to hear what is being recorded while recording. Please can some one help?
Old 05-11-2004, 12:19 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

You do have a corresponding audio track for that MIDI track, right? And its outputs are being sent to the right place (typically Analog 1-2). And you have the right inputs chosen on said audio track for the audio coming in from the Yamaha?
Gotta' ask...
Old 05-12-2004, 10:15 AM

i am experiencing a similar problem.
my setup:
G4 powerbook MacOS X
Mbox (PT LE 6.4)
Oxygen8 keyboard (connected via USB)

since there are no audio outputs on my keyboard, how do i monitor MIDI? again, there the sound is registering on the screen.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:55 AM

On a MIDI channnel it is not sound that it being represented on the screen, it is the midi information. The meter just tells you how hard you hit the key and how long you held it for. You need to set up an audio channel select the input channel as whatever your keyboard is and the output to whatever your monitors are hooked up to(like he said typically 1 and 2).

Old 05-13-2004, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Again, all I'm trying to do is record voices from my Yamaha keyboard into a PT track and at the same time I would like to be able to hear what is being recorded while recording.
if that's all you're trying to do, it doesn't sound like you need a midi track. just send the audio output(s) of your yamaha into your digi-gear, select the appropriate input for the track you're recording, and be sure the output for that track is set to your mains (usually analog 1-2). or am i missing something??

if you're trying to record the midi track to later trigger sounds from your yamaha (or something elese), the procedure is different.

does that help?
Old 05-14-2004, 04:51 AM

Open a MIDI track,assign it's input to ALL and it's out put to what ever MIDI channel you have the YAMAHA plugged into,, why have you added the XTRA midi interface if you only have one keyboard,,try plugging the YAMAHA straight into the 002,,
Now take the left and right outs of your YAMAHA and plug them into inputs 3 and 4 on your 002,,
Now open a stereo aux track and assign it's input to 3/4,,make sure the fader is up,,
Make sure local on is set to off on your yamaha or you may get a midi echo or goasting,,
Hit record on your midi track and you should be able to hear sound,,
For every new voice you want to recieve from the YAMAHA you will need to have the yamaha set to multi mode and you will need a new midi track set up in PT with a new channel nomber,,