How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Waves alternatives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
McDSP's 'Channel G' does both SSL E and G Channel simulation, very well, and more.

It also has both the EQ and Compression available in one plugin, or you can load a version that has only the EQ or only the Compressor, to save a little CPU power if you only need that one element.

Not AXX yet, but several of their other plugins are already released with AAX, so it's only a matter of time. If you buy their latest version then they've promised free AAX updates as each is released.

The only learning curve is that it is different graphically. It's design layout was done to allow it to fit the dedicated channel strip section on the big Avid/Digidesign desks.

It's a beautiful piece of work, and I also recommend trying out their Analog Channel (AAX already released) , CompressorBank (AAX already released), De-Esser, Filterbank (AAX already released), and Noise Filter plugins. I always use McDSP plugins unless I need session compatibility with other people that don't have them.

They give out fully functional 14 demo licenses to load onto your iLok, so you can try before you buy too.

Try Channel G, I'm sure you'll be impressed.

BTW, I'm a customer of theirs, not affiliated in any way ;-)

Cheers,

Nigel
I got the waves gold bundle with my first pt rig (001), went to platinum, and love them.

Now I found MCDSP and everything has changed, if you have not tried, you should.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
McDSP's 'Channel G' does both SSL E and G Channel simulation, very well, and more.

It also has both the EQ and Compression available in one plugin, or you can load a version that has only the EQ or only the Compressor, to save a little CPU power if you only need that one element.

Not AXX yet, but several of their other plugins are already released with AAX, so it's only a matter of time. If you buy their latest version then they've promised free AAX updates as each is released.

The only learning curve is that it is different graphically. It's design layout was done to allow it to fit the dedicated channel strip section on the big Avid/Digidesign desks.

It's a beautiful piece of work, and I also recommend trying out their Analog Channel (AAX already released) , CompressorBank (AAX already released), De-Esser, Filterbank (AAX already released), and Noise Filter plugins. I always use McDSP plugins unless I need session compatibility with other people that don't have them.

They give out fully functional 14 demo licenses to load onto your iLok, so you can try before you buy too.

Try Channel G, I'm sure you'll be impressed.

BTW, I'm a customer of theirs, not affiliated in any way ;-)

Cheers,

Nigel
I agree on the MCDSP plugins being great although as a long time user I'm not crazy about the AAX updates for the classic plug ins. I don't consider removing features to be an "upgrade". Also they are not backward compatible.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
If there's track freezing in the next version of Pro Tools, waves native might be all you'd need for many waves-only processing jobs while tracking.
Nope. Everything must happen real-time with low latency. Freezing does not cut it when you're in front of live audience...
Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
I agree on the MCDSP plugins being great although as a long time user I'm not crazy about the AAX updates for the classic plug ins. I don't consider removing features to be an "upgrade". Also they are not backward compatible.
+1
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 PM

Take the SSL-series for example. How many of you have found a replacement for the E-series channel strip? Maybe a Sonnox EQ coupled with Sonnox Dynamics, only having to open two plugin windows simultaneously.

Or the C6 which is magnificent, which plug to replace it? The GUI is really simple and one can get desired results very fast.

For SSL I know Its G Series but UAD has really great sounding plugs without the Native strain on your cpu.....

C6 I hardly use I replaced with Waves Labs MultiDynamics.... Gives me way more than 6 Bands if I need it too.... Really nice and transparent....

Waves has its benefits... and drawbacks.... The only plug I keep going back to time after time is the REQ, RVox and Rcompressor.... But this is just My workflow and my opinion...
Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown7282 View Post
Take the SSL-series for example. How many of you have found a replacement for the E-series channel strip? Maybe a Sonnox EQ coupled with Sonnox Dynamics, only having to open two plugin windows simultaneously.

Or the C6 which is magnificent, which plug to replace it? The GUI is really simple and one can get desired results very fast.

For SSL I know Its G Series but UAD has really great sounding plugs without the Native strain on your cpu.....

C6 I hardly use I replaced with Waves Labs MultiDynamics.... Gives me way more than 6 Bands if I need it too.... Really nice and transparent....

Waves has its benefits... and drawbacks.... The only plug I keep going back to time after time is the REQ, RVox and Rcompressor.... But this is just My workflow and my opinion...
again, try the McDSP Channel G demo. Very light CPU load; it's what Rush is using on their monitor rigs live. I like Colin's stuff and currently own Analog Channel, Filter and compressor banks, Revolver, ML4000 and the 575 Noise reducer. I would imagine they will have AAX versions for all at NAMM in a few weeks or at least a path explaining when.

I like the fact that they don't try to make every different kind of plugin. Waves may have a few very good plugins, but they now have so many and there are so many cracked versions out that supporting and updating that many has to be a financial and coding nightmare. If they were smart, they'd drop some of the less-used plugins (or end of life them) so that they can focus on updating the plugins that matter. I own Gold but find myself using it less and less; depending on the WUP cost in 2013, may have to consider dropping it.

Then again, I'm a home recordist so my workflow needs aren't critical. Just my $0.02.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 01-17-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
those old waves plug-ins require dramatically less DSP than today's "better sounding replacements." Lots of them still sound remarkably good and have no competition at a comparably low level of DSP overhead.
What I've heard is Waves back in the day had a REALLY CLEVER guy coding efficient assembly for TDM and if this is really true they might have hard time to repeat the success with AAX-DSP.

Remains to be seen...
Old 01-18-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
What I've heard is Waves back in the day had a REALLY CLEVER guy coding efficient assembly for TDM and if this is really true they might have hard time to repeat the success with AAX-DSP.

Remains to be seen...
Well if we're doing rumors.. that guy, was probably Colin from MCDSP

Well we know he worked at Digi so maybe that's why he's having a much easier time than others

Wave-T.com
Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 AM

"That guy" is Waves co-founder Meir Shaashua who I understand still leads their development team.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out because we are speculating about vapor-ware and won't know any facts before we actually get to use the 64 bit versions of everything.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:34 AM

I'd be happy with a free upgrade to AAX from Mercury Native. Its going to be interesting to see how they deal with upgrades for WUP'ed up bundle owners.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88