anyone can add to the list
PreSonus 1824c
Faderport 16
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12
Studio One 6.5 Pro
Logic Pro X
Old 08-27-2013, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Fix List For Artist Series

Fix plugin bypass, eq band in/out, aux on/off buttons that often stops working or not indicating their state.
It also sometimes happen that sends adjustment hangs.
2xHD madi - 2xHD omni -
Old 08-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Dyn mode, compressor page, add Output level on the spare pot to allow balancing of threshold and output without paging....

Eq and dyn mode, on entering, provide a menu for choosing which eq or dyn insert you wish to edit if there are more than 1 instantiated.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:45 PM

To Avid this probably a feature request rather than a fix per se: Square pan window for surround panning and support for 7.1 panning.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
Fix the EQ mode mapping so that LF is on left and HF is on right (on Artist Control - seems to be more sensible on the Mix) though no 'Q' controls on either.
THIS + a googleplex!!!
Altho technically you get to the Q parameter by holding the shift button and tapping on screen on the freq pot, just learnt this the other day...so intuitive eh?
Personally prefer filters in there and one parametric band
Old 08-27-2013, 03:18 PM

Fix banking inconsistencies when faders are assigned in the control panel.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
What! How on earth did you find this? I'm now 'shift-tapping' every control I can find just in case
This is a functionality of the System 5. I think its really, really nifty because its like custom mapping on a D-Command where you can get multiple parameters on to one knob.

Unfortunately, its only on the EQ page and the Channel strip that I know of. The way that Avid and 3rd party manufacturers can enable these "switchable" parameters is by making a EuCon 1x8 layout. As far as I know, a lot of plug-in manufacturers don't do that.

Quote:
Agreed! And it gets worse if you set your mix/es to bank independently from your control. I now tend to have a layout that nails every fader down...along with an 'emergency' un-nail everything layout if I need to get to do anything else like 'fader spills'.
Definitely agreed 100%. I basically work the same way at my place. But the Banking logic is not very solid the way that it currently stands, and I think this should be fairly high on the fix list.

Quote:
Fix the documentation! The documentation on EQ mode is as non-committal as Avid management. It doesn't specify what the EQ mode layout should be. Neither does it specify where we may find a list of 'supported plugins'.

From the manual:

Using the EQ and DYN Keys
You can use the EQ and DYN keys on the Artist Mix an Artist Control to quickly access inserted EQ
or dynamics plug-ins.
To access an EQ or dynamics plug-in directly:
1 Bank to display a track with an EQ (or dynamics) plug-in inserted.
2 Press the EQ (or DYN) key. The display shows the names of any inserted EQ or dynamics plug-ins,
regardless of their slot location (a–f ).
3 Press the encoder below the EQ or dynamics plug-in you want to edit.

Nope - You do NOT get a choice - you get the first EQ or Dynamics plugin.
Yep, agree 100% again. This is a big problem if you have more than one plug-in of any kind of a track.

Quote:
EQ/DYN Keys and Standard Plug-in Mapping
When you navigate to an EQ or Dynamics plug-in using the INSERTS key, the parameters are arranged
across your hardware controls in a layout unique to that plug-in, and/or its manufacturer.
The EQ and DYN keys, by contrast, map the parameters of supported plug-ins according to a standard
control layout. This lets the controls appear in the same arrangement across your controller, regardless
of the model or manufacturer.

Key phrase 'supported plug-ins', and mind telling us what that standard control layout is?
I guess I'm really unclear what you want from this page. There is no "list of supported plug-ins" because the way that a plug-in supports the EQ map (or standard control layout) is by simply making a Digidesign EQ or Digidesign COM LIM pagetable. These are the same pagetables that the ICon uses to focus to the center section, so if a plug-in supports the ICon center section, it is supported on the EQ and DYN pages of the Artist Series.

And what do you mean by "it doesn't specify what the EQ mode layout should be"? The EQ layout is simply the 2 pages that open up when you hit the EQ button or knob. The first page is controls for Hi, Hi-Mid, Lo-Mid, and Lo bands, and the second page is the Hi and Lo filters, the Mid band, and the Input and Output gain parameters.

Let me know if I misunderstood any of your confusion, and I'll definitely try and answer again if I can.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_Sydney View Post
THIS + a googleplex!!!
Altho technically you get to the Q parameter by holding the shift button and tapping on screen on the freq pot, just learnt this the other day...so intuitive eh?
Personally prefer filters in there and one parametric band
Hey Brent what do you mean by you would prefer filters and one parametric band in there? Do you want the filters and parametric band to be on the switchable parameters so they only pop up when you Shift +press something else?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you mean.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:12 AM

I think we've got a really good list, so far. I've compiled it below in no particular order so maybe we can help Avid out by having one uniform list.

EuControl Functionality:
1) Monitor Control Knob/Studio Monitor Express not functional in Mountain Lion (and not very well integrated for Windows).

2) Soft key settings disappearing for no reason.

3) Application switch softkey on the Artist Transport (bottom left) and jog wheel clockwise scrolls through open application list as expected. Application switch softkey and jog wheel anti-clockwise doesn't.

4) Page Table issues for the Windows EuControl 3.0 pagetables:

Quote:
A) Physical Softkeys Page 6 & 35 - Previous & Next clip keys use incorrect modifier keys for described function so it doesn't work out of the box on the PC platform.

B) Physical softkeys Page 1, 9, 34, 36, 37 use incorrect modifier keys & key order for 'Control, Win, Alt' on the PC platform.

C) Touchscreen softkeys: Home->Editing->Wheel page goes to 'channel meters' page. Page 49 is wrong and access to the original 'Wheel' based operations page has gone AWOL. This is really ugly.
5) Wheel based Trim Clip Start/End on the Artist Transport and Control produces 'The command will affect locked clips' if clips are Time locked. As long as clips are not edit locked trimming should be allowed without warning.

6) Fix the EQ mode on the Artist Control mapping so that LF is on left and HF is on right (this seems to be more sensible on the Mix). This applies to the filters as well.

7) Copy the Output Level control to the Compressor page in the DYN pagetable, because this is many times used as make-up gain, and would be more sensible on the same page as the Compressor settings. It should also be left on the Key/Sidechain page.

8) If there is more than one EQ or DYN plug-in on a channel, provide a menu for choosing which plug-in you wish to edit when you enter the EQ and DYN pages.

9) General Artist/Workstation connectivity issues that are still happening.

10) Enable a Square panner on the touchscreen of the Artist Control when working in Pro Tools. Include proper support for 7.1 panning on this panner.

11) Fix banking logic inconsistencies on the Artist Series. This includes having all units bank as one unit, have banking work correctly when tracks are locked down in a layout, etc.

Documentation:
Artist Series and Pro Tools Guide v 11.0 - Guide part no 9329-65305-00 REV A 05/13

P.26 - Final paragraph. Says "To Deselect a track: Hold Command (Mac) or Start (Windows) on your computer keyboard and press a lit track SEL key.' The correct windows modifier is 'Control' not Start.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAPSpace View Post
Hey Brent what do you mean by you would prefer filters and one parametric band in there? Do you want the filters and parametric band to be on the switchable parameters so they only pop up when you Shift +press something else?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you mean.
No, i mean the current eq page layout is 4 parametric bands, filters on page 2.
In post, I use the filters more that simultaneous para bands. No idea if Im alone in this. So Id prefer filters on page 1 and all controls for one para band, no button pressing for q...
Ie
lo pass filter freq, slope
High pass filter freq, slope,
Para freq
Para q
Para gain
Spare pot for something useful

OR probably more useful, filters and 2 parametric bands on the first page

Hi pass filter freq
Para 1 freq
Para 1 q
Para 1 gain

Lo pass freq
Para 2 freq
Para 2 q
Para 2 gain

If plugin mapping happens any time soon, thatd be the layout Id use for most of my goto eqs.