How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 04-01-2019, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Best iMac to upgrade too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterle View Post
an i5 is also not sufficient for pt btw , it will need an i7 at least.
im not sure if it makes sense to upgrade ram in this model with this cpu ,
which gpu btw?
The i5 in this iMac may be absolutely fine. It is a quad core processor without crappy hyperthreading to upset stuff and need to be disabled We need to be careful not to parrot old advice from days when i5 meant dual core. We have *no* clue what the workload is here until then it’s kind of pointless to make any recomendations or trust what some random Avid support person said even if the system memory is lower than we might all prefer.

First rule of Pro Tools club is always suspect plugins.... was that troubleshooting done??? Hopefully yes if Avid support got involved... but let’s see.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli P View Post
Why don't you just buy a second hand with more Ram?
I'd check out OWC for that bit of business.

QAPLA!
Old 04-07-2019, 12:20 AM

Thanks for the reply. The technical support asked me no questions. They simply said i did not have enough RAM and that was that. They also said that PT loads all the plug ins into memory on start up therefore it does not matter if I have no plug ins activated. The plug ins I use are from wave and from sound toys. Nothing fancy just basic audio processing stuff- EQ compression, gates, I use the API EQ a lot. Also use lexicon reverb. My sessions are not big - very unlikely to be more than 10 tracks. The problem will occur whether I am recording or mixing. I run a Lynx Aurora 8 with a firewire card. I do use an adapter from firewire to thunderbolt. I record to an external drive. Its called the G drive - got from the mac store. That drive is run off a USB connection. Also have 256 Buffer size. The problem is intermittent. I can go for hours with no problem recording - then up comes a series of error messages. The optimisations I have done in the past based on your recommendations. I have had this problem for ever really - I used run a safire interface and run the external drive in series - still had it. Also had this issue with the iMac i had before this one. Thanks for helping. Cheers Tony
Old 04-07-2019, 01:23 AM

Do you need to have a 256 sample buffer when recording or can you run at a larger buffer size and monitor through hardware monitoring in the interface? Even if you cannot in practice record like that can you at least play back reliably with the largest size IO buffer?

Sounds like you had a fairly useless interaction with Avid support.

Yes plugins all load at startup, but it’s the sample based VI plugins that soak up memory, and good it seems you are not using any of those.

With limited memory set disk cache to “normal”, do not have any other programs running, including web browsers. uncheck “dynamic plugin processing”. And while troubleshooting uncheck “ignore errors”

What *exact* model G-tech external drive are you using?

What session sample rate are you working at?

What *exact* AAE or other errors are you getting?

Double check every last optimization is done, including disable WiFi, disable Bluetooth, I would try disabling all networking, (also mark all drives private so they are not spotlight indexed).

Please try to pay careful attention to stuff and provide clearer specific info... sounds like you should have run through standard troubleshooting steps long ago... you are running a marginal memory system but I would try to understand what is causing your problems with small sessions before potentially spending thousands of dollars.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:26 AM

Ill have to get back to you to confirm the exact error message. I did send a screen shot to the help desk but I don't have it now. What i can say is:
I do monitor directly through the interface.
The external drive is: G|DRIVE USB 3.0 4TB. It has two firewire connections and USB.
Session Sample rate is 44,000 and 24bit.
Thanks Tony
Old 04-07-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyreed View Post
Ill have to get back to you to confirm the exact error message. I did send a screen shot to the help desk but I don't have it now. What i can say is:
I do monitor directly through the interface.
Then you should be running at the largest IO buffer size the interface will support, that should normally fix many /most CPU errors.

Quote:
The external drive is: G|DRIVE USB 3.0 4TB. It has two firewire connections and USB.
G-Technology makes both 4,800 and 7,200 rpm versions of 4TB drives. What exact model do you have? Is it this one? https://www.storagereview.com/gtechn...review_0g02537
Check exact model numbers. If so it’s 7,200 rpm and should be OK.

But if it is a 4,800 rpm drive you need to replace it. Get a Samsung T5 SSD https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GZBT36

Why is the audio drive 4TB? I hope you are not running VI audio samples from it. Be sure to make that drive private so the Mac is not trying to index it for Spotlight.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:09 AM

The drive is the 0G02539. I believe it is 7200RPM.
Ill increase the buffer size and see how that goes.
Thanks for your help.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
er . . . no, you can't. Darryl is correct. My previous post was what is known as a "joke". Look at the date today, and it might give you a clue.

The RAM on this model is soldered onto the motherboard.
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/i...015-specs.html

quote from EveryMac.com:
As first confirmed by site sponsor Other World Computing, this RAM is soldered onboard and cannot be upgraded at all after the purchase of the system.
LOL a real stand up comic , just don`t quit your day job
Old 05-19-2019, 12:51 AM

Its been a while since I continued this thread. i was trying out fixes to my AAE issues. What I can report is that I can run my system at the maximum buffer size and I still get AAE 6101 errors. Not all the time - but none the less it does pop up.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyreed View Post
Its been a while since I continued this thread. i was trying out fixes to my AAE issues. What I can report is that I can run my system at the maximum buffer size and I still get AAE 6101 errors. Not all the time - but none the less it does pop up.
Have you tried a session without any plugins inserted?
Have you moved all third party plugins to the unused folder and tried with just using the stock PT plugins?
What size sessions?
Any vi's or is it all audio?
This may have been asked/answered but is your system drive a Fusion drive?

QAPLA!