Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-04-2005, 04:45 PM

Default The whole Service Pack 2 cockup!

I think Its pretty much established now that Service Pack 2 is a no fly zone unless you are partial to a gamble..

What I dont understand is why install SP2 in the first place (unless your PC comes with it pre-installed...)

Am I missing some essential update SP2 gives you that is a "must have"...??? Is it a miracle cure to all the bugs in SP1, Does it give you an impenetratable firewall, or infalable virus killer...does it enhance your PC as a music tool...??????

In plain terms.... Whats the point...????????

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm seriously asking as I read post after post from people who were sucessfully running Pro tools with Service Pack 1 who went and installed SP2 of their own free will.

I understand that many people dont have a dedicated Music PC and use them for other stuff, but what actual enhancements in the real world and not from Microshafts blurb...do you get...?

Please tell me what I'm missing here....

Freakybeatz
Old 01-04-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: The whole Service Pack 2 cockup!

For the most part you're not missing anything but security features with SP2.

I think SP2 is a tad more "overall" responsive than SP1, but this probably because of Visual Studio 7 compiler optimizations not availible in Visual Studio 6 w/SP1.

If you must use the net on your PTLE/SP1 box then use a linksys router with its (built in) firewall enabled (disable XP's CPU/RAM hogging software firewall) and use Firefox instead of IE, thunderbird for email or simply disable attachments and read in plain text with OE. And virus scan your manual downloads before opening them, hows that for simple security?
Old 01-04-2005, 07:46 PM

Quote:
For the most part you're not missing anything but security features with SP2.
Yeah, that's right. Nothing but a more secure operating system with SP2. It's not like anybody will ever hack into your PC and trash your hard drives, with all or protools sessions on them. Be a good PT-user and get a whole second computer to run Protools on. You'll just have to sneakernet all your Protools update, plugin updates, and iLok authorizations from one computer to the Protools computer. In fact you probably shouldn't use SP1 either, nothing there except bug fixes. I have an original pre-SP1 install CD that I'll sell you, if you want.

I've been using SP2 for a couple of weeks now with my MBox and PT6.4. I haven't noticed any problems.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-04-2005, 11:53 PM

By the way,

I've SP2 installed on both my laptop and desktop and PT6.7 works fine on M-BOX and DIGI002R ...
Old 01-05-2005, 07:22 AM

JCBigler ,
Sorry for bringing this out, but ;
Quote:
I have an original pre-SP1 install CD that I'll sell you, if you want.

Why would you make such an offer ?
There are some legal issues surrounding that, not ???
cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring