Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2019, 11:18 AM

Default MIDI start/reset command

Hi,
I've got PT Ultimate
2019.6.0 going, and a nagging question regarding MIDI clock, and specifically the MIDI start functionality.

So, if I'm clocking external drum machines and sequencers to PT, they chase fine and sync beautifully after messing with the buffer and offset, as usual. However, it's very irritating to only get an external sequencer to clock correctly only if the session is played back from the session start. Depending on the device, often times, the sequencer will not reset when you hit spacebar from anywhere else in the timeline.

In this example, I'm using an Intellijel uMIDI MIDI to CV interface, chasing over regular 5-pin DIN MIDI via a MOTU Express 128. That uMIDI is then sending CV commands to a Malekko Varigate 8+, driving various modules. It'll start up fine from bar 1 beat 1. Otherwise, it gets wonky.

If I use the SAME hardware scenario with Live 10 Suite, the functionality and sync is far superior: the Varigate will receive a reset command via the uMIDI (which upstream translates to a MIDI start command from the DAW) and sync perfectly from any bar in the session. Also, if you start from, say, bar 4 beat 2, it won't playback the sequence until bar 5 beat 1. Far more useful.

I've had this same scenario happen with many other sequencer devices that want a MIDI start command, and the same problems arise.

Has anyone ever found a workaround or a solution to this? Thanks in advance for your time and replies.

Regards,
Justin Meldal-Johnsen
Old 09-02-2019, 12:17 PM

Default Re: MIDI start/reset command

Hey Justin,

I don’t have a direct solution, but funnily enough I’ve been dealing with exactly the same issue this week trying to clock external sequencers and drum machines.

I think part of the issue is that anywhere other than the top of the session, Pro Tools will only send a Continue message, not a Start. Which means the sequencer will just pick up from the pause position.

I started looking into ways of interpreting MMC and Timecode in Max to then send further downstream (basically trying to replicate Live’s Link functionality). No joy yet, but as a short term solution I’ve made a tiny patch that receives the MIDI clock from PT and converts the Continue message to a Start so that as long as the playback begins from the start of a Bar, the external gear will at least be in sync - even if it isn’t exactly in the right spot for the sequence.

Having slightly more sophisticated clocking like Live or Elektron’s Overbridge does would be so welcome in Pro Tools.

Tim
Old 09-04-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Allen View Post
Hey Justin,

I don’t have a direct solution, but funnily enough I’ve been dealing with exactly the same issue this week trying to clock external sequencers and drum machines.

I think part of the issue is that anywhere other than the top of the session, Pro Tools will only send a Continue message, not a Start. Which means the sequencer will just pick up from the pause position.

I started looking into ways of interpreting MMC and Timecode in Max to then send further downstream (basically trying to replicate Live’s Link functionality). No joy yet, but as a short term solution I’ve made a tiny patch that receives the MIDI clock from PT and converts the Continue message to a Start so that as long as the playback begins from the start of a Bar, the external gear will at least be in sync - even if it isn’t exactly in the right spot for the sequence.

Having slightly more sophisticated clocking like Live or Elektron’s Overbridge does would be so welcome in Pro Tools.

Tim
Hi Tim,
Thanks for your perspective on this. So you run this Max patch in the background via Live as you work in PT? And it's a fairly elegant solution for now?
Justin
Old 12-02-2019, 04:03 AM

Hey Justin,

I run the Max patch as a standalone app in the background to intercept the clock from Pro Tools and forward it on downstream. Seems to work to at least keep the drum machines/sequencers running from the start of their pattern.

It's a super simple patch, but I can happily send it over if it'd be helpful.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 01-08-2020, 07:47 AM

Hey Tim,

I'v actually worked with Justin, above, and had this same issue.
Id love to try your Patch if you'd be willing to send it over?
Old 01-08-2020, 02:52 PM

Hey Jimmy,

Of course - I'd be happy to send it over. It's pretty simplistic still as I haven't had any time to develop it.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 01-08-2020, 04:42 PM

It's been 20+ years since I worked with stuff like this, my memory isn't what it was, but I remember a thing called "Song position pointer". A part of MIDI protocol, and I know I made use of it. That's all I can remember. Anyone interested, google it. There's lots of info.