Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-02-2008, 01:13 AM

Default Ableton \"Failed to open the ASIO device ASIO Digidesign Dvr\"

Hi Guys,

I have just got a new Vista laptop (Dell M1530), I have Protools 7.4 working ok with my MBox2 mini, but when I open Ableton 7 and try to select the Digidesign driver I get the error "Failed to open the ASIO device ASIO Digidesign Driver".

I cant seem to find anything on it on the web, have you guys seen this before in type of setup?

Many thanks!
Old 02-02-2008, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Ableton \"Failed to open the ASIO device ASIO Digidesign

alright so here's the deal..currently for vista(home edition plus more) mbox is only used as a soundcard for pro tools..you can hear sounds fine when you use protools.. but so far its not a overall soundcard.. if you close pro tools you cant hear sounds from say windows media player, or ableton or reason etc..

i was having the same problem they said they should be releasing a patch soon that fixes that problem..im frustrated as hell cuz i want to use my mbox and i dont have the luxury of taking my comp down to windows xp ...so we're basically stuck until they figure out a patch
Old 02-04-2008, 05:26 AM

Thanks for the info Alex. So are you saying that LE 7.4 is fully working, but using the digidesign driver for anything else is not? i.e. Ableton 7?

I tried opening Ableton with Protool 7.4 already open but I received the same error...

Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:16 PM

Just to clarify...

Can ableton 7 (or 6) work on Vista using the MBOX2 ASIO drivers? Or do I have to wait for a patch. I am getting conflicting info. and I cant see anyone else getting my error when I select the ASIO driver from the Ableton preferences..

I want to know if I just have to wait or if there is something I can do to get it working?

thanks all!
Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Ableton \"Failed to open the ASIO device ASIO Digidesign Dvr\"

I am also using a new Dell M1530 with Vista Home Premium but am having trouble getting sound consistently to play. Have you done anything extraordinary to the laptop to get it to work with 7.4 consistently?
Old 02-05-2008, 03:28 PM

To be honest i havent used it properly with 7.4 yet, I wanted to get Ableton going first, as I only track in PT and usually use Ableton for most of my creative stuff and ideas. So, i dont know if it works consistently in PT 7.4. But it does seem to work... What do you mean by inconsistent?

Does Ableton accept the Digidesign ASIO driver on your setup?

MTW how cool is the M1530!

I cant beloeve no-one seems to know about this.....
Old 02-05-2008, 08:04 PM

Yeah, the M1530 is quite a nice toy and I got it refurbished from Dell with a 200GB 7200RPM drive for about $1500 less than an equivalent MacBook Pro. Now, the only trick will be to make it work. I've successfully loaded the PT 7.4 (with Vista) and the MBox 2 Pro. Only problem is that when I go to play a track from a previous session, the cursor moves, but only occassionally will play audibly with sound. Haven't tried recording yet as I think this issue needs to be resolved immediately. Restored the entire machine from disk image to factory shipped disk (another great feature) and reloaded the PT a number of times. I was on the phone with Digi yesterday and they think it might be the 4 pin Firewire jack. I'm not so sure as it's definitely compliant with their preferred chips. Turning wi-fi on or off doesn't seem to matter as neither does the performance based tweaks in their trouble shooting list.

Hope you get yours going. If you can think of any tricks, please pass them along!

P.S. I have a crimson red one, very cute machine! Don't have Ableton.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Ableton \"Failed to open the ASIO device ASIO Digidesign Dvr\"

I gotcha!! Go to your executable files for the Program your trying to run such as Appleton, Fruity Loops, Reason, etc... Under the Program Icon, Right Click the opening program icon and choose "Run as Administrator". Then go to the preferences option, Click the audio tab and then click the asio driver on the drop down bar. Tada, It should work, I was recieving the same error message and now it's been working fine.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:16 AM

Thumbs down Re: Ableton "Failed to open the ASIO device ASIO Digidesign Dvr"

Hi there,

I'm having a similar issue...

Trying to make my Behringer FCA202 work in Ableton. I've installed the VISTA update on my laptop but when I go to Audio preferences in Ableton and select the audio device "FCA202 ASIO Driver," I get the error message: Failed to open the audio device "FCA202 ASIO Driver."

Are you suggesting that Behringer have just made a [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]e Vista Driver that hardly works on any setup or am I not doing something I should?

I'm a full time sound engineer and fairly technically savvy so this sort of problem really annoys me as I've just spent good money on getting decent sound from my laptop into Pro-Tools on my mac only to find it doesn't work?

If anyone can see the light please help me see it too...

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Ableton "Failed to open the ASIO device ASIO Digidesign Dvr"

Hi There

I am having the same issue when I open Aturia Analouge factory, and try to set the audio device to the digidesign wave driver it throws up "error while opening "ASIO digidesign driver" bad device"

I'm running vista with 7.4

Thanks for any ideas.

T