Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2010, 02:29 PM

Default Avid HD I/O questions:

Howdy -

I'm very close to getting an HD Native setup, but I can't decide between the HD 8x8 or the 16x16 (analog).

For the shorter term, the 8x8 makes much more sense (I'm doing mostly ITB mixing with a few pieces of outboard). However, for longer term growth, the 16x16 is probably a good idea.

The thing I can't figure out is why the 8x8 only has one expansion port. On the back of the 16x16, the picture shows 4 bays filled (2 by eight-channel input cards, 2 by eight channel output cards). Why does the 8x8 only have one available for expansion - shouldn't two bays take care of the I/O??

If I could buy the 8x8 and later add 2 option cards to get it up to 16x16 if needed, this would be the best situation.

I guess I assumed these were the exact same boxes with different cards in them, but perhaps they are different boxes? Or I'm missing something easy...

Thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Avid HD I/O questions:

Looking at the specs again of the two boxes, I guess the 8x8 also has an 8-channel TDIF and AES card in it.

Is it possible to later remove that card and put in two analog cards (thus effectively making it into a 16x16 analog, just a little more expensive than buying it that way in the first place)?
Old 12-21-2010, 03:43 PM

It says one bay for expansion which to me implies that only one more card can be added, either ins or outs, not both I wouldn't think.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:53 PM

A couple of things to consider:

1. It's not just a little more expensive to add cards later, it's a lot more expensive. You'd be looking at about $2600 to add 2 more cards later ($1295 each). Whereas if you buy the 16 by 16, it's only $1000 more than the 8 by 8.

2. Besides the cards, the 16 x 16 still includes 8 channels of adat in and out (or spidf optical), as well as 2 channels in and out of AES and Spidf. This is over on the right side and is standard regardless of the card configurations. Though it's still a max of 16 in, 16 out, it still gives you these digital options. Unless you really need a lot of digital I/O at one time, this unit seems like the best overall value. Seems worth the extra $1000 to get it all up front.

You can see a good picture of the back of the unit on the Sweetwater site. Click on the picture to enlarge it:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDioAnalog
Old 12-22-2010, 05:52 AM

Yeah, in terms of $$ it makes sense to go big now.

It just seems like a lot of empty channels now (since I have little outboard), but I guess as a solid base for expansion over the next decade, it's a good investment.

sold!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:08 AM

Plus buying it as part of the HD Native bundle discounts everything even a little more. I'm hoping very soon to get the Omni bundle myself.