Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-20-2000, 06:25 PM

Default SCSI, firewire, or USB CD BURNER

I have notice alot of people are using SCSI cd burners. Has anyone had any luck using a USB or a Firewire burner. If so any suggestions on which brands are good.
Old 03-20-2000, 08:24 PM

Default Re: SCSI, firewire, or USB CD BURNER

tried a USB Q drive that was supposed to burn on 4 speed, but did it only on 2 speed (Toast recommended 2 speed). A shame though. I love to get CD burner of the SCSI chain. Firewire anybody???
Old 03-21-2000, 10:56 AM

I reviewed a USB CD-RW for a magazine back in June and had mostly bad experiences. I bought SCSI and am much happier. So far, for CD-R/RW, the only chioce seems to be SCSI. Firewire may replace it, but not yet.

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 03-30-2000, 11:20 AM

I use a USB CD burner an it works fine!
Old 04-04-2000, 11:51 AM

I just received and plugged in my QPS 8x4x32 Firewire Drive and have only used it to record CD from my Apple internal drive to the external new drive at 8X and also to record converted MP3 files at same speed this worked Great on CDR. I burnt a CDRW and my standard Home stereo would not play it but my computer would. It seams to be working fine in my BW G3 300 with Adaptec Toast 4.0. This is my first experience at burning CD's so I really don't know how to test it at this time to let everyone know how well it performs. Here's the egghead address to the drive for more info. ray
http://www.egghead.com/category/inv/...4/02687491.htm

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz OSX 10.6.2
2 GB Memory 200 GB 7200 internal drive
M-Box 2 Mini ProTools 8.0.3
Old 04-08-2000, 08:26 PM

I just got aque firewire drive...There is definate problems....Jam is not compatible with firewire. Im trying to mock sequence this reocrd im working on and there are many cross fades... i need to ID (Index) the cd...so i dont just get 1 track on the cd,,,
jam does his but my firewire burner is not compatible with jam...Are there any programs that will work for me???
Old 04-08-2000, 10:45 PM

Just got the USB Sony Spressa and it works great.

My $0.02.
Old 04-12-2000, 02:03 AM

All you USB CD burner users. Are you getting 4x copying out of them. If so what system
Thanks

------------------
John
Old 04-12-2000, 10:40 PM

nutz,

Since Toast is the only program (that I know of) that will let you burn audio CD's with a firewire burner, you will have to make that work. Toast 4.0 Deluxe can burn disc-at-once , red book ("real") CD's with no gaps between songs. But only from 44.1khz 16bit stereo interleaved files; each file shows up as an ID on the CD. Toast does not recognize regions or markers, and there is no way to add or delete ID's.

There are a few ways you can get from where you are now (a single large file) to individual stereo interleaved files for each song:

1. You can load the large file into PT Le, define regions (song1, song2, etc), and then use the "export selected as files" command to create stereo interleaved files for each region. See page 129 of the PT reference manual.

2. I'm not positive, but I think you can create regions in Jam and save the file as a Jam image. Then you can find a shareware program called Rex (Region Extractor) to batch convert the regions into indvidual files. I got Rex years ago, from DAW-Mac.com, maybe??? (Insert the sound of human memory fizzling...)

3. If you want to part with some clams, you could buy Peak (www.bias-inc.com) or TC Spark (www.tcworks.de). Both of these programs will do WAY more than define regions and export as files. Peak will let you arrange, crossfade, audition, and even add plug-ins in real time to a playlist from your large file. Once you are satisfied, you can hit a "write CD" button and Peak will create individual files with all of your plug-ins and fades applied, open Toast, and load the files in the correct order. (If you want anything other than 2 sec gaps between songs, you will have to change those from within Toast).

Toast is not very versatile, but it does work for many applications.

Whew! Time to turn in...

Jeff D.
Old 04-12-2000, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Charismac's Discribe lists 3 firewire drives as supported:
http://www.charismac.com/Products/Di...cribedata.html
(demo available there)
Some dealers bundle it with firewire burners instead of Toast.

------------------
Bruce Paine
eMarketing