Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-1998, 02:35 AM

Default AudioVision to ProTools

I am having a problem exporting 2 very simple tracklay sequences from AudioVision 4 (temppunchfix) into ProTools 4.1.1 the session opens right until the very last moment - calculating overviews etc. - and then suddenly quits with an error message 1 or 2 - any ideas? - Phil
Old 10-17-1998, 02:02 PM
Avid

Default Re: AudioVision to ProTools

If Pro Tools is crashing with a Type 1 or 2 error message it could be RAM related on the Pro Tools machine. Run RAMcheck, etc. to see if there any problems there.

Although a RAM allocation problem for Pro Tools and DAE does not usually show itself in this way, it is possible.

Take a look at how much RAM is allocated to DAE and Pro Tools by doing a "Get Info" on each application icon. The minimum settings should always be left at their defaults, the preferred settings can be increased depending on how much system RAM you have. If the minimum has been changed they can be reset to the default by typing "0" in the minimum setting box and closing the Get Info window.

Calculating overviews is a function of Pro Tools itself (as opposed to DAE) so I would take a look at that first. Depending on what hardware you are running (I'm assuming Pro Tools III PCI) you can increase the preferred memory setting of Pro Tools to 20 to 25MB and the same for DAE. More if you are using a lot of additional plugins.

Another thing I would try, would be to create a new session in Pro Tools and attempt to import a file(s) that was not created in Pro Tools. For example, take an audio file digitized in AV (or better yet from another application or an audio track off of a CD, use import other movie audio function for this) and import it into an existing Pro Tools session using the import function under the "audio" button of the Pro Tools region list.

This will force Pro Tools to calculate an overview on this file. If Pro Tools crashes here the problem is most likely a Pro Tools problem as opposed to an AV export problem.

If there is no problem with this, then I would take a look at the sequence you are trying to open up in Pro Tools from AV.

Do any sequences from AV make it into Pro Tools or is it only this one that has problems?

If any of this doesn't help give us a call.

Thanks,

Jon Connolly