Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2016, 11:46 PM

Default Full scale white noise and random audio

I have just experienced something I have NEVER seen PT do in the 20 years I have been using it. I was recording audio off the input of a tape machine into PT and after the completed take I rewound the multi-track and re-recorded the actual audio off repro into Pro Tools on a separate playlist, locked to tape. Nothing new here, done this many times on this very system without a problem.

When I auditioned my new audio transferred from tape I got full scale white noise and screechy dentist drill type noises off playback. Switching back to Plist 3 (which was off the input of the tape machine) everything played back fine, overviews look great, session behaves normally. When I switch over to Plist 4, with the new tape layback on it, even though the overviews look fine I'm getting full scale horror on some tracks and _random audio from other sessions_ on others. Most other tracks are just empty even though the overview shows the proper files.

I rebooted, no change. I created a new session and imported session data. No Change. I searched the DUC and discovered some folks blamed their drives, which I was initially dismissive of until I copied my new session over to another drive and all Plists playback fine there. I then moved the "ok" session back over to the original drive thinking it was a corrupt session and its back to the SAME problem but now with _different_ random audio from other sessions! I shut off all plugs, deleted all unused tracks and faders, tweaked settings in the playback engine, ran disk repair, no change. Unfortunately the drive that appears to be giving me problems, for the first time ever, happens to be my main work drive which I haven't had that long, maybe a year or so. Obviously I need to get to the bottom of this because its a huge liability to have PT re-invent my sessions for me. What gives?

One other note - PY was complaining about allocation issues even though I never did anything to change it. It appears to be pointing to the correct drive(?). How do I resolve this issue shot of pitching what seems to be a solid system and a solid drive.

System details
Mac 2x2.8G Quad, 2 Gig 667MHz DIMM, version 10.6.8
Main OS Drive 1TB Seagate SATA
Main work drive 3TB Seagate SATA 60% free
PTHD 9.0.0
Los Angeles Ca
"Award Winning Work, Every time..."
www.duskbennett.com
Old 11-22-2016, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Full scale white noise and random audio

If I remember correctly, PT9.0.0 suffered from this white noise blast bug so first thing you should do would be updating to 9.0.6 or even consider downgrading to 8.1.1 which both work wonderfully on your 10.6.8
Old 02-09-2019, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Full scale white noise and random audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If I remember correctly, PT9.0.0 suffered from this white noise blast bug so first thing you should do would be updating to 9.0.6 or even consider downgrading to 8.1.1 which both work wonderfully on your 10.6.8
I have 9.0.6 HD2, from a couple of week same problem, in more than 15 years, with differents versions and machines never happened to me.. It is possible to listen the recorded right audio with any player... It happens also with import audio. please help