Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2001, 08:32 AM

Default skip all fades?

silly that I don't know this after so many years, but...
if there are a few fades that cannot be found at the beginning of trying to open a session with many fades, if I say "skip all fades", will it really skip all and rebuild all, or only skip the few that it cannot find? In other words, does it bother to look for the other fades, or simply skip and rebuild?

Thanks.

www.tompaul.com
Old 11-15-2001, 09:40 AM

Default Re: skip all fades?

Tomcat,

My understanding is that all fades are rebuilt, and that they will be made using the default fade pattern thats in your preferences.

So, if you had any wacky custom fades, they'll be "defaulted" to whatever your root setup is.

I've not had time to specifically check the manual on this, but I believe that this is what happens to my sessions when I've run into this.

Hope that is some type of help....

Later,

Dawg
Old 11-15-2001, 11:27 AM

Dawg .. what do mean by,

"wacky custom fades"

cos... I thought that all fades would be re-written as they were displayed in the session at the last save.

Perhaps I have been doing the wrong thing by forcing the rebuilt of fades. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2001, 11:36 AM

I too have wondered this.Many times I've had to rebuild the fades. They always seem to sound like the fades I had last. It has never been a problem. But I too would like to know if it rebuilds all fades or just ones it can't find. I'd hate to rebuild existing fades and have a folder full of the same fades. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2001, 03:16 PM

I actually go that step further and delete the fades folder and force PT to rebuild it when the session is next launched.

I always do this when I archive the session to CD.... to save space on the CD, so now I'm worried that the fades are not what was originally intended.

I have done this many times and have never thought the fades were wrong????

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] still.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:33 PM

It builds the same fades that were there before -- create a simple test session with different fades, save the session then delete all the fades and rebuild them all -- they'll be correct.

Oh yes - if you select Skip All - it only rebuilds the fades it can't find.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-15-2001, 04:01 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rail Jon Rogut:
It builds the same fades that were there before -- create a simple test session with different fades, save the session then delete all the fades and rebuild them all -- they'll be correct.

Oh yes - if you select Skip All - it only rebuilds the fades it can't find.

Rail
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cool, rail. thanks.

www.tompaul.com
Old 11-16-2001, 05:56 AM

Folks,

Sure hope you're right on this. My field of reference was from a Digi guy who was visiting me a few years ago. He was troubleshooting a 4.3 session when he asked me if had any custom fades in the session. When I said "yes" he had said that I'd have to rebuild those particular fades that were missing. He said that those fades would drop to the default. So, perhaps this was just a 4.3 issue or I might have misunderstood.

By "wacky custom" I meant nothing other than applying the time to mak really complex crossfades, etc. Nothing pejorative intended [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Digi, got any input?

Thanks as always folks.....

Dawg
Old 11-16-2001, 09:50 AM

Hmm...I hope that was just a 4.3 thing. I always thought that all the fade info was stored in the session, and that the fade files themselves were simply calculations made in advance based on those settings and used by the DAE during playback.

Tom
Old 11-17-2001, 12:02 AM

DigiDawg

As I posted earlier... It's very simple to test on your system.

Create a new session -- make multiple custom fades -- save the session -- close the session -- delete all the fades and reopen the session and opt to Skip All Fades ... all your custom fades will be rebuilt.

Similarly, if you delete just a couple of the fades and Skip all fades... by checking the creation dates of the files in the Finder - you'll be able to confirm that only those fade files which couldn't be found were recreated.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••