Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 02:43 PM

Default Can hard disk in lacie d2 drive be easilly replace

I have an 3 year old lacie d2 120 gig firewire 400 drive whose internal hard disk is getting ready to kik the bucket ie crying whining grinding noise coming out of the unit after about 10 minutes of operation. Fortunately most of it was backed to other drives and I mangaed to get off all that I needed.

Question, can I easily/economically replace the hardrive within the enclosure or is the whole thing one big paper weight. I tried asking this question at the repair dept of the place where I bought the drive and they did not seem to have a ready answer so I'm asking the list.

TIA

B
Old 03-01-2006, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Can hard disk in lacie d2 drive be easilly replace

If you can find a way into the case, then it should be pretty easy as it's just a regular IDE drive in there connected to a firewire bridge, I'm just not sure how one gets into those things, they're not really made for easy swapability. That's why I prefer the "Ice" Oxford 911 cases (like OWC uses) because it's very easy to get inside and change out the drive if you want.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Can hard disk in lacie d2 drive be easilly rep

Geez, I assumed they would be ATA drives. It looks pretty easy to open. There seems to be a dearth of info on this. I may take a look at those OWC drives. Hell of a lot cheaper than rolls of ampex 456 grand master VVBG!