Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-01-2004, 07:00 PM

Default Mixed in the box?

The Grudge. $71.3M in 10 days!!

Marti. Will you ever listen? Didn't anyone ever tell you, ya just can't mix a movie in Pro Tools!!! When are you going to start listening to these people!!

OK. I've kept quiet on this long enough. I can only say so much so I'll leave it up to you all who can speak freely...

Don't count the chickens yet but there is a chance we may have three $100M movies "mixed in the box" this year. Can you name them?

And on an equal note. Can people name which TV shows are being "mixed in the box" this season?
Old 11-01-2004, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Mixed in the box?

Quote:
Poster: Scott Wood
Subject: Re: Mixed in the box?

The Grudge. $71.3M in 10 days!!

Marti. Will you ever listen? Didn't anyone ever tell you, ya just can't mix a movie in Pro Tools!!! When are you going to start listening to these people!!

OK. I've kept quiet on this long enough. I can only say so much so I'll leave it up to you all who can speak freely...

Don't count the chickens yet but there is a chance we may have three $100M movies "mixed in the box" this year. Can you name them?

And on an equal note. Can people name which TV shows are being "mixed in the box" this season?
dr. sound replies:
Scott,
Thanks!! As for listening to people, I always listen to you! I'll say it again, if I never work on a "Large Format Console " again it would be fine with me!!!
As for the Movies I would include "The Grudge", then I would say "Oceans 12" . I don't know what else is "MITB" that would hit $100 Million. How about some help? As for TV shows I'll say " Jag, NCIS, CSI (both), Carnavalle, The Shield, Nip Tuck" a hell of a lot of Reality shows etc. I have to do some more research to see what else is "MITB" on TV.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I have to do some more research to see what else is "MITB" on TV.
I can help you there!

The following programs are MIXed in the box.
"Guess Who's Coming to Decorate", "Whose Wedding is it Anyway?", "Health Cops", and "Things I Hate About You".
Old 11-01-2004, 09:52 PM

Scott,

Rodriguez had two last year all by himself:

SK3: $200 Million world wide completely MITB
Once Upon a Time in Mexico: $98 Million Woldwide totally MITB

and two more in 2005 that will no doubt be MITB:

Sin City: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401792/ (check out the cast)
Adventures of Shark Boy & Lava Girl in 3-D: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424774/

-feaks
Old 11-01-2004, 10:26 PM

Marti

My work pales in comparison to yours!!! You're buying lunch next time.

To add to the list, Ive mixed over a dozen or so Discovery/Travel Channel shows,
and 54 episodes of MXC "In the box", (too bad Spike TVs broadcast limiters are set to -19db)!!!
Ask the Pirate to add his and Roy also mixes all his shows ITB

Tape is dead, long live tape.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:07 PM

Hello. First off let me say that I am very much a strong advocate of mixing in the box. It works for me and most people I know. On a somewhat unrelated note I am also a strong advocate of capturing Location/Production audio to a Pro Tools system and skip the transfer from a DAT, Deva, Nagra, etc. I mention this to illustrate that I am very much an advocate of doing things that work and simplifying workflow, even if that means going against the 'established' way of doing things.

However as a good Libra I can always talk out of both sides of my mouth and basically have an argument all by myself. To play devil's advocate here, most of the people I have come across who don't like mixing in the box never say that it can't be done. Just that they don't like it and see no benefit. That's my experience anyway.

While in the music business we saw an anhilation of the old established workflow and tools that gave way to DAW's, I think there were and are some major economic factors at play there. Factors which I don't see at play in the world of mixing feature films. Movies set box office records year in and year out. So the budgets are there. There is no similar cataclism to what we have seen in music.

To my mind this means that those who do not want to move to a different way of working with others tools, ie mixing inside a DAW, will not be forced to. There simply is just too much work out there. Many, many people with established way of working that when a given a choice will work a certain way.

I like to mix in the box. I think a significant chunk of people like Marti will (in the words of Jimi) wave the freak flag of MITB, so to speak. I just don't think we will see the massive paradigm shift we saw in music. Not anytime soon anyway.

Today more so than ever, choose the tools that work for you.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:54 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have to agree with you Froyo. I think it comes down to people like to work the way they are comfortable...and for many that means not to change, or they are happy with the way they work and don't stress over it.

>most of the people I have come across who don't like mixing in the box never say that it can't be >done. Just that they don't like it and see no benefit. That's my experience anyway.

Yes, I too have heard this. A large part of it too is the fact that the number of dub stages in the world that use traditional digital/analog style consoles far out number MITB setups. Therefore you have workers that have used the equipment they are comfortable with for so long...they like it.

>Factors which I don't see at play in the world of mixing feature films. Movies set box office >records year in and year out. So the budgets are there. There is no similar cataclism to what we >have seen in music

Yes.

>wave the freak flag of MITB, so to speak. I just don't think we will see the massive paradigm shift >we saw in music. Not anytime soon anyway.

Im not sure I understand Froyo why people 'wave a freak flag for MITB". Technically speaking it's not such an advanced revolution to utilize a DAW for summming and plugins. In broadcast and TV stuff has been mixed in the box for some time now.

>Today more so than ever, choose the tools that work for you

From an economic standpoint, mixing in the box for dubbing is wonderful. It gives smaller studios the chance to chase bigger projects. Im quite pleased that other manufacturers are taking notice too.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:16 PM

My first MITB show was...at least 6 or 7 years ago. I knew it couldn't be done but I did it anyway .
Old 11-02-2004, 11:30 PM

Yeah, all my shows for that past 2 years have been MITB. Wouldn't have it any other way.
IMDB
LinkedIn
www.emfreq.com
Old 11-03-2004, 12:35 AM

The eptiome of shows mixed "ITB" are the many low-budget TV shows that are a video editor's Avid output, straight to broadcast. Scary stuff.