Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 07-16-2019, 03:33 PM

Default HP omen laptop with pro tools 12?

As far as specs go, it meets all of acids reccomend specifications, I'm just confused on the base clock speed.
Windows 10 Home 64
Intel® Core™ i7-8750H (2.2 GHz, up to 4.1 GHz, 9 MB cache, 6 cores) NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
32 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (2x16GB)
15.6" diagonal FHD IPS anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

I thought it was a hell of a deal for 12 hundred. The place I currently record, he uses a older model iMac and he struggles sometimes due to ram issues. (He only has 8 GB in it) I'm not sure about the processor. But I'm wanting to go back to doing most of my recording myself. I've noticed alot of people seem to have 3.2 and up as their base clock speed, this one is from 2.2 to 4.1 with 6 cores. I'm assuming the 2.2 to 4.1 means turbi boosts to that? I've read alot of users here say they have to turn turbo boosting off for pro tools.

I'm only familiar with pro tools from working with it at my engineers set up. When I used to record myself it was on basic DAWs maybe 8 years ago. I'm just curious if my clock speed would he sufficient, I record hip hop, I've reached 100 audio tracks before but that's only been when I have tracked out instrumentals that I've leased, and sometimes I dont have to add any further eqs or anything to those parts, I just tweak certain instruments volumes to fit around my vocals better. Or I just edit the arrangement. Any feed back would be appreciated. I'm just hoping this set up could last me a while. And I'm also sure I could upgrade the processor myself couldnt I needed? Just wasnt forsure if I would need too.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:30 PM

Default Re: HP omen laptop with pro tools 12?

Sorry if this was in the wrong area, I read the get started page, anyone have any input on that base clock speed of 2.2-4.1 ? That's all I'm curious about.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:09 AM

According to the Intel spec sheet for that processor: "Max turbo frequency is the maximum single core frequency at which the processor is capable of operating using Intel® Turbo Boost Technology and, if present, Intel® Thermal Velocity Boost. Frequency is measured in gigahertz (GHz), or billion cycles per second."

I'm not sure if you would be able to replace the processor in that laptop. It "may" be soldered in place.

That laptop is advertised as a gaming laptop. You "might" get good PT performance from it, but I can't say for sure. Others on the forum may have better advice. Just give the thread a little time for some more responses.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:06 PM

Got a 17" Omen. 1070, i78750, 32 GB, 512 SSD, 1000 HD.

ACPI seems to be THE culprit. Interrupt responsen Times acc to "latency monitor" app, exceeds limits now and then.

Disabling the "ACPI Control metod batteri" improves THE response Times considerably. HP says don't för that. Swollen battery att risk.

Also setting processor affinity such that pro tools uses cores 3-6 (5-12) and leaving cores 1-2 (1-4) to Windows/system also improves performance quite abit.

Core Speed can be somewhat controlled in Windows power Scheme settings. Max and min processor set to 100% yields 3,91 to 4,04 GHZ on My Omen.

Hope it helps.

Skickat från min Moto G (5) via Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2019, 02:19 PM

Yes! Thank you, I appreciate it.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:28 AM

I got my laptop in! one question, I should install protools on my SSD right? or should it be the HDD? my OS is installed under the SSD. I read someone say to install it in the drive that doesn't contain the OS, but I thought since this laptop will be for music only it would be best to put it on the SSD and anything else on the HDD.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:33 AM

Where did you get that advice??

PT should be on the OS drive and you record to a second drive minimum 7200rpm or SSD for that aswell.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-28-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post

PT should be on the OS drive and you record to a second drive minimum 7200rpm or SSD for that aswell.
thank you! one more question, you said I record to the other drive? im sorry that's probably a stupid question, but idk if I don't ask.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:53 AM

Watch out for Windows OneDrive . My PT installation ended Up such that OD went synching large amounts of data, taking lots of time , and then finallt bumping into ODs 5 GB default limit. A mess. Then I did something with the OD settings, , cant remember exactly what, but the synching stopped.

Next time I install PT fresh, I Will try to furst install One Drive.

This shoyld not be an issue particular to HP OMEN, but PT on Windows. So maybe there is bettet advice elsewhere here on DUC

Skickat från min Moto G (5) via Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post

wait, do you mean what protools has listed as the record drive in the menu? I just now made that connection lol.