Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Huge adc bug!??

Yes, it´s a freakn disgrace the way this has been handled!
We have been bitching about this for a long time now.
It is quite frankly unbelievable that they haven´t addressed this bug yet.
Avid don´t seem to understand the way this is affecting music creation.
The fact that the midi doesn´t end up where you played it is outrageous!
And the fact that it´s is practically impossible to rec arm a midi track if you have any kind of latency in Your session is another, and related, bug.
So pleeeeease, fix this damn thing NOW!
Even if it´s a big undertaking with lots of changes "under the hood".
By now we could have built Rome.

Wake up!

Peer
Old 10-07-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Masterplan -

There's a simple workaround for this - bounce a version of your session to a new track, then disable ADC and mute all tracks other than the bounced one and your VI track. You can then record a new VI track without worrying about the ADC issue.

As for the status of this issue - it's being worked on but, as I indicated earlier, it's not a simple fix. It then has to be tested and merged into a release. This is usually a few months of time, minimum. I'm sorry that the news isn't better - I'm just trying to be realistic about projections.
So that was a year ago.

Now I'm thinking of moving from 7.4 to 8.1, but the whole point would be to use more VIs.

Can't believe this issue has still not been addressed.

-R
Old 10-07-2010, 04:30 PM

Time to get working on those Logic chops methinks...
Old 10-07-2010, 05:35 PM

There's often times a workaround for the software bugs that Avid so often graces us with. The thing that is SO maddening about this one is that there is absolutely nothing any of us can do to get around this one, shy of using another DAW. We're totally left holding the bag on this one while we're being told that we just have to be patient, they'll get around to it. That's some f'd up priorities if, and I know no one did, you ask me.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
There's often times a workaround for the software bugs that Avid so often graces us with. The thing that is SO maddening about this one is that there is absolutely nothing any of us can do to get around this one, shy of using another DAW. We're totally left holding the bag on this one while we're being told that we just have to be patient, they'll get around to it. That's some f'd up priorities if, and I know no one did, you ask me.
What is even more maddening is the fact that the this was not discovered in the test phase. I seem to remember that PT 8 was announced as the "New and Creative DAW" with lots of VIs.... Guess they never really tried it 'midi wise' before they released it...

But then again - in 2010 - you still have to stop playback to unarm a rec track. And an RTAS cannot be active if rec mode is on but then again it can if a TDM is sitting before it. And one cant bounce with inputs enabled. Limitations that remind me of IBM in the 70'ies....

2010 2010 2010 this is supposed to B the future
Old 10-08-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
you still have to stop playback to unarm a rec track. And an RTAS cannot be active if rec mode is on but then again it can if a TDM is sitting before it. And one cant bounce with inputs enabled. Limitations that remind me of IBM in the 70'ies....
Made in America by foreigners?

Old 10-08-2010, 02:26 AM

so what exactly is the problem? please explain...
Old 10-08-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeyy View Post
so what exactly is the problem? please explain...
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=253266

read first 5 pages

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native
Old 10-08-2010, 05:36 AM

So AVID!

We're all excited about hearing what you had in mind when you're now releasing a native version of Pro Tools HD!!??
Your, by now, famous ADC bug is annoying even when using "very low" latency plugins, but now, people will (if they´re not stupid) clearly notice the effect of your mistake, since they, if using just RTAS plugins, won´t be able to "quantize the problem away" anymore.

What you record, is going to end up so wrong that the only workaround will be to quantize everything with the resolution "4 bars".
(could you add that resolution to version 8.1 cs 2??)

But I guess that we´ll be hearing that workaround from you as well, before we´ll get a bugfix.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:00 AM

Can't you just turn ADC off when you're tracking? I mean, I know it's not ideal, and I'm not excusing AVID for a second, but compared to the mixing board catching fire, the tape machine spinning wildly without stopping, the air con breaking down, etc etc (all of which have happened to me) it's not that bad, is it? This bug hasn't stopped me making records, that's all I'm saying. Unlike the other examples.