Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Replacing snare

the big advantage of soundreplacer over pasting samples is that it follows the dynamics of the original track.
I use it on my whole trk, then go thru each hit via tab to transient and check it for accuracy and eliminate any mis triggers from tom fills etc. Takes about 10 min to fix up a 3 minute snare track.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:40 AM

When Strip Silence cuts the region into multiple does it automatically add the fades?
Old 06-16-2005, 08:08 PM

im very anal about phase. sound replacer isnt. i still use it from time to time, but i find that i spend more time moving its work into phase than not... it can work well if you dont want to keep the original snare and you dont care if the sample and the overheads combine to sound like a flam!!!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:27 PM

You can make a track underneath the orignal snare where you start by putting your sample. Next group that track with the original snare track and select the sample by tabbing to transient. Make sure it also copies empty space (no audio file) on the orginal track with the sample. Now tab to transient and paste throughout the song. Every hit should be locked up tight with the original. Go back and maybe do some gain processing to give it more feel in refernece to the original. A poor mans sound replacer.

EVEN BETTER THAN THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : Spend the extra time making your drums sound good, cuz triggered drums sound like crap! HEHEHE
Old 06-16-2005, 08:56 PM

since I don't have sound replacer, I have created a MIDI track alongside my snare track, then penciled in a snare hit for each actual audio hit (you could tab to transient as described earlier). Then either completely replace, or mix in my sampled (I have an Alesis DM5) sound with the original audio track. It's time consuming, but works.
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
www.doubledogrecording.com
Old 06-17-2005, 04:42 AM

I also have never been able to get sound replacer to work perfectly.

Phase issues.

Here's how I do it.

1. Duplicate snare track. Mute the duplicate.
2. Consolidate that track into one big region. (unless it already was)
3. Open Beat Detective and have it seperate every single snare hit into a seperate region. (you may need to manually add and delete triggers.
4. Turn off tab to transient feature.
5. Add a new track right above the sliced up track.
6. Copy the snare sample you want to add.
7. Click a little before the first sliced snare and type (Tab-p-v-
8. That will add one snare. Repeat that for every snare and you're done.
9. Using a macro program like Quickeys lets you make (Tab-p-v- one keystroke. You can actually just hold it down and it does the whole track in ten seconds.
10. You might want to adjust gain for the fills, ghost notes and builds.

Good Luck
Old 06-17-2005, 08:03 AM

Aptrigga
http://www.apulsoft.ch/aptrigga/index.php

...using the VST wrapper works perfectly. Highly recommended.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:42 AM

Quote:
since I don't have sound replacer, I have created a MIDI track alongside my snare track, then penciled in a snare hit for each actual audio hit (you could tab to transient as described earlier). Then either completely replace, or mix in my sampled (I have an Alesis DM5) sound with the original audio track. It's time consuming, but works.
save yourself some time. the DM will convert audio to midi for you. no need to do the penciling by hand.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:05 PM

Quote:
im very anal about phase. sound replacer isnt. i still use it from time to time, but i find that i spend more time moving its work into phase than not... it can work well if you dont want to keep the original snare and you dont care if the sample and the overheads combine to sound like a flam!!!
i experienced this problem too so i go and nudge the replaced snare track a bit forward so it fits the overheads and on really much hits also the original snare.

its also fun to fatten up an original snare with the strip silence command (now that i know how to use it in PT 5.1.1).

Until soon.