Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 07-13-2019, 05:46 PM

Default True or False - It's possible to remove a video from a session

True or False:

It is possible to import a video into a vanilla Pro Tools session, then delete the track / remove the video and not get any dialogs the next time you open the session?

Before you answer, try it.

I contend that once you import a video into a session, the only way to get rid of it is to Save Copy As... and choose "only selected tracks"
Old 07-13-2019, 08:25 PM

Default Re: True or False - It's possible to remove a video from a session

Have you checked the session workspace to see if the video is still there (in workspaces)?

I can't run vanilla but I've never had a problem before if you make sure it is gone from the clip side (and if not that, the workspace browser)
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3.1, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire Max11 x 2, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.6 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 07-15-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Have you checked the session workspace to see if the video is still there (in workspaces)?

I can't run vanilla but I've never had a problem before if you make sure it is gone from the clip side (and if not that, the workspace browser)
Yeah, I've done everything. It seems to be a bug that has persisted since PT11. It's not the end of the world, I can deal with the dialog... I'm just too lazy to Save a copy as... :\
Old 07-15-2019, 02:01 PM

You will have to go into the Clip List and delete the video from there.

View>OtherDisplays>ClipList [or just hit the arrow at the bottom right of the edit window]. Hit the arrow at the top right of the clip list, deselect 'Audio', and make sure 'Video' is selected, then find the video clip you'd like to remove, select it and clear it from the list.

The next time you launch the session you won't get the missing files dialog.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentWilliams View Post
You will have to go into the Clip List and delete the video from there.

View>OtherDisplays>ClipList [or just hit the arrow at the bottom right of the edit window]. Hit the arrow at the top right of the clip list, deselect 'Audio', and make sure 'Video' is selected, then find the video clip you'd like to remove, select it and clear it from the list.

The next time you launch the session you won't get the missing files dialog.

That's the whole problem though - it doesn't work that way in vanilla PT. There is no option for 'video' in the clip list.

This is pretty clearly a bug that they allow to stick around precisely because of how annoying it is. Makes Ultimate look that much better.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 07-16-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftalive View Post
That's the whole problem though - it doesn't work that way in vanilla PT. There is no option for 'video' in the clip list.

This is pretty clearly a bug that they allow to stick around precisely because of how annoying it is. Makes Ultimate look that much better.
Amazing .. ! I guess I've just been around HD/Ultimate for too long and forget what its like to have limited features.

Sorry dude, that's annoying.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:51 AM

It's not a bug, it's just how Pro Tools Vanilla is. One video clip, one video track. Not allowed to create a video track in vanilla. Just import one video clip that will populate its own track. It will not show up in the clip list as you cannot have multiple video clips in a vanilla session. If you want "remove" the video clip from the session, just delete the video track. If you want a version of the session without the video clip, just Save As... then delete the track. Remember the video will be referenced, unless force copied into the Video Files folder (or manually copied afterwards).
Pro Tools Ultimate allows multiple video tracks (up to 64) and basic video editing features, cut, copy, paste, etc. But can ONLY playback one track at a time. This was the same in HD, before Ultimate was released
Hope that info helps.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:52 AM

The video track is kind of bonded to the the clip in Vanilla. No clip, no track
Old 07-16-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbutler View Post
It's not a bug, it's just how Pro Tools Vanilla is. One video clip, one video track. Not allowed to create a video track in vanilla. Just import one video clip that will populate its own track. It will not show up in the clip list as you cannot have multiple video clips in a vanilla session. If you want "remove" the video clip from the session, just delete the video track. If you want a version of the session without the video clip, just Save As... then delete the track. Remember the video will be referenced, unless force copied into the Video Files folder (or manually copied afterwards).
Pro Tools Ultimate allows multiple video tracks (up to 64) and basic video editing features, cut, copy, paste, etc. But can ONLY playback one track at a time. This was the same in HD, before Ultimate was released
Hope that info helps.
Except that, again - with respect - that isn't how it actually works. (I just tried it all again on a brand new session)

If you import a video to a vanilla session, the reference to that video, in that exact location, will forever be a part of that session, it seems.
You can delete the video track, but the reference (to the video) is still there in the video files folder in the workspace. You can't delete it there though - it tells you to delete the video track... you know - the one you've already deleted.

So if you do anything to the original video (move it for archiving, delete it, rename it, etc.), the session will throw an error about a missing file, and there doesn't seem to be anything you can do about it.

I remember someone mentioning a work around of sorts, whereby you'd rename another file with the same name, and then try deleting that, but I've only ever had success with that once, which is weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbutler View Post
The video track is kind of bonded to the the clip in Vanilla. No clip, no track
Which would be fine, if it also worked the other way around.

No track - no reference to a clip.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 07-17-2019, 07:32 AM

Correct. And it was that way long before PT 11. It's been a pebble in our shoe ever since there was such thing as "vanilla" Pro Tools (though why we call it that is a mystery to me - TDM bore no relationship to chocolate that I could discern). So, that's what, PT6, I think? Nearly two decades.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB