Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-10-2003, 03:19 PM

Default DIGI, Rocket Network going out of business, what\'s it mean for Digistudio?

From an article on Pro Sound news:
News

Rocket Calls It Quits

Burlingame, CA (March 11, 2003)--After five years of work developing and integrating its collaboration and delivery service, Rocket Network has been forced to shut down operations. While the company reached a substantial market (65,000 users) over its history, very few of those users were willing to pay for the Rocket service, and those who did were not using it often enough to cover Rocket's costs of operation.

According to Rocket Network president and CEO Pam Miller, the company was too far ahead of the market. "We believe it will be a couple of years yet until the market begins to embrace digital delivery and collaboration," Miller wrote in a letter informing of Rocket's termination. "Given the current economic climate, we have been unable to secure additional financing to hold us until the market catches up. We still deeply believe in the dream of music and post-production communities working on a project simultaneously from anywhere in the world."

Rocket Network plans to shut down its server on March 31, 2003, at the end of its fiscal year, and users with time remaining on a pre-paid account as of that date will be credited the unused balance.

Rocket Network

I was thinking of joining Digistudio at some point down the road, so just curious -
Thanks
Old 03-10-2003, 08:43 PM

Default Re: DIGI, Rocket Network going out of business, what\'s it mean for Digistudio?

It was a cool idea but flawed. Who really needs to upload to a 3rd party server then download at the other end. It slows down the whole process. The only advantage is that you can work with someone in another timezone who can download the session when you are not working.

What would have been MUCH better would have been to enable direct P2P connections over TCP/IP. Then people could work much faster together over a network.

Of course this is not as profitable as running a 'storage server' but WAY more useful in real world applications. Studios with multiple ProTools rooms could assign workload to several people and then have it all come together in the mix room, etc etc.

Digi need to buy this out and incorporate it into ProTools as a standard feature.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:25 PM

Default Re: DIGI, Rocket Network going out of business, what\'s it mean for Digistudio?

I read somewhere on digi's site that pt 6 didn't have digistudio in it. Is this true? I guess they saw the writing on the wall...
Old 03-11-2003, 06:13 AM

Does this mean there's no way to send big ol' PT files over the internet quickly? Are there other ways to do it? I need to start doing colaboration with other studios out of state...Thanks.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:30 AM

Hello. Allbaldo all you really need for transfer is bandwidth, as in a broadband connection. T1, DSL, Cable, etc. Then you can set up an FTP transfer and voila!
Old 03-11-2003, 06:40 AM

You could check this out

www.filesanywhere.com

Uploading is slow, even with a cable modem. I use a separate computer to handle the uploads. My Mac accesses that over a LAN.

Or set up your own FTP server as suggested.

Or just use FedEx. No realtime collaboration, but fast and cheap.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 03-14-2003, 02:35 PM

I heard a rumor a while ago that Rocket was going down and that it wasn't going to be in PT6. I asked Bruce McPherson (Northeast Sales Rep) about it at the PT6 demo and he said DigiStudio was going to keep operating.

A friend of mine who tends to be in the know about these things told me that Digidesign is going to buy out the remainder of Rocket Network and use their technology to keep DigiProNet operational, but I don't know if that's true or not.

If there are any digi reps out there reading this: please post something legitimate and stop the rumor mill!

PEACE
gp
Old 03-14-2003, 06:04 PM

I got an email from both Rocket and Digi saying it is shutting down on March 31, 2003. So this should make it clear at this point in time.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:34 AM

If you were serious about international file transfers, you'd set up an tunneling system between the two sites directly
Old 03-15-2003, 10:13 AM

i never really understood this concept, except I guess in cases where you were not willing to pay for some basic web hosting. I can understand a group check in out system such as is used on a internal network such as in graphic houses etc. But for around $15 a month anyone can buy space on a server and have a password accessible directory that can be used for uploading files and sessions to. It is totally impractical to do this with large projects since even with a fast dsl account that has fast uploads (uncommon and expensive) it would take more time to do it this way than to just fedex a DVR.

I now have a enhanced DSL service with a 384K upload speed and it is not a problem to upload an umcompressed mix or two to my web site but it would be an incredible waste to try to upload a 2-4 gig session.
I do think that the real problem is not the market but the fact that none of the big telecommunications companies is willing to invest in the infrastructure to build a truly fast two way pipe for data (which is technically feasible). Also, media companies fear this for obvious reasons. Unless the government steps in and invests public money it will never happen. In our private sector driven society I don't see it. Remember, the original internet was developed by public money and would never have occurred in a private sector world. Instead you would have had 50,000 different internets each with different protocols competing for bigger market share and constantly going in and out of business.