Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2002, 04:09 PM

Default G3 performance

Hi, I've been a PC user for years and now I would like to purchase a computer to work with PTLE and the 001. I can purchase the G3 (and want to purchase a mac) but specifications seems to be poor (processor of 450Hz, PC100 SDRAM) in comparison to some PC at the same price (1.2 GHz processor,PC1600 DDRRAM). At the PC conference there is a test of performance, can any G3 user please tell me their system performance (number of tracks full of plug-ins (delay,compressor,eq,NO reverb) that can record 60 secs. simultaneously without peaking to red the CPU)? Thanks, hope no bother, I don't know too much about mac [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Victor
Old 05-26-2002, 04:23 PM

Default Re: G3 performance

Dude,
I think there is something you really need to know first. I believe all of the PC user are using custom built machines. I really don't think you can use an out of the box PC to do the job. You should check out the PC forum and ask what they are using. I don't really think you would be able to set-up a PC for PT use at the same price of a used G3. I think you can have a nice PC build for about a grand. (And if you are will to spent a grand on a used G3 then I have a some land in Florida to sell you). The nice things about Macs is you can use them out of the box, I don't think so with a PC. Do yourself a favor and see what the specs are for the PC side. If you are on a limited funds the G3 may be your best bet. Also do a search on G3 performance. It has been posted many times. You can also up-grade the G3 to a G4 proccessor.

Toecat
Old 05-27-2002, 04:31 AM

Default Re: G3 performance

You might want to hunt around for a G4 instead, it'll give you more power in future, A 450Mhz G3 won't be any slower than a 450Mhz G4 but the newer G4s have faster RAM and you can pick up a 733Mhz G4 for under £1,000. Also, If you plan on using software synths at all, the mac is your only option because there's no Directconnect on the PC.

If you do plan on using software synths, a G4 would give you a lot more CPU power than a G3 even if the clock speeds are the same. To run a software synth on a G3 you'd need to literally split the CPU usage in half and give 50% to protools and 50% to the synth to get reasonable performance out of both. With a G4 you could get better performance in protools by allocating 70% to protools and 30% to the software synth while still getting the same performance with the software synth. Obviously seeing as I've only got a G3 at present I'm just assuming on the G4 performance based on the fact that a lot of the software synths that have been out for a few years doubled in performance with G4 optimisations and then doubled again when dual G4s came out.

If software synths arn't something that interest you, still aim for the fastest system you can afford, you can pick up a recent model second hand for very little if you shop around.