Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2020, 09:02 AM

Default Might as well be new

I may as well be new at this - I own a home studio and I have been running a 2006 iMac with a Digi-002 and PT 10 with OS 10.5.3 for about 10 years (the iMac since 2008). I think it's time for a change! But, there is just sooooo much out there about everything in between where I am and where the PT world is now.

My thoughts are to get like a 2015ish refurb iMac, run PT11 on Yosemite, and keep the 002. I have found threads from back then where people have made that work. How late in PT world can I go and still use the 002? (I know it's not officially supported anymore. 003?)

OR... should I get a newer refurb and run current PT without a hardware interface? Can that even be done? Is it a pain in the butt? I like having faders.

I am trying upgrade and not have to shell out $$$$ for a new interface.

Any advice welcome!

https://www.foundationrecordingstudio.com/
Old 07-29-2020, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Might as well be new

I would strongly advise buying current software and as current computer as your budget permits. Plenty of interfaces to choose from later, much better than age old 00x family.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:27 AM

... but in case you want to weigh your options, 00x driver info here.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:51 AM

You absolutely want a hardware interface(unless you do no recording at all and only edit or mix). If you work alone, any of the 2 in-2 out options would be fine. Presonus, Focusrite and MOTU all have solid "affordable" options. RME and Apogee are better, but carry the price tag that goes with that(totally your choice on if the extra money is worth it for your needs). As for faders, as much as I liked the 002 and 003(and owned both), these days, I would recommend a separate fader surface. If all you need is a single fader to write volume automation, the Presonus Faderport works very nicely(I actually prefer the older version because it includes buttons to swap between MIX and EDIT windows). Need more faders? Avid S1 is really good. Artist Mix(used) is plenty good. Presonus Faderport8 is another option(just know that HUI protocol is not as deep as Eucon). Most anyone I know with an Avid Dock likes it a lot. My 2 cents; skip the Behringer controllers(too may features that won't work in HUI).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-29-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven62 View Post
I may as well be new at this - I own a home studio and I have been running a 2006 iMac with a Digi-002 and PT 10 with OS 10.5.3 for about 10 years (the iMac since 2008). I think it's time for a change! But, there is just sooooo much out there about everything in between where I am and where the PT world is now.

My thoughts are to get like a 2015ish refurb iMac, run PT11 on Yosemite, and keep the 002. I have found threads from back then where people have made that work. How late in PT world can I go and still use the 002? (I know it's not officially supported anymore. 003?)

OR... should I get a newer refurb and run current PT without a hardware interface? Can that even be done? Is it a pain in the butt? I like having faders.

I am trying upgrade and not have to shell out $$$$ for a new interface.

Any advice welcome!

https://www.foundationrecordingstudio.com/
My thoughts are:

What do you want to upgrade?

I had a look at your web page, and you must understand that moving beond PT10 means that all your RTAS stuff will be incompatible! Or at least have to be upgraded. Lots of work and some cost I would think.

Interface?. Sounds like you are happy working with the faders on 002. Upgrading to a S1 is not cheap.

Sound? I can only tell you I've been thru 001, mbox'es, M-audio's and I was shocked to hear the quality jump when I recently switched to a small Focusrite 2i2. It also beats my old Apogee Duet. And I used most of these on my Dynaudio BM6's, which I know very well. Modern tech is lots of audio quality for little money, compared to ten years ago.

PT10 is a good workhorse. Only you can know if going to current version is worth it for you. Should you choose to stay there, I can recommend a very low cost upgrade: get a used Command8 and a new/refurbished 2 in 2 out modern great sounding interface. I did, and it cost me about 400 USD.

That would be the easy solution. Upgrading your sound, and keeping the 8 faders controller.

Going to a higher version of PT means much more cost in the form of computer spec requirements and upgrading both interface and plugins.

Or is it simply more computer power you want?

Going from 10 to 11 just makes no sense IMO.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Going from 10 to 11 just makes no sense IMO.
That, and unless your license bundle already has PT11 there is no upgrade path to PT11 specifically, you would need to go for latest which has PT10/11/12/current licenses.