Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools First no free (23) plugins showing up

man o' man my brain is hurting.. I had no idea to look there.. nothing points in that direction.. I'm downloading it now.. I'll assume here that it's going to show up now.. But to make certain I understand.. going bigger with the plugins question.. I have bunches of aax plugins that I brought over from my other mac when I using older versions of pro tools.. all sorts of everything imaginable, Maschine, vacuum, hybrid, boom, db33 etc etc.. Even though these are all aax do I understand correctly that I cannot use any of them with PT 1st? (adding to post: thank you.. UVI workstation is alive and well now) . And so sorry.. but i now have another important question.. I always use external drives for my PT sessions.. Am i understanding this correctly.. I only have a limited amount of projects i can have with PT First and they are all stored off of my computer? I don't have "save as" option here, and i don't see any place to set the external drive as the source..

Last edited by caz; 07-15-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:47 PM

Default Re: novice needs help.. PT 1st upgrade / missing plugins

thank you.. that was dumb.. I got a bit confused for a good moment there.. and to put this to rest (i hope) for me.. If i upgraded to the year subscription, will i then be able to use all of my aax plugins I used to use on my older PT versions? And lastly, where would VST and older Digidesign .dpm plugins fit into that question?
Old 07-15-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
thank you.. that was dumb.. I got a bit confused for a good moment there.. and to put this to rest (i hope) for me.. If i upgraded to the year subscription, will i then be able to use all of my aax plugins I used to use on my older PT versions? And lastly, where would VST and older Digidesign .dpm plugins fit into that question?
VSTs are not directly supported by Pro Tools (any version)

There are other plugin hosts that can use them (like Blue Cat Patchwork or Nugen SigMod) to make them available in Pro Tools.

DPM plugins are only for Pro Tools 10 and below. They are not usable in current versions.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:32 PM

thank you.. so these.. like Blue Cat Patchwork or Nugen SigMod.. am i correct.. these won't work in PT First.. and all of my other aax plug ins I've used with PT 10 and below before getting into PT First.. (because I upgraded my mac and peripherals).. they will not work with PT First.. but they will work if I upgrade to a paid subscription?
Old 07-15-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
thank you.. so these.. like Blue Cat Patchwork or Nugen SigMod.. am i correct.. these won't work in PT First..
They won't because they are third party plugins
Quote:
and all of my other aax plug ins I've used with PT 10 and below before getting into PT First.. (because I upgraded my mac and peripherals).. they will not work with PT First.. but they will work if I upgrade to a paid subscription?
64 bit AAX plugins will work. Most/many plugin makers made 64 bit plugins when the change over happened. But below PT 10, it was 32 bit RTAS/DPM plugins so it will depend if those companies made 64 bit AAX plugins and allow you to use them (or pay a minimal cost to upgrade to 64 bit AAX plugins.)

32 bit plugins and RTAS plugins will not work with current Pro Tools. (32 bit plugins not working is pretty much common to all major DAWs in 2019.)
Old 07-15-2019, 04:13 PM
Avid

Quote:
man o' man my brain is hurting.. I had no idea to look there.. nothing points in that direction.. I'm downloading it now.. I'll assume here that it's going to show up now.. But to make certain I understand.. going bigger with the plugins question.. I have bunches of aax plugins that I brought over from my other mac when I using older versions of pro tools.. all sorts of everything imaginable, Maschine, vacuum, hybrid, boom, db33 etc etc.. Even though these are all aax do I understand correctly that I cannot use any of them with PT 1st? (adding to post: thank you.. UVI workstation is alive and well now) . And so sorry.. but i now have another important question.. I always use external drives for my PT sessions.. Am i understanding this correctly.. I only have a limited amount of projects i can have with PT First and they are all stored off of my computer? I don't have "save as" option here, and i don't see any place to set the external drive as the source..
No worries.

PT First is cloud based. You can save offline but only as cache file. You can check more info at http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ools-First-FAQ
and at https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison
Old 07-15-2019, 05:16 PM

i do not want to use cloud.. i want to backup to my own hard disk..
This article...
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...three-projects

states: The limit of 3 Projects was removed from Pro Tools | First in April 2019 when "Backup to Cloud" was made optional for all users (previously required an additional subscription). Disabling this option in the Dashboard allows you to create unlimited local Projects.

I've been searching for several hours.. I cannot find anything that tells me how to disable the cloud in the "dashboard". I've really been trying..
Another discussion i found info stating a user can use the "save copy in" command to choose where to save.. I do not have that option in my PT First..
I'm assuming that is not showing up because I have not disabled the cloud..
which, as I mentioned, I cannot figure out how to do.. I find no article, discussion or help page that tells a user how to do this.. Can someone please assist with this..

Update:

i do not want to use cloud.. i want to backup to my own hard disk..
This article...
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...three-projects

states: The limit of 3 Projects was removed from Pro Tools | First in April 2019 when "Backup to Cloud" was made optional for all users (previously required an additional subscription). Disabling this option in the Dashboard allows you to create unlimited local Projects.

I've been searching for several hours.. I cannot find anything that tells me how to disable the cloud in the "dashboard". I've really been trying..
Another discussion i found info stating a user can use the "save copy in" command to choose where to save.. I do not have that option in my PT First..
I'm assuming that is not showing up because I have not disabled the cloud..
which, as I mentioned, I cannot figure out how to do.. I find no article, discussion or help page that tells a user how to do this.. Can someone please assist with this..

Update:

Ok.. I figured this out.. It's not storing locally in the older sense of the term.. you store it in cache form so that you can have more projects going at once "in essence".. And the elusive dashboard that is referenced wherein one can control this.. It's not my avid user dashboard as I was understanding.. (there is not specificity on this for necessary clarification).. it's the dashboard one sees when opening PT that lists the projects.. It is here that you can delete a project from the cloud and "sync" a different project from your own HD cache and then work on that in PT.. jeez.. out in this other thing called the world outside of PT I actually consider myself to be a fairly intellectual, well adapted human being.. That feeling goes away for the most part when I come across such seemingly minor snags in my PT evolution.. (but it's almost like I evolved so slowly for so many years up to PT 10 and then had to start all over again). I'd like a drink now...

Last edited by caz; 07-15-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:25 PM

thank you.. all the plug ins that I have are aax.. they are in the same plugins folder and reside alongside of the free PT First plugins that came with the PT First download.. however, my aax plugins that I am speaking of will not show up in PT First.. The aax plugins that are in the same folder that came with the download do show up however..

Are you saying that although the plugins I have had and have been using on older PT versions say they are aax that these are not 64 bit aax and, therefore, i cannot use them above PT 10 or...

Since my plugins all show as axx in the avid plugins folder that these can only be the 64bit aax that has been mentioned.. (there are no 32 bit aax?)

which means they should be showing up in PT First and something is wrong?
It's a bit confusing and I hope my questions and lack of understanding clearly are making sense.. and thanks for the help...
Old 07-15-2019, 05:36 PM

Third party plugins will not show up in PT First unless bought through the marketplace. Period. Don't complicate this.

There are/were 32 bit AAX plugins. Those would have to be updated. Any installer in the last few years would have been/included 64 bit AAX versions.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:47 PM

OK.. thank you.. it's clear now.. I thought that any aax should be working.. i didn't understand that older ones were in fact 32 bit and would not work even though they are aax.. Simple as it seems it was (until your response) lost on me.. I appreciate you taking the time..